The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

In Singapore you will get the sales tax back at the airport when you leave and they will NOT tell your local tax authorities about it. So you can basically shop tax free in Singapore. Of course you should get rid of the packaging of your new camera and look like a tourist who bought it at home. That way the R5 costs almost 700 Euros less than in Germany and that is enough money for an economy flight to Singapore and back.
And what you should do when you return to EU is to walk the red line and declare your goods at the customs office, and pay the VAT and possible import duties (though no duties on cameras in EU at the moment). That is, if you want to be a lawful citizen, and not a smuggler.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
With over 600+ comments on the rumored 24 Mp R3, it's like reading a great mystery novel. I think I've read all of the threads and sub-threads but here is my guess and 2 cents, based upon clues mentioned earlier throughout. The comment(rumor) that talked about the new R3 providing high resolution but with a trick suggests to me that even though the new R3 may only have a 24 MP sensor,, canon maybe holding back on announcing that they will have a "pixel shift" mode that would provide a higher resolution picture! Other clues I'm taking into consideration: 1.) New form of IBIS(sensor shift for accomplishment of pixel shift?)
Anyway, can't wait for the official release!
Cheers

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
With over 600+ comments on the rumored 24 Mp R3, it's like reading a great mystery novel. I think I've read all of the threads and sub-threads but here is my guess and 2 cents, based upon clues mentioned earlier throughout. The comment(rumor) that talked about the new R3 providing high resolution but with a trick suggests to me that even though the new R3 may only have a 24 MP sensor,, canon maybe holding back on announcing that they will have a "pixel shift" mode that would provide a higher resolution picture! Other clues I'm taking into consideration: 1.) New form of IBIS(sensor shift for accomplishment of pixel shift?)
Anyway, can't wait for the official release!
Cheers
Has anybody implemented pixel shift where it is anything but a spec sheet point? It seems to me if both camera and subject movement have to be limited to less than a pixel width it is a 'feature' with very little real world value.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Has anybody implemented pixel shift where it is anything but a spec sheet point? It seems to me if both camera and subject movement have to be limited to less than a pixel width it is a 'feature' with very little real world value.
In a stacked sensor design, can the sensors move independently of each other? If so you could at least in theory get a shifted image in one exposure.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
In a stacked sensor design, can the sensors move independently of each other? If so you could at least in theory get a shifted image in one exposure.
No. You are misunderstanding the term stacked sensor. All the light sensitive photodiodes are on the same level and physical 'thing'.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I believe that a number of other good camera manufacturers have implemented pixel shift technology. That said, many caveat it with practical suggestions that it would be good for landscape or portrait photography where there is little or no movement
Yes the technology has been implemented by several man=ufacturers, my question was has anybody done it where it has practical real world uses outside very still life subjects in studios? I don't believe so.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I believe that a number of other good camera manufacturers have implemented pixel shift technology. That said, many caveat it with practical suggestions that it would be good for landscape or portrait photography where there is little or no movement
This could very well be the trick but it’s hard to see how this would be an exciting feature on a high speed sports and action camera if the feature cannot be used for any moving subjects.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
And what you should do when you return to EU is to walk the red line and declare your goods at the customs office, and pay the VAT and possible import duties (though no duties on cameras in EU at the moment). That is, if you want to be a lawful citizen, and not a smuggler.
I never understood why a country thinks it has the right for taxes on something I bought somewhere else. And I do not like the EU a bit. They invent new taxes all the time.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
By definition pixel shift technology will always be a sideshow with practically no real world use (particularly in a low resolution sports orientated camera) as it necessitates several different exposures.
Predictions have a nasty habit of coming back to bite you! The Pentax K-3 III already has a primitive motion compensation for pixel shift and the clever programmers may well will work out more efficient ways of neutralising movement between shots. There is quite a lot of published work on compensation for movement between images.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Predictions have a nasty habit of coming back to bite you! The Pentax K-3 III already has a primitive motion compensation for pixel shift and the clever programmers may well will work out more efficient ways of neutralising movement between shots. There is quite a lot of published work on compensation for movement between images.
I know, half the time I say stuff like that just to be proven wrong!

The truth is 24mp 95% of the time and pixel shift - that works- for the other 5% of the time would suit me perfectly!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The key is that these few tax-hungry states require you to file an annual report and sign under oath and with criminal penalties for lying, swaeaiung as to your actual unpaid sales taxes, or paying them their required minimum. Most states with a few notable exceptions don't do anything, including go after individuals (or it would be big news).
Yes, the sheer audacity of some states wanting people to follow the law and pay the revenues they legally owe.

So if your state doesn’t go after you, then committing an illegal act is perfectly fine? That seems to be your implication over several posts. Is claiming your dog as a dependent on your tax return ok, as long as you don’t get caught? Stealing from your employer? Mugging that little old lady walking home from cashing her social security check? Hey, as long as you don’t get caught, it’s all good, right?

Now, I know you’re not advocating robbery. But what about when that little old lady that you didn’t rob has her house burn to the ground because there was another fire in the area and the local fire department was inadequately resourced, because they didn’t get their share of the billions of dollars of state revenue lost to scofflaws like you? Or maybe it will be your house. But you can relax, because in your opinion you’re committing and encouraging a ‘victimless crime’. Bravo!

Ps, you do know that not paying use tax on out of state purchases is illegal like all forms of tax fraud, don’t you? And you know that it’s not the merchant’s responsibility to pay it, it’s yours, right?

Upvote 0
Hope R6 mark II will come (2022) to the non-pro but expert market with a minimum of 32 Mp (and a maximum of 36 Mp)! If not, I guess Fujifilm X-H2, even not being a FF camera, costing below $2500, will rule that market! Besides their excellent lenses, there're great adapters for our Canon lenses, EF and FD included!!! Please, Canon, don't let us down again!

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I agree. I find pixel shift technology completely useless in the read world. Sounds great on a spec sheet, but that is about it especially on a camera designated for sports. Now if the sensor is a quad-bayer array that is a different story, but I do not anticipate such technology. Wait another 4-6 weeks for an official announcement....

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Hope R6 mark II will come (2022) to the non-pro but expert market with a minimum of 32 Mp (and a maximum of 36 Mp)! If not, I guess Fujifilm X-H2, even not being a FF camera, costing below $2500, will rule that market! Besides their excellent lenses, there're great adapters for our Canon lenses, EF and FD included!!! Please, Canon, don't let us down again!
There will be no R6II in 2022. Fujifilm has a long way to go to rule the market -- indeed, even Fujifilm has admitted they are in the market for sentimental reasons more than anything else. If you feel Canon has let you down, then buy something else. Posting on a web forum isn't going to make any difference.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I never understood why a country thinks it has the right for taxes on something I bought somewhere else. And I do not like the EU a bit. They invent new taxes all the time.
The former French president wanted even to implement a tax on emails !
No, it isn't a joke...
And a several years ago, in France, wheelchairs for disabled people were considered vehicles and submitted to the same luxury taxation (33% if I'm not mistaken) as Porsches, Lamborghinis or Renault cars.
And again, this is no joke...

Last edited:
Upvote 0