Tamron to Announce 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

I'm somewhat impressed that they've managed to make all of these improvements (including a metal barrel) and only added 60g of weight. That is undercutting the Sport (Sigma) by a lot. The Sport is about two pounds (800g) heavier still. I liked the Sport in a lot of ways, but its design (a REALLY heavy front end/element) meant that you had to support a lot of weight far from the body and it wasn't really a comfortable lens to use.

If Tamron realizes the potential spelled out in this press release I think they may have the edge here; particularly if they have caught/leapfrogged the Sigma performance at 600mm.

The Tap In Console is the real deal, too. Because Tamron lenses aren't as erratically focusing as Sigmas, I've been able to nail down the two Tamron primes I have (45/85VC) through the Tap In to accuracy levels that I've rarely seen in any wide aperture primes. If you could achieve the same in this lens it would be a force to be reckoned with.

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
The Tap In Console is the real deal, too. Because Tamron lenses aren't as erratically focusing as Sigmas, I've been able to nail down the two Tamron primes I have (45/85VC) through the Tap In to accuracy levels that I've rarely seen in any wide aperture primes. If you could achieve the same in this lens it would be a force to be reckoned with.

Just out of curiosity: how long did it take to get there/how cumbersome is it?

Upvote 0
LordofTackle said:

I break down the process in detail here in this video: http://bit.ly/2bv8tH0

I used it in conjunction with Reikan FoCal to speed up the process. I took a few hours with the first lens, about an hour with a second one.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
LordofTackle said:

I used it in conjunction with Reikan FoCal to speed up the process. I took a few hours with the first lens, about an hour with a second one.

With your experience in reviewing cameras and lenses, is Tamron leading the way here with autofocus calibration for DSLRs?

Is Tamron's TAP-IN focus calibration system something that you could see being a welcome addition to newer Canon lenses or are Canon lenses not as likely to benefit from this type of feature?

My experience has been that often Canon's better lenses tend to be more accurate in general than equivalent third party lenses, so the argument could be made that they need this less.

That being said, I am getting better focus accuracy right now with the Tamron 45/85mm lenses than I have gotten with any Canon 50mm or 85mm equivalents, so there is something to be said about this process. I would personally welcome a Canon equivalent dock/console for the ability to more fully tweak autofocus and even for the customizing ability. Third party lenses may NEED it more, but many Canon lenses could certainly benefit from it.

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
I break down the process in detail here in this video: http://bit.ly/2bv8tH0 ....

How nice to find you here! :)

You are still missing the third video of the series SIGMA vs TAMRON 150-600. For me it's the most important. The one where you promised to talk about the IQ and "actual sharpness".

Upvote 0
LordofTackle said:

Thanks for the link :)

Upvote 0
LordofTackle said:
LordofTackle said:

My pleasure.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
LordofTackle said:
LordofTackle said:

My pleasure.
I look forward to trying this with the V2 150-600....hmmmmm.... an hour for each focal length.... 8 focal lengths.... that will be an "interesting: way to spend the day......

Upvote 0
I'm somewhat impressed that they've managed to make all of these improvements (including a metal barrel) and only added 60g of weight. That is undercutting the Sport (Sigma) by a lot. The Sport is about two pounds (800g) heavier still. I liked the Sport in a lot of ways, but its design (a REALLY heavy front end/element) meant that you had to support a lot of weight far from the body and it wasn't really a comfortable lens to use.

If Tamron realizes the potential spelled out in this press release I think they may have the edge here; particularly if they have caught/leapfrogged the Sigma performance at 600mm.

If the Tamron 150-600mm focuses accurately and consistently as the Tamron's 85mm f1.8 I'm getting one! I've been nothing but super pleased with the 85mm shooting weddings. Sharp wide open and super-sharp stopped down at 2.8. I haven't had the need for Tamron's Tap adapter. Many thanks to you Dustin for recommending it!

Upvote 0
JohnUSA said:

If the Tamron 150-600mm focuses accurately and consistently as the Tamron's 85mm f1.8 I'm getting one! I've been nothing but super pleased with the 85mm shooting weddings. Sharp wide open and super-sharp stopped down at 2.8. I haven't had the need for Tamron's Tap adapter. Many thanks to you Dustin for recommending it!

That's great to hear. To be honest I haven't heard a lot of complaints about focus accuracy even with the V1 of the 150-600 Tamron. Focus speed could be a little faster on the long end, but it looks like that has been addressed. But Tamron has definitely made even further strides in their USD tech, and that, coupled with the Tap In compatability, adds up to a winner, I suspect.

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
Diko said:
I break down the process in detail here in this video: http://bit.ly/2bv8tH0 ....

You are still missing the third video of the series SIGMA vs TAMRON 150-600. For me it's the most important. The one where you promised to talk about the IQ and "actual sharpness".
I guess you skipped it.

The other two were great BTW. Great work! :) Thank you for making them.

Upvote 0
Diko said:

I cover the sharpness aspects in the final review video of the Sigma 150-600 C

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Stewart K said:
there any updates on this one yet?
I think they started shipping already, so just wondering when we'll see any reviews!!

I've been promised one in about two weeks. They are just arriving to the distributors, but not to retail.
Likewise....

I intend to do a comparison of it to the old version, both pre Tap-in and post Tap-in... And the big lab at work is going to be empty in about 2 weeks so I can stay late and do an AFMA under near perfect conditions (I will resist the urge to turn on the vacuum pump to remove atmospheric variation :) )

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Stewart K said:
I think they started shipping already, so just wondering when we'll see any reviews!!

I've been promised one in about two weeks. They are just arriving to the distributors, but not to retail.
Likewise....

I intend to do a comparison of it to the old version, both pre Tap-in and post Tap-in... And the big lab at work is going to be empty in about 2 weeks so I can stay late and do an AFMA under near perfect conditions (I will resist the urge to turn on the vacuum pump to remove atmospheric variation :) )

LOL - that might be taking it too far :)

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Stewart K said:

Likewise....

Hehe! I would assume lenses are designed with the refractive index of air in mind (between the different elements specifically) , so actually the lenses *could* perform *less* well in a vacuum. Now then, that might be worthy test... XD

Upvote 0