The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The difference is that Nikon have said the Z9 is going to be the top model of the Z line, whereas Canon have specifically said the R3 is their second-top model; the 1D X III is still Canon's #1 (literally) body and will remain so until a potential R1.

I expect what Canon are doing is replicating the 1D/1Ds split which lead the way for their digital SLRs prior to the 'X' merging. The change they've made is to name one of the models '3' rather than having two '1's, since last time it did cause some confusion.
So, what I am anticipating eventually happening is Canon having two 'integrated grip' models, the R3 being like the old 1D series which is optimised for sports and news where speed and in-camera jpg quality matters more than resolution, and an R1 being like the 1Ds line which is optimised for studio, landscape and architecture where resolution and the best possible raw quality is prioritised over speed.

A lot of people are expecting every mirrorless camera to carry on being jacks-of-all-trades like the last few top SLRs are. The problem is this is a full system reboot, just like when the industry moved to digital, and just like before that when everyone moved to automatic focus and exposure. So while there is advancement, there will also be some elements which regress; swapping to a whole new design is always two steps forward, one step back. We've seen the Sony a1 try to do everything in one and it's a very good camera in all regards, but the rolling shutter is a bit much for some sports pros, the raw quality is not quite as good for landscape as the a7R IV, etc. Everything about it is a 9/10, but nothing manages to hit 10/10. I'm not expecting the Z9 to be a diferent story; I'm sure it'll be great in every regard, but I don't see them making it the absolute best-in-class in any one single area.
By splitting your top performance across multiple bodies, each optimised