The Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM Has Started Shipping in North America

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
One of the things that Sigma and Tamron have gotten "sort-of" right with their latest lenses is "the dock". With the dock, you can update firmware in the field so that if in the future they become incompatible with a new body, or flaws are found, you can update the firmware.... The lack of that ability in the past has kept many of us from investing in expensive third party glass...

I say "sort-of" got it right, because Olympus has had that ability for at least 10 years, and it is done through the camera body (no dock to buy). I must admit that I am surprised that you can not update the same way with Canon bodies and lenses....

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I believe you can update lens and flash software via an appropriate body. Bodies are easily updated via the memory cards.

P.S. Also Canon have little need for a lens dock due to the fact they maintain almost 100% lens/body compatibility across the EOS/EF range. And the lenses are micro adjusted to the body, via the body.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Apop said:
Canon 85mm 1.4L IS vs Canon 85mm 1.2L II vs Sigma 85mm Art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofR2qRcE6aw

Awesome! Well that saves me a lot of time having to do more testing. I honestly think this new Canon is just as sharp as the Sigma...and the fact it has IS makes it more likely to be sharper in more situations. The IS is truly great on this lens.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
correction requires. please find my comments in blue.

for starters I never said that Canon 85 F1.4 IS is a bad lens or a poor performer. contrary I said it is a solid performer but not as exciting as |canon 35 F1.4 II. Does it makes sense? I hope it does.
secondly, I do not bang anything here. I respond to the comment of one of the forum members that stated that Canon 85 F1.4 IS is OBVIOUSLY is a better buy than Sigma 85 Art. I replied that it is not that obviously a better buy for a number of reason.

now lets see in details.

privatebydesign said:
SecureGSM said:
PBD,

So that you are aware. Sigma Cine 85 T1.5 is Sigma 85 Art : A$1,100 street price vs Canon 85 1.4 IS : A$2,300
I mentioned that. Get it now?
Roger clearly stated this: same optics.

Here:

“... Today, I’m going to present data from Canon, Sigma, Rokinon, and Zeiss Cinema primes. Why? Because those are the same as the photo primes optically, so what happens with the Cine lenses is representative of what will happen with photo lenses. ..”

(C) Roger Cicala

Roger gets it. ;)

No the Sigma Art is not the Sigma Cine Prime, they have the same optical formula. They are not built to the same optical or mechanical standards.

The two lenses you compared are priced at $3,499 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sigma%20cine%2085&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search= and $1,599 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1354803-REG/canon_ef_85mm_f_1_4l_is.html

Those are facts.

I get it.

A.M.: yes, i know that. I am saying that this information is indicative of the Sigma 85 Art optical performance. there is mechanical ans somewhat optical difference. mainly in QA level, tolerances and uniformity. but come on. do you really expect me to be that dumb to state that cine lens is identical to consumer level product?
I am not a Dilbert , I hope you do realise. thank you.
there will be some deviation of course, but Roger talks about it in the comments. he also purchased his copy of Sigma 85 Art based on the optical test results he was getting.
Do you think Roger knows what he is talking about calling Sigma's optical performance a moderately mind boggling goodness?

"is representative of what will happen with photo lenses" NOT, the same as what will happen with photo lenses. He is saying these are not the results you will get with the same optical formula from a photo lens, but the general differences should translate. Yet you insist on comparing a Cine lens to the possible results from a photo lens, Roger doesn't.

Roger gets it.

Now to the the actual question you are burning up inside trying to hit everybody over the head with, is the new Canon 85 f1.4 L IS as sharp as the Sigma 85 Art? My answer is, who cares other than measurebators?

A.M.: Sir, you need a reality check and an urgent one. Roger's opinion is that on high resolution bodies it all started to show up now. Hi res bodies love sharp glass. sharpness is not the only factor I am looking at but lets start with obvious: Sharp glass is there for reason. Look at the Canon 35 F1.4 II sharpness levels - brilliant glass.

