Tamron launches the finest lens in its history with the new fixed focal lens, the SP 35mm F/1.4 Di USD (Model F045), for full-frame DSLR cameras.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Press Release:
Tamron’s SP (Superior Performance) lens series was born in 1979, based on the concept of delivering lenses for taking the perfect picture for those who love photography. This year marks the 40th anniversary of the series. In celebration, Tamron has developed the 35mm F/1.4 (Model F045), the distillation of Tamron’s accumulated lens-making expertise and craftsmanship. This orthodox fixed focal lens, which some consider the most desirable of all interchangeable lenses, is the embodiment of all the optical technology and manufacturing know-how Tamron has developed to date.

The 35mm F1.4’s (Model F045) unprecedented high-resolution image quality and beautiful, appealing background bokeh let photographers capture any scene down to the finest details. The external lens barrel was developed through a tireless pursuit of operability and durability, focusing constantly on the needs of photographers. This lens is equipped with a large F/1.4 aperture and high-speed...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I've owned the Tamron 35mm, 45mm, 85mm and the 70-200 2.8 G2.

I'm hoping that the 35mm 1.4 is built similar to the 85mm and 70-200 2.8 G2: sharp, fast, minimal CA. No AF issues with the prime but the zoom really needed AFMA.

I found the Tamron 35mm 1.8 VC interesting with close MFD and higher than average magnification ratio but it was slow compared to the canon 35mm f2 IS.

The Tamron 45mm 1.8 VC was a great focal length but very slow to focus.

The Tamron 35mm and 45mm are definitely older so I expect that Tamron will put the new tech into this prime.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This looks very promising and considering Tamron's recent track record I am sure it will be an outstanding lens. However, the major disappointment for me is that apparently it does NOT have vibration compensation. I find this surprising as that would have been a major selling point over the Canon equivalent. The other advantage is of course price; the Tamron is less expensive. But for those who could afford either, it seems to me that VC would have won over potential Canon buyers who now have no reason to buy this over the Canon version. (It is also a reason for some buyers to stick with Tamron's existing f/1.8 version that does have VC).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
This looks very promising and considering Tamron's recent track record I am sure it will be an outstanding lens. However, the major disappointment for me is that apparently it does NOT have vibration compensation. I find this surprising as that would have been a major selling point over the Canon equivalent. The other advantage is of course price; the Tamron is less expensive. But for those who could afford either, it seems to me that VC would have won over potential Canon buyers who now have no reason to buy this over the Canon version. (It is also a reason for some buyers to stick with Tamron's existing f/1.8 version that does have VC).

True VC would be nice but I'm guessing the compromise would be the added weight with all that glass. I don't think any 35mm 1.4 lens has image stabilization. The only 1.4 lens that has IS (from my current brain) is the 85mm 1.4 L IS. It already looks like the Tamron 1.4 is heavier than the canon 35mm mark ii.

Looks like I'll keep my canon 35mm f2 IS since this Tamron doesn't have VC.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The ~ 1K 35mm market is getting quite crowded. Looks like this sits nicely between the Sigma 35mm 1.4 and Bigma 40mm 1.4 Art lenses.

Curious if that will also be true for the image quality.
Yeah, I’m curious why they’re choosing to compete for this segment. Like MrFotoFool said above, why not give it IS and release it at $1200-1400, where its only competitor (1.4 + weather sealing) is Canon, whose lens lacks stabilization?

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
This lens has been anticipated for some time now and touted as Tamron's finest optics yet. I think the lack of stabilization falls into the camp of VC/IS is for tele primarily and they want to showcase the other optical aspects and keep it from being too large. The 85 is a great lens but it is very heavy. I am very satisfies by the images I can get with it and from what I hear and read, the 35 will be far better. I expect a 35 1.4L ll rival with newer coatings and Canon level AF in a 3rd party lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Yeah, I’m curious why they’re choosing to compete for this segment. Like MrFotoFool said above, why not give it IS and release it at $1200-1400, where its only competitor (1.4 + weather sealing) is Canon, whose lens lacks stabilization?
Not too many f1.4 lenses with stabilization out there, especially from 3rd party manufacturers. At f1.4 a tripod might more sense anyway.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Not too many f1.4 lenses with stabilization out there, especially from 3rd party manufacturers. At f1.4 a tripod might more sense anyway.
I have the Canon 35mm f/1.4L II. I'm a shaky guy (getting older), but have been very happy with the images without the IS that I get hand held even at f/1.4. Of course, IS would be great. I loved it (VC) when I had the Tamron 15-30. However it seems, at least in my case, that the shorter focal lengths don't need it so much. At longer focal lengths, like my 135 f/2L... I would really want IS in the next iteration if I ever replace it. I just can't get used to a tripod for what I do.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Why has this lens from Tamron been anticipated? Has there really been that much demand for a Tamron lens?
It seems Tamron has been putting out some really good stuff the last few years. So probably so. Their price points for the quality they offer is very attractive to some.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Seeing all these "panzer-lenses" getting heavier and heavier, I enjoy my excellent:love: tiny little Leica Summilux 1,4/35 Asph. more and more (320 grams). Discrete street-photography is almost impossible with these bricks, no matter how good they may be....
Yes, I know, no AF, no auto-diaphragm, but beautiful colors, highest contrast and extreme sharpness matter more to me!
But I also love:love: my EF 100/400 IS II !

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Seeing all these "panzer-lenses" getting heavier and heavier, I enjoy my excellent:love: tiny little Leica Summilux 1,4/35 Asph. more and more (320 grams). Discrete street-photography is almost impossible with these bricks, no matter how good they may be...
Everything has its drawbacks, focusing quickly and accurately is quite difficult with the Lux and speed also matters in street photography.
To be fair, even the 35/2 Summicron-SL is quite big, especially for an f/2 lens for mirrorless, but not as big as these.

The Nikon Z and RF Canon 35/1.8 are not much bigger either, although they just don't have the same image quality, they are not interested in making "flagship" lenses with a slower aperture, f/1.4 (or better) will remain the distinguishing attribute.

Upvote 0
Even though I wish it had vibration compensation, I still may get this lens. My standard zoom and wide angle zoom are both f4 and it would be nice to have a larger aperture wide angle lens. Given Tamron's recent track record and their claims of this being their best lens yet, it could be the one.

Upvote 0