The Canon EF 50mm f/1.0L

Maximilian said:
Fastest ever lens was the Zeiss Super-Q-Gigantar 40mm f/0.33:
http://petapixel.com/2013/08/06/carl-zeiss-super-q-gigantar-40mm-f0-33-the-fastest-lens-ever-made/

But that was just a marketing gag.

So regularely Zeiss made sone with f/0.7, also mentioned in the article above.
Enjoy reading. ;)

From the article: "...and photographers became fixated on the speed of lenses on paper rather than their performance in real world situations."
Amazing how different photographers were back then... :)

Upvote 0
The 50mm f/1.0 L is actually surprisingly sharp. I've used it a few times, including for this press shot of Ruby Rose Fox in this article that ran last weekend in the Boston Globe. Another shot with the same lens ran in print (two shots used in the print version of the story).

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2015/01/10/listen-ones-watch/WDpp6tPpSmiDf0sKiDeXSN/story.html

RubyRoseFoxPressBW1[1].jpg

Note the insanely shallow depth of field! It's really too shallow, in my opinion, but I had the lens on hand since I'd rented it for a shoot the week before and we decided to do an impromptu photo shoot with it.

Upvote 0
Kos said:
danski0224 said:
zlatko said:
It should be a fine useable lens as long as the AF motor lasts. Check out how Jessica Claire used her 50mm 1.0:
http://www.jessicaclaire.net/blog/7345/Wedding-with-DJ-Brittany-and-Rod

One of the images indicates 1/12000...

I wonder what she is using. Film camera or a 1D. Typo?
I wonder too. It is more amazing 1D has no 50ISO.

The shutter speed is likely a typo. She likely used the 5D or 5DII, both of which have ISO50. Beautiful photos.

Upvote 0
gsealy said:
mskrystalmeth said:
To each their own. No Critical Response from me. BUT... :) For Four Grand my lens will read Zeiss. 55mm 1.4. Ok...back to normal.

Personally I have been thinking a lot about the 85mm OTUS model. But I know what you mean. Those two lens have basically ruined me now.

OTUS - lol, that lens has so fricking much vignetting you might as well shoot it through perforated black construction paper. I couldn't beleive how bad it is. Sort of defeats the point of a 'fast' lens when only the center gets any of the light. Meh...

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
OTUS - lol, that lens has so fricking much vignetting you might as well shoot it through perforated black construction paper. I couldn't beleive how bad it is. Sort of defeats the point of a 'fast' lens when only the center gets any of the light. Meh...

Vignetting is nothing to be concerned about nowadays. At least 2-3 stops should be correctable in post. If you shoot film it's correct, but nevertheless, I like vignetting for portraits. And the 85mm OTUS *is* for portraits ;)

Upvote 0
Hi all!

I'm new here and from Belgium.

This 50mm puts Canon on the map!

I own this optical beauty and only can say if this lens is SOFT, the OPTICAL CENTERING is off!

Optical alignment can be checked wit a collimator. The chromatic abberation must be evenly purple or green.

This lens is incredibly sharp, ONLY when the optical alignment is right.

This alignment can be done by just unscrew the rear lens mount (contains the rear lens element).
Now you have acces to the 3 screws that holds elements G9 & 10. If these 2 elements are disturbed the lens is soft! Piece of cake to correct if you have some optical knowledge! Centering and testing takes only about an hour of work.

The problem about this... CPS Netherlands don't want align this lens because it's out of production and rare. Thumbs down CPS! :'( It's a real shame!

I did the adjustment by myself with great succes!

Here some examples:

12549327185_91398c40bc_c.jpg

9368790193_a302574834_c.jpg

9035012757_d3a433f817_c.jpg

Or my Flickr stream for newer f/1.0's coming... ;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28259490@N00/

Regards

Bob

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
I know she's pregnant... but hot damn.

spy-glass said:
Hi all!

I own this optical beauty and only can say if this lens is SOFT, the OPTICAL CENTERING is off!

Optical alignment can be checked wit a collimator. The chromatic abberation must be evenly purple or green.

This alignment can be done by just unscrew the rear lens mount (contains the rear lens element).
Now you have acces to the 3 screws that holds elements G9 & 10. If these 2 elements are disturbed the lens is soft! Piece of cake to correct if you have some optical knowledge! Centering and testing takes only about an hour of work.

The problem about this... CPS Netherlands don't want align this lens because it's out of production and rare. Thumbs down CPS! :'( It's a real shame!

Here some examples:

Regards

Bob

Upvote 0
spy-glass said:
Hi all!

Here some examples:

Regards

Bob

Great job Bob !
And Amazing work on your Flickr channel !

Upvote 0