Tamron 24-70 VC 2.8 auto focus jump problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar experience to the Tammy 70-300 VC USD however my work around (which I do with all my 'IS' lenses) is power up the servo by tapping [af on] to send power to the lens. Then by the time its at your eye there is no power up lag and IS is up and running :) The 70-300 did jump when the VC kicked in, was actually better then the EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS in terms of IS and build imo.

If it's a small jump - dont worry that's how the tammys work.

Upvote 0
Imagination_landB said:
Right after the focus as stopped, the image makes a little jump t the right. I have a 60d, so no micro adjust...

Everything I've read about this lens and the samples I've tried didn't show this behavior, I think it's a warranty or return case. In fact, on the samples I tried the vc lock was barely noticeable. The vc might a little time to swing in if you run&gun, but afaik there definitely shouldn't be a statistically significant jump to just one direction. Even if you probably don't want to hear this: What you're experiencing is the larger product variance (some call it qc issues) of Tamron and other 3rd party manufacturers.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
That was one of the known complaints with Tamron's VC. I think it was the 17-50 lens of theirs where it was the worst; to the point that it would make most of your images soft because the VC would take too long to kick in. My 70-300 had the issue a little bit, but I never expected to instantly snap pictures if my camera had been at my side for a while anyway.

I'd definitely return it and get another copy; it might be less of an issue then

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.