The question anybody interested in taking pictures with any lens should be, is it sharp enough for my intended use and output? To which the obvious answer is yes, the Canon is plenty sharp enough for all but the most foolish of pixel peeping measurebators. Then the question becomes, how much do I value first party engineering over third party, how reliable is the AF, how much do I value IS, is weight a factor, etc etc.

A.M.: exactly my point. you are seems to be getting wrong impressions. i repeat. I look at multitude of factor and ensure that major check boxes are ticked for me.

Anybody that gives sharpness a second thought in any modern lens is missing so much, sharpness is so overrated and is just a given for these things nowadays. As a photographer go look at other photographers work, in print, up close, you will see bad processing, distortion, aberrations, clumsy cloning etc way before you think, 'it's not sharp'.

I think I get it now. there is a communication problem here.
let see if it is fixable but open your mind and give up negativity, please.

1. I never said Canon 85 F1.4 IS is a bad glass. I said a solid performer but not as exciting as Canon35 F1.4 II
2. I do find CA levels in new Canon lens to be excessive.
3. in regards to your advise :... Further, if sharpness is your main goal you already have the options, just get an Otus.."

a. no sharpens is not my main goal. it is one of the check boxes that have to be ticked.
b. it is a A$5,500.00 lens. who can afford this? not an appropriate advise to give unless you are under impression that we are talking pocket money here.

4. you are talking about final product being prints exclusively but world moves rapidly away from this paradigm.
digital assets becoming an increasingly important form of communication and an artistic expression.

You Can't Drive Forward Looking Through a Rear View Mirror - do you agree?

5. Sigma is a optically better lens in following areas: sharpness, chromatic aberrations, micro contrast
6. Sigma is equally as good: rendition wide open, bokeh, saturation out of the camera.
Sigma not as good: vignetting, AF drift over time (please note: drift, not consistency), weather resistance level, larger and heavier

AF Drift: lens requires AFMA re-adjustment every few months. for many it may poses an issue.for others: not really. I service my car twice a year. I readjust my Sigma lenses twice a year. Canon is virtually maintenance free.

7. Canon cost twice of Sigma's cost in Australia: A$2,300 vs A$1,1150. a consideration for many people that actually have budget and who not earning $500K per annum.

8. Canon serviceability is superior to Sigma in Australia in general but I live 25km away frombthe Sigma Service centre. so not an issue.

9. quality of build: Canon is a better built lens. for studio work it does not matter at all. for run and gun, events and on location I would consider Canon.

10. Canon is smaller and lighter. superior of on location, run and gun, event photography. in studio Sigma is a better glass to use. for me it is a very well balanced lens on my 5D IV

11. weather resistance. Canon is better built lens in that regard. again, on location, run and gun, events - Canon wins.

12. Image stabilisation:
I found that on 5D IV i have to keep shutter speed at x1.5 faster than focal length level at least.(for pin sharp images) IS would be of great assistance even on 30Mp FF camera. for now, I am OK for now but image stabilised primes becoming a necessity in near future. it may be a consideration for many already today.

13. You are referring to some others that are unhappy with Sigma AF inconsitencies reported by others and that I am raving about my own copy. let me clarify:

a. there is no reliable information about Sigma 85 Art AF inconsistency exist. all reviewer reported otherwise.
b. there is reliable information regarding focus drift in time issue. confirmed. spoke with service. they suggested to re adjust once a year.
c. I provided full AF consistency report that validates my statement:Sigma 85 Art is AF consistent when centre and peripheral AF point were used even in low light. please provide alternative reliable data to prove me otherwise.
d. I have personally calibrated 11 Sigma 85 Art lenses. none of them exhibited AF inconsistency at calibration stage. I repeat: none. I can smell a drop of blood in the ocean of water when it comes to AF consistency misbehavior. I have done so many Sigmas it is not funny.
e. I have sold my Sigma 35, 50, 24, 135 Art lenses due to erratic AF behavior on 5D IV body. 85A is different.

