The Canon EOS R3 pricing to undercut the competition [CR3]

I think it all depends on whether the R3 is generally better than the IDXIII.
It would be hard to see it being priced lower than the IDXIII if it is.
It should have more MP and better focusing - two key things.
The IDXIII is probably only going to be better in terms of battery life. It looks physically bigger - so heavier.
I have a 1DXIII and its a good camera but I always thought that Canon poorly chose to put a 20MP sensor in it.
30MP would have been a much better choice and the camera would be all the better for it.
I'll really be interested in the R3 ability to track items and keep focus.
The 1DXIII was an improvement but still struggles with small moving objects like birds. It's very good with bigger objects.
I await to see what an R3 can do, mirrorless promises so much in terms of focusing but little birds are still tricky.

I actually like that fact that my 1DX3 has 20mp sensor. Images are gorgeous and I can shoot lots of them without worrying about storage size. When editing - TIFF from 20Mp raw file is around 100Mb, can't imagine how big they are when editing 50Mp files... like 250-300Mb... It is like 3-4 images per gig to store. No thanks.

I have 1D mark I, which is 4.2mp camera and images are awesome in terms of both colors and details.

Most people did not tried 1DX3 at all, and just jerking off on specs. It worth the price. Love it with my 400mm 2.8 III. Oh and yeah, I may not be in a mainstream, but I enjoy quality OVF more than EVF. I could have larger keep rate with mirrorless, but I would not enjoy the process as much and you have to really enjoy it hen you carrying 10kg setup over few hour long hike to get that one shot.

I still will buy R3 to play with it and compare, don't have any expectations about it tho.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon's goal right now is to sell lenses while they have a monopoly. No one produces a fully compatible RF lens. They are a big profit item for Canon. Buyers of high end cameras tend to own multiple lenses, so selling bodies promotes lens sales. I think it may be priced at 5000-5500. Canon has a range of prices in mind, the camera was designed to meet a price point, In the end, its marketing that will decide what the market will bear.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

WJF

May 4, 2021
As they look at the long term future of the gripped cameras, I think they will change batteries if they can reduce the size while improving the performance. Canon tends to take the long view and I believe they will change the battery if it reduces overall manufacturing costs while maintaining or improving performance. I am willing to take that hit even though I kept all of my extra batteries when I sold the 1dx II. I treat it as another cost of the decision to move to the R platform. I think the constraining factor is where or not they can cram equal or more power into a smaller form factor battery. I know Canon did not take this approach with the R5, but I think they were happy with the size and didn't feel a need to further reduce battery size. I made a complete switch to the R5 from EOS DSLR / EF lenses. If you use the R5/R6 as a backup, you will still need to carry two chargers unless they can create a super, duper R3 battery in the LP E6NH format.
Considering Canon's statement that the R3 is slated below the 1Dx mkIII, I wonder if they may utilize the LP E6 series batteries in the R3 instead of the 1Dx series?

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Will an ETA for the R3 also be available in the next few days ? I was close to purchasing the R5 when the R3 announcement came out. As a bird and wildlife hobbyist photographer I feel I will benefit from the bump from 20fps to 30fps, and certainly benefit from longer battery life and a tougher body.

I'm a bird photographer....The resolution on the R5 is not to be trifled with....have they given R3 resolution yet? If it's not close to the R5 I'd probably just stick with the R5...

Upvote 0
I'm a bird photographer....The resolution on the R5 is not to be trifled with....have they given R3 resolution yet? If it's not close to the R5 I'd probably just stick with the R5...

This is a key point. The R5 has transformed what is possible for wildlife photography where one is very often cropping significantly. Some of my photos, after cropping are in the 6-15MP range and would have been too small to work with on a 1 series. Subjects such as swallows in flight are now possible thanks to 20fps, no blackout and eye AF across the frame, coupled with the ability to crop deeply. I was previously never successful with a 1DX2 without this combination of features. I would very much welcome an R3 though, as the slight lag when panning for an erratic subject in ES does hinder overall accuracy.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon has up-ended the industry's model line ups. Sony will need to revamp their line up soon, or simply stay out of sync with Canon. The R5 - A9 match up is weird, the R5 - A7 match up is equally odd (although being both company's general all rounder bodies). The R5 - A7r is close, but not expected to hold up when Canon releases a high MP body. And I haven't even touched on the R5 - A1... Sony's line is a mess for direct comparison. Nikon isn't a lot different, but its set to compete a little more squarely, as far as the lines go... but their feature set and competence is not quite there. And then... there's the $8000 true flagship (R1) that is likely being prepped. What is Sony going to do? Tap out, and simply stay out of that realm? Or rename their entire line up? Who knows, maybe they want an offset line-up, in which case, they are being undercut by products that offer more value. IMO, Sony is in for lots of changes over the next couple of years. They make great products, so they'll be fine, but I can see a real marketing issue developing.
As long as Sony is selling their line at an acceptable clip, they won't tap out. What the heck is that supposed to mean anyway?

1. Companies never match each other feature for feature. They don't have to because the desires of consumers are not monolithic.

2. The company in the lead today isn't there perpetually, ever. There's always leapfrogging.

3. Personally, I am committed to Canon. I like the products. It is a fool's game for people to constantly worry that brand X or Y will surpass their chosen brand one way or another. Just shoot. Only complete fool's OR people with gobs of money switch systems everytime the "New Shiny" comes out.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Pure speculation on my part, but to ease prosumers up the chain? ...just wondering to the universe. ;)
Oh I understand it is all speculation at the moment, and quite fun really.

I keep banging on about the EOS 3 and 1V, they shared a grip and, obviously, battery, both the internal battery and the bigger one for in the grip. Which was basically the same as the 1D and 1DS batteries when they came out, I used to swap over endplates on them regularly.

I think that is very firmly where Canon is heading, the R3 will have more tech in it, like the eye focus, the R1 will have the $2,000 global shutter which has already been proven in the C line. They could easily be the same body shell to reduce manufacturing costs too.

How's that for some speculation? ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I believe the R3 was the original successor of the 1D mark iii. so I think this campera will have around 20 MP. And because of the Z9 and A1 Canon will use the fullframe sensor of the not jet announced canon Cinema C500(??) for a high MP high performance pro camera.
I don't believe we'll see anymore new FF cameras less than 30 mpix.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Absolutely. People with that kind of money to spend on a body tend to be good money managers.
Been to a jewelry store a few weeks ago. The customer at the service counter started arguing (politely) about the cost of a battery replacement.
His watch was a Vacheron-Constantin "Traditionelle Quartz" for Euro 14300, approximately $ 16000.
A new battery was to cost Euro 10...

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Been to a jewelry store a few weeks ago. The customer at the service counter started arguing (politely) about the cost of a battery replacement.
His watch was a Vacheron-Constantin "Traditionelle Quartz" for Euro 14300, approximately $ 16000.
A new battery was to cost Euro 10...
I have an old Tag Heur, for me it isn't the cost of the battery it is the cost of the fitting. New seals and pressure testing make that $5 battery a $100 job that takes three days and two trips to my local big city an hour away.

• Wow
Upvote 0