Switzerland-Confused about gear choice

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
We will be visiting Switzerland for 9 days starting April 1st. This is a once in a lifetime trip and we are looking forward to take some good pictures ( only reason to visit actually)

I need help with gear selection .

I am mainly interested in a) Landscape b) Environmental portraits c) Old castles and buildings d) sunrise and sunset

I may have access to the following gears :

Bodies: Canon 1DxMKII/1Dx/5DIV/5DsR/7DMKII
Lenses: Canon : 11-24/ 16-35/24-70/70-200/100-400 /200-400/24/35/85/200
Zeiss Otus: 28/55/85. Also 35/135

I want to take not more than 5 lenses and 2-3 bodies, preferably 2

Please give me your choices and advice- those will be invaluable to me.

Thanks a lot in advance

Jul 21, 2010
Grüezi!

I'd take the two 5-series bodies (the 5DIV as a backup, although I use the M2 for that), the 11-24, 24-70, and if you'll be in the Alps, the 100-400. Personally, I've used my TS-E 17 a lot on my trips to Switzerland.

Advice would probably depend on where and when you're going, specifically.

Might be some inspiration here: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=26435.0

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Your preferences do not mention action /wildlife so I would take the 5DIV and 5DSR.
The 5DSR offers the same pixel resolution as the 7DII but has the wide angle options of the full frame. Meanwhile the 5DIV offers the ISO advantage.

I travelled 2 years in Asia (including Himalayas) and Australasia with a lens no wider than 28mm and have no regrets at all and for that reason am sceptical of people's comments that you have to have ultrawides for landscape. But given you have said up to 5 lenses, I would choose 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 24 (compact scenery/architecture lens) and 85 (portraits)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mikehit said:
I travelled 2 years in Asia (including Himalayas) and Australasia with a lens no wider than 28mm and have no regrets at all and for that reason am sceptical of people's comments that you have to have ultrawides for landscape.

It's not the landscapes, it's the, "...c) Old castles and buildings," that the OP mentions. Below are two shots of the Basel Münster, in both cases the shot was taken from as far back in the plaza as I could stand – my back was literally against the wall of the building across the plaza. The first was during a daytime walkaround with the ultraportable EOS M and M18-55 @ 18mm (29mm FF equivalent FoV). The second was with the 1D X and TS-E 17mm at the end of the day before blue hour, so I 'cheated' with a 10-stop ND in front of the lens, for a ~3 minute exposure (which offered the benefit of blurring out the pedestrians and cyclists that passed through the shot).

In Switzerland and throughout Europe there are many beautiful buildings with very little space around them...so for architecture shooting, I consider an ultrawide extremely useful, particularly the TS-E 17 so the keystoning (very evident in the first shot) can be corrected.

Attachments

• Basel Münster 29mm FFeq.jpg
    Basel Münster 29mm FFeq.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 639
  • Basel Münster 17mm.jpg
    Basel Münster 17mm.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 638
Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
Dholai said:
We will be visiting Switzerland for 9 days starting April 1st. This is a once in a lifetime trip and we are looking forward to take some good pictures ( only reason to visit actually)

I need help with gear selection .

I am mainly interested in a) Landscape b) Environmental portraits c) Old castles and buildings d) sunrise and sunset

I may have access to the following gears :

Bodies: Canon 1DxMKII/1Dx/5DIV/5DsR/7DMKII
Lenses: Canon : 11-24/ 16-35/24-70/70-200/100-400 /200-400/24/35/85/200
Zeiss Otus: 28/55/85. Also 35/135

I want to take not more than 5 lenses and 2-3 bodies, preferably 2

Please give me your choices and advice- those will be invaluable to me.

Thanks a lot in advance

Sounds like fun!!
Since, you're mainly going to take photos, I would go for the 5DsR or 5D4. Do you need two bodies?? I don't see the need for the 1Dx or 7D2 at all, unless you're shooting fast moving subjects. I'd take the 11-24mm, 50mm, 24-70mm, and 17 TS-E (as neuro mentioned for architecture). Maybe take the 16-35mm if you don't have appropriate filter adapters and the bunch for the 11-24mm. I go between 35mm and 50mm for environmental portraits.. it really depends how you shoot I think. Add some filters (polarizer, ND), tripod, bunch of batteries, and a comfy bag as well. I wouldn't take more... the weight and I think I'd like to enjoy the trip too a little more than taking photos.

But you said "we". I'm gonna assume your partner is also a photographer? Then you have no problem with taking gear! Maybe maybe add the 70-200? ;D Tag your gear with insurance and take multiple memory cards and harddrives.
Anyways, you make me jealous. haha Have fun and get those once in a lifetime shots~

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2015
Old buildings in old cities are very crammed in narrow alleys, so 21 is about as long as I would go, and echo neurons TS-E17, or a Zeiss 15. Old buildings in the mountains are often a bit more free-standing, so you have a bit more room, so 28 or even 55 will be sufficiently wide. Choice of lens will be more about look than feasibility.
For landscapes, there is nothing special in Switzerland than to anywhere else in terms of lens choices. Whatever you normally use will also do in CH.
Same for environmental portraits. I generally like the Zeiss 21 for that, though many will consider that rather wide.
In April you should get some clouds in the sky for added interest.

Where else have you shot? That could help with advice.

Re bodies, 5DsR and maybe 5D4. Tripod (and cable release) for sure.

Upvote 0

Dholai

CR Pro
Feb 5, 2014
Thank everybody.
These are valuable inputs.
Neuro:
Thank a lot for suggesting the 17 mm T/S- I actually have one. Will definitely take it. BTW- that evening shot of the building was excellent and the pictures on that link-waw! I cant even express myself! I wish I can do a fraction of it!
5DIV and 5DsR is it then. Final!
Lion Rock:
99% of my shots are done on a Tripod! I do not have steady hands (or strong muscles). Will do.
Mikehit:
Yes, I will take most of those but as Neuro said- will include 17mmT/S.
Don:
I am not an expert in shooting panos-even though I know the tricks. Will try to get it in one shot. I think 11-24 should be great if I take it.
The problem with 11-24 is that the filter system is sooo big and cumbersome! takes a lot of space.
Chellomaster:
I know this is bad but I only enjoy it better from behind the OVF ! Not interested much in food. No interest in clubs/fun places! but culture - surely!
"We" means my wife, 21 yrs old daughter and 17 yrs old son. They are used to be abused by me by now and so, they just tug along my line! Children whine but carry my stuff! Have to bribe them sometimes! We all enjoy photography and my wife loves to be in front of the camera!
Zeidora:
Thanks. I see we all basically are on the same page! and yes, will take cable release.

Wish me luck friends and once again, thank you all for these wonderful replies!

Dholai

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
My wife and I completed a 450 km walk through the Swiss Alps (from Chur in the east to Lake Geneva in the west) last August. As this involved 32,000m altitude gain, I left my 6D and FF lenses in Zurich and hiked with an M3 and the 11-22mm and 55-200mm zooms. I was very impressed with the quality delivered by the little camera.
I plan to write up our experiences of the hike......

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
We all have our own take on this, and mine is:

Bodies: 5DIV Only. Do not need 2 bodies.
Lenses: 11-24/24-70/70-200/85 f1.2

I have travelled this area lots and would not go with any other lenses or bodies. Would take a tripod along.

Have a great trip. Don't miss out on the restaurants, there is great food there.

I used to carry a lot of gear. Now I have realised I make better pictures, am less stressed and have much better time with lesser gear.

Upvote 0