in conclusion:

when I run and gun, I would much prefer new Canon.
I would prefer Sigma in studio when maximum IQ, resolution, details are required and weight and size is not that of an issue at the same time. ( |Sigma compares favourably even to canon 70-200 F4 lens, let alone F2.8 size and weight wise).

for run and gun, events situation I use Canon holy trinity of latest a greatest lenses but for studio work Sigma is the glass. Otus is out of question due to its outlandish price and lack of AF.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
pretty anecdotal video. I would not give it a very high credibility mark for the following 3 reasons at least.:

1. there is a tell tale sign that Sigma and the Canon 85 IS shots were not at its peak sharpness. both back focused at infinity.
2. edge of the frame sharpness being better on Canon 85 F1.2 statement: read alert for any sensible person,.
3. at around 3:40 statement that new Canon lens comes with a new coating that should help fight chromatic aberrations. I repeat: coating should help fight chromatic aberrations.. the coating... oh, please...

Lens Rental, Dustin Abbott, The Digital Picture, Lens Tip ( to some degree) - are reputable sources of information.

Apop said:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
privatebydesign said:
I believe you can update lens and flash software via an appropriate body. Bodies are easily updated via the memory cards.

P.S. Also Canon have little need for a lens dock due to the fact they maintain almost 100% lens/body compatibility across the EOS/EF range. And the lenses are micro adjusted to the body, via the body.

I'm not aware of any user-applied flash firmware updates. But, I'm only aware one flash firmware update, for the 600EX-RT that was only needed if using 7+ slave flashes (I have four, and although my units are affected I didn't send them in).

Lens firmware updates are also rare, I'm only aware of five. Four were for the MkII superteles (300-600mm), and required sending the lens to Canon (they covered shipping both ways, fortunately my 600/4 II came with updated firmware). The fifth was for the 40/2.8 pancake, and that could be installed by users with a compatible body (IIRC, any body post-2012).

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Apop said:

“The Sigma is near identical in speed, but it has to readjust a little where the Canon stays locked” right there, just right there is one of the reason I don’t even consider Sigma. Tracking subjects with that means it will be more uncertain and won’t stay on in the same way. And this was indeed the case with all my Art’s. And also true for the 50 Art that actually worked. One shot was fine, at least for 5 months, but Ai servo was not on par with my Canon glass.

Upvote 0
BINGO!

I'm diggin' mine!

Viggo said:
Apop said:

“The Sigma is near identical in speed, but it has to readjust a little where the Canon stays locked” right there, just right there is one of the reason I don’t even consider Sigma. Tracking subjects with that means it will be more uncertain and won’t stay on in the same way. And this was indeed the case with all my Art’s. And also true for the 50 Art that actually worked. One shot was fine, at least for 5 months, but Ai servo was not on par with my Canon glass.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The Digital Picture has image quality comparisons up for the 85mm F/1.4L IS, and I am impressed:

vs. Sigma art 85mm 1.4
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1168&Camera=979&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=1085&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

vs EF 85mm f/1.2L II
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1168&Camera=979&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=397&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Obviously the Sigma Art is a little stronger, but considering this is on the 50 megapixel 5DS, I am blown away with what Canon pulled off with IS and without making the lens gigantic. Definitely up next on my wishlist.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Tried mine today in the, for me, worst case scenario; Horrible flood light which flickers like crazy, odd color temp, and tracking kids soccer. AND tracking with the outer points.

Although this pretty noisy and lacks detail, I'm impressed. I know that my, now sold, 200 f2.0 struggled in the same conditions, and of course a stop slower. So for a midrange f1.4 this is seriously nice AF performance.

1dx2+85 IS, f1.4, iso 25600, 1/1000s
soccer.jpg

Upvote 0