Tamron Teases a New Lens Ahead of CP+

GammyKnee said:
Sporgon said:
+1 to this, 100 mm is such a versatile focal length, but given that Tamron have introduced the 85/1.8 I'd imagine that they wouldn't begin their new prime series by having two such similar focal lengths - unfortunately. Incidentally I've joined you as a Tamron 45 VC owner. Pleased ( and relieved) at the accuracy of the AF. Temps me to the 85. I'd definitely be on a 100/2 VC

Cool - glad you've had a good experience with the 45 - I'd hate to be without mine. I kind of hoped Tamron might do something along the same lines for the 85 as they did with the 35 and 45. I mean 100mm is just 15mm past the 85, and the Canon 85 1.8 and 100 f/2 are close siblings.

My first thought was a 2.8 100 Macro but this is not very special. But 2.0 100 with IS would be a novelty. What about a 2.0 100 image stabilized macro? What a versatile lens: low light, portrait, tight landscape, tight architecture, and the whole macro world ... This would explain why there is some longer tube which extends if focused near MFD.
I do not think that this is a zoom lens after trying to get more detail in gimp: There is only one ring visible and a band which might hold some window for displaying the distance and reproduction ration and the controls for AF + IS or better VC.

Just my 2ct.

Upvote 0
It is hard to tell from the lighting, but if you look at the outer edges there is a line that I believe indicates nearly the entire top half of the lens is a large zoom ring. The smaller and more easily visible ring directly above the Tamron name is I assume the manual focus ring.

Considering it is so much longer than it is wide (and likely will zoom out even longer still) it cannot be a large aperture lens. It looks to me like some kind of consumer lens, but it seems odd they would tease a non-pro lens in this fashion.

Upvote 0
I have it on semi-good authority (someone who has been both right and wrong in the past) that it's a APS-C zoom, and on dubious authority (someone who was right a couple of times but mostly been wrong) that it's a mirrorless-specific zoom.

If I were to put money on it, I'd bet on APS-C general-purpose zoom. That's something they have a few of in the old style of lens, but not in the modern line. It's also something Sigma has had fair success with, as well as Fuji. Going on what I've been told (again, somewhat sketchy sources) and what their line-up currently looks like and feels like it's missing, that's what feels right for Tamron.

Then again, nobody would have guessed they'd go with 45mm or that Sigma would make a lens like the 24-35 f/2, so, hey. These two companies are capable of pulling something completely random out of nowhere.

Sporgon said:
but given that Tamron have introduced the 85/1.8 I'd imagine that they wouldn't begin their new prime series by having two such similar focal lengths - unfortunately.
Reminder that Canon did exactly this, with the 100mm as the spearhead of the then-cutting-edge EF lens trio, and the 85mm version coming along just under a year later. Then they also piled on a macro version, too, which would also fit Tamron's line. (85 VC, 90 VC macro, so add a 100 VC and they're duplicated Canon.)

All that said, that was the early 90s and these days 100mm isn't anywhere near as popular as it was then. While there's a small market for it, it probably wouldn't be worth Tamron investing R&D into a 100mm prime now unless they were able to very quickly and lazily re-use parts from the 85. (The same way Canon made the 85 out of the 100.)

I'd love a Tamron 100mm f/2 VC 'cause god knows the existing Canon one could do with stabilisation, weather sealing, and a little more consistent rendering across the frame, but I doubt we'll see that from Tamron until they have filled every other niche first. I expect we'd see a Tamron 28mm before we see a Tamron 100mm.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
aceflibble said:
I have it on semi-good authority (someone who has been both right and wrong in the past) that it's a APS-C zoom, and on dubious authority (someone who was right a couple of times but mostly been wrong) that it's a mirrorless-specific zoom.

As I mentioned in a previous comment in this thread, from the lens profile it's likely that this is an APS-C mirrorless zoom. Very similar in shape to the 18-200mm Di III but hopefully something a bit more exciting.

Upvote 0
Teaser ads

I used to work in ad agencies. Here are some long-known truths about teaser ads:

1) Most teaser campaigns are wastes of money because they don't get the "buzz" multiplier effect that they are designed to create.
2) Most teaser campaigns that do succeed in creating some interest wind up failing because the client company fails to support the later media efforts required to associate the teased concept with the revealed product/movie/etc.
3) Both types of failures are made explicitly clear to clients beforehand, yet they insist their case is different.
4) Both types of failures - after the fact - are blamed on the ad agency, leaving marketing staff in place to make other (and the same) mistakes over and over again.
5) The types of things that succeed are typically products that are quirky, different, new and address a category previously not addressed. Products that are Brand X's version of a Brand Y product inevitably fail to gain much interest based on merely a price or feature difference.
6) Camera companies have shown over and over again that they are ignorant of #5.
7) An exception to the rules above can be had if you pretend to have a teaser ad and merely release it to social media, thereby winning free media, although this often has a small impact. At least it's typically net positive.
8) Following precedent and the odds, Tamron will soon announce a mirrorless consumer zoom that pretends to be a new level of quality. MTF tests will show that it is decent for consumer zooms, but inferior to other classes. The teaser campaign will be orphaned without ad spend for the actual lens, but for one or two print ads on the inner pages of the two photography magazines most apt to be improperly influenced by advertisers. The world will then move on.
9) Apparently, I should have left the ad racket sooner than I did.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
TeT said:
Don Haines said:

Given the pictured size to mount ratios it would have to be a Reflex lens, now that would be an unexpected shocker...

It’s just a photoshopped image and probably is not of the lens in question..... unless Tamron is coming out with a lens with no switches

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Don Haines said:
TeT said:
Don Haines said:

Given the pictured size to mount ratios it would have to be a Reflex lens, now that would be an unexpected shocker...

It’s just a photoshopped image and probably is not of the lens in question..... unless Tamron is coming out with a lens with no switches

If the pictured lens is a 600/5.6, I will be just fine with no switches. ;D

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
maybe a Tamron 24-105/4.0 VC ... to counter Sigma ... with excellent IQ at half the price of stupid Canon's stupidly underperforming 24-105 L II ? :p

Bought a white box 24-105 f/4L II for 720 last year for video purposes. How much profit can Tamron make selling a good 24-105 lens for 360? It would definitely sell like hotcakes, but probably not good for the company overall.

Upvote 0
Apparently it's the Tamron 70-210mm f/4 Di VC USD:

http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/02/70-210mm-f4-di-vc-usd.html

28f53173a16a633803f40076dad02721db13d6b9131163eb29191cefcadd6d31.jpg

Upvote 0