Super Blue Blood Moon 2018

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Gaf said:
AlanF said:
Here is a quicky, hand held 5DSR 400mm II + 2xTC. Top is natural, bottom is overcontrasted and microcontrasted by racking up DxO Photolab, ugh.

I really like the bottom version. I think some additional processing when the moon is the only subject can sometimes make for a more interesting image (obv from my post). Either way, pretty cool that you could take that hand held.

You are right. A full moon is pretty boring because of the lack of shadows. And if you like detail, there is hugely more in my overcontrasted version.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Don Haines said:
From last night.....

It was -24C outside, so I went out with a 7D2, 2X teleconverter, and a 150-600 lens on a heavy tripod. Surprisingly, the AF worked in live-view!

As it was chilly, I was quick.... this image is 22 frames stacked together.

Why is there a halo around the rim? How did you stack? I am also curious as to why you used a 2xTC on a f/6.3 lens. The DLA of the 7DII is f/6.6 and so f/12.6 will reveal hardly any extra detail and the 2xTC hits the IQ.

Upvote 0
Gaf said:
AlanF said:
Here is a quicky, hand held 5DSR 400mm II + 2xTC. Top is natural, bottom is overcontrasted and microcontrasted by racking up DxO Photolab, ugh.

I really like the bottom version. I think some additional processing when the moon is the only subject can sometimes make for a more interesting image (obv from my post). Either way, pretty cool that you could take that hand held.

I couldn't agree more; the bottom shot is quite interesting.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
AlanF said:
Don Haines said:
From last night.....

It was -24C outside, so I went out with a 7D2, 2X teleconverter, and a 150-600 lens on a heavy tripod. Surprisingly, the AF worked in live-view!

As it was chilly, I was quick.... this image is 22 frames stacked together.

Why is there a halo around the rim? How did you stack? I am also curious as to why you used a 2xTC on a f/6.3 lens. The DLA of the 7DII is f/6.6 and so f/12.6 will reveal hardly any extra detail and the 2xTC hits the IQ.

The short answer is, that I was just goofin around :)

I wanted to see what would happen if I put the teleconverter in line, and ran the images through Registax... and to see if the wavelet sharpening could recover any of the lost detail through "mushy" optics....

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Thanks so much for sharing all your photos :) It was such a cool event for me to see, definitely worth skipping a night of sleep, and It's awesome to see this from other people's perspectives.

@Don - thanks for the tip on RegiStax! Something else to check out and play with :) :) :)

When you use a 600mm + 2x TC, does the moon still fit on a 7D from where you live? Where I am, if it's a supermoon, with a 1.4x TC on a crop, I can barely get the moon in the frame -- I have to use a geared head to compose it, and the moon's movement will quickly take it out of frame.

This time around, I went with my 6DII and used the 150-600 with no TC at all (definitely, there, it could have used a TC).

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
Many great shots here particularly those of the blood moon.
I did pop outside and grab a couple of shots, it was cold and late and I was just out of a bout of “man flu” and didn’t want to refresh that so it was a quick effort, 100-400 L II with 2x III on a 7DII hand held arms length live view focus whilst shivering. I should have determined to spend longer get a tripod and wrapped up warmer! ::) :)
No blood moon here, but still a fairly extraordinary event so I’m glad I had a look at it, here is my not great attempt to document the event.

SE0A7890_DxO by Graham Stretch, on Flickr

Cheers, Graham.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0