The Canon Cinema EOS C70 is in the wild [CR2]

Great 4K 24/30
RF Mount
$2,599 or less

If all those boxes are checked then I’m in.

Bonus* less than 3lbs would be nice
I would only like to add 3 specs I would really like which aren't too complicated:
* Simple mobile power supply option: USB-C powered or similar (LEMO 5 ... 24 V input or so)
* time lapse with 0.25 ... 23 fps AND 170° (dark frame)...340° shutter angle for all fps settings!
* 4 ch. Linear PCM via two 3.5 jacks for e.g. mono center with safety channel (Videomic NTG) + some stereo setup for ambient.

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
This is sounds to me a lot like an R6 + cooling, minus weatherproofing. Still questioning s35... I think it will be full frame. Not sure ND would fit in a chubby DSLR sized body, but maybe canon has electronic nd in the works.
Would explain the r-series overheating.. canon has resisted hybrids, and a camera that is video-centric alongside a camera that is stills-centric is more their brand.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
I have been told that at least one of the new RF mount Cinema EOS cameras are out in the wild around the globe.

I try not to be a nitpicker or a prescriptivist, but this grates. The subject is “one,” so the verb must be singular: “...one of the new...is out in the wild... Common error, mistaking cameras for the subject, when it is the object of the prepositional clause of the new RF mount Cinema EOS cameras. No big thing, not the end of the world. To get these things right, omit the clause and see if you would say one are out in the wild or one is out in the wild. And BTW, RF-mount is a compound adjective in this usage, and demands a hyphen. As you were!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
I'm very interested in a RF mount dedicated video camera, as long as it out-performs my EOS R attached to a Ninja V. It's gotta have SMPTE timecode.

I got together with a DP friend of mine last week and we did some tests comparing my EOS R with the RF 28-70mm f2 to the EOS R with CN-E 50mm T1.3 Cine Lens and the CN-E 35mm T1.5 Cine Lens. The picture quality of the RF 28-70mm is comparable as long as you don't zoom or rack focus.

So, my big question remains -- will Canon announce RF mount Cine lenses soon?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
This is sounds to me a lot like an R6 + cooling, minus weatherproofing. Still questioning s35... I think it will be full frame. Not sure ND would fit in a chubby DSLR sized body, but maybe canon has electronic nd in the works.
Would explain the r-series overheating.. canon has resisted hybrids, and a camera that is video-centric alongside a camera that is stills-centric is more their brand.
Already been stated the sensor is the C-300-2 sensor. Super 35. Cinema cams still primarily live in that world from Canon to Arri. And I’d way prefer that DGISO C300-2 sensor which this is on the $6200 model. 4K120. C-Log 1, 2, 3. Built in ND. Proper Mic Preamps... much much much more than a R6 with a fan. Im All in.
The lower model for $3299 is the C200 sensor.

Upvote 0
I have been told that at least one of the new RF mount Cinema EOS cameras are out in the wild around the globe.

I try not to be a nitpicker or a prescriptivist, but this grates. The subject is “one,” so the verb must be singular: “...one of the new...is out in the wild... Common error, mistaking cameras for the subject, when it is the object of the prepositional clause of the new RF mount Cinema EOS cameras. No big thing, not the end of the world. To get these things right, omit the clause and see if you would say one are out in the wild or one is out in the wild. And BTW, RF-mount is a compound adjective in this usage, and demands a hyphen. As you were!

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Already been stated the sensor is the C-300-2 sensor. Super 35. Cinema cams still primarily live in that world from Canon to Arri. And I’d way prefer that DGISO C300-2 sensor which this is on the $6200 model. 4K120. C-Log 1, 2, 3. Built in ND. Proper Mic Preamps... much much much more than a R6 with a fan. Im All in.
The lower model for $3299 is the C200 sensor.
I'm not sure where it's been "stated the sensor is the c-300-2" other than a previous rumors which may or may not be this camera. As for the Lower priced $3299 model being the C200 sensor...well that would be a deal...as the C200 and C300II share the same sensor. It will be interesting to see where Canon goes with any of these cameras. Super35 is dictated not by the mount but by the available lenses. Canon makes a range of professional s35 zooms in EF mount which explains s35 on the majority of cineEOS cameras, but I don't see an RF camera appealing to that same customer (why adapt a $30k zoom to RF, when EF mount C200, C300II, III already exist. To me, the purpose of an RF mount video camera is to use RF glass, which is full frame, and consists of only one lens that is wide enough to go "wide" on S35. I may be totally wrong on this...but I think we'll see something entry level..4k, .using the R6 sensor , with 13 stops DR, and limited codecs...essentially a FF c100.

Upvote 0
Yeah this is higher than any A7 model as far as filmmaking goes.
This is a cine EOS ... it's purpose-built for video. The A7 is not, as they're primarily still cameras, with video tacked-on. I consider the lack of IBIS to be a feature, not a bug, on a camera such as this. Just get a proper tripod, a nice dolly, a good stabilizer (Glidecam, Steadicam, Flycam, etc.). Those are all serious stabilizers, not that consumer-grade IBIS junk.

Upvote 0