The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

I didn’t buy the R5 but I am going to buy the R3. For me, the ergonomics trump the MP count.
It's been my experience that the best photographers almost always value the handling and ergonomics of a camera over some tech specs like MP (assuming that certain minimum standards have been met, which with today's cameras almost always applies.).

I am certainly not one of those best photographers, but I know when I am out shooting, usually my ability to know and operate my camera becomes more important than MP or other technical capabilities of that camera, because all of the camera are so advanced anyway. A lot of that is on me, but it does help to have a camera with a great design, user friendly controls and menu's, etc.

Canon has mastered the user experience moreso than most other brands, and I think that is why they have been number 1 all of these years.

BTW, someone noted this in another discussion a while back: amateurs care more about the specs but don't know what to do with them.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Just curious, but is the lower MP camera for the "professionals" still an issue? Are larger files as big of an impediment in today's environment with faster processors in cameras and computers, faster media cards, faster USB throughput, 5G LTE broadband, and all the techno marvels today?
Yes, because most people don't yet have all of those techno marvels yet. How many people have 5G ultra wide band, the really fast type that makes a difference? A tiny amount so far. Most athletic venues do not have the latest and greatest broadband connectivity. Most do not have the latest and greatest computers. All of that takes time and serious money to upgrade.

As someone noted on another site: "Just browse the Getty Coverage from Olympics and you will have a hard time finding photos that are larger than 14-15 Mpix. Yes, there are some, but through their website, the largest dimension on most of their photos is less than 4500Px. And they want 475 USD for them..."

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
1D X - 2012
1D X II - 2016
1D X III - 2020

That suggests 2024 for the next 1-series body.
Interesting, although I recall the 1D XIII was a fairly modest update, so there might be an impulse to move onto a mirrorless version a little more quickly. I still think that will partly depend on the reception and uptake of the R3, and (obviously) ongoing feedback from existing users of the pro-bodies.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I wouldn't be able to afford it even for $4000. But logically, $6000+taxes - way too much. Obviously, Canon is aiming at agencies only. Photographers who pay for their own equipment won't be very happy to spend that much.

They only like the agencies and big newspapers for the visual impact. Canon doesn't really give us any incentive to purchase. Unlike Sony and Nikon.
I buy my own gear and do not get a camera allowance.
Sony is much more willing to work with news fotogs to get gear in their hands. They understand we get stopped and asked what camera to buy almost every day. I was stopped in a park today after shooting a motorcycle pix.
But I am in too deep and love the Canon files, so I am %&*#@
And Canon seems to know it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Yes, because most people don't yet have all of those techno marvels yet. How many people have 5G ultra wide band, the really fast type that makes a difference? A tiny amount so far. Most athletic venues do not have the latest and greatest broadband connectivity. Most do not have the latest and greatest computers. All of that takes time and serious money to upgrade.

As someone noted on another site: "Just browse the Getty Coverage from Olympics and you will have a hard time finding photos that are larger than 14-15 Mpix. Yes, there are some, but through their website, the largest dimension on most of their photos is less than 4500Px. And they want 475 USD for them..."

Spot on, on many fronts.
I shoot for the biggest newspaper group in the country and we are all running 1d X mk 2 with zero plans to update in the foreseeable future.
The mk 2 is still a good camera. So I buy my own.

The other aspect you didn't mention is the cost of the servers to store it all.
We have a max output size on the long side that came out of discussions based solely on a server upgrade and the related costs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
It's been my experience that the best photographers almost always value the handling and ergonomics of a camera over some tech specs like MP (assuming that certain minimum standards have been met, which with today's cameras almost always applies.).

I am certainly not one of those best photographers, but I know when I am out shooting, usually my ability to know and operate my camera becomes more important than MP or other technical capabilities of that camera, because all of the camera are so advanced anyway. A lot of that is on me, but it does help to have a camera with a great design, user friendly controls and menu's, etc.

Canon has mastered the user experience moreso than most other brands, and I think that is why they have been number 1 all of these years.

BTW, someone noted this in another discussion a while back: amateurs care more about the specs but don't know what to do with them.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
You're making the assumption that every one on these forums are amateurs. By the way, full time professional photographers are a small subset of camera owners. If Canon depended on only "Professional" photographers they would have ceased manufacturing of cameras decades ago. Their cash cow units that sell in abundance are not manufactured with professionals in minds. Photography is an element of the arts.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If there is one.
Are you suggesting that Canon will not launch any more 1-series cameras? That seems completely unrealistic. Canon already stated that they’re working toward a 1-series MILC (presumably to be called the R1).

I suspect you interpreted my list to mean I’m suggesting there will be a 1D X IV in 2024, but if you scroll up you’ll see that I suggested that is the timing of the R1, replacing both the R3 and the 1D X III.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I would rather have the option of higher resolution and not need it than need the higher resolution and not have it. And no, rental house are not available in every region. The idea that a sensor has to be configured or manufactured for only low megapixel or high megapixel is outdated. Samsung and Sony both have EXOCELL sensors configurable for 12.5/50/200 mp. $6000 for chimped technical hardware so as not to impede R5 sales.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Are you suggesting that Canon will not launch any more 1-series cameras? That seems completely unrealistic. Canon already stated that they’re working toward a 1-series MILC (presumably to be called the R1).

I suspect you interpreted my list to mean I’m suggesting there will be a 1D X IV in 2024, but if you scroll up you’ll see that I suggested that is the timing of the R1, replacing both the R3 and the 1D X III.
Of course, there will be R1. I am sceptical about 1dx4 - for that matter any more DSLRs.

Upvote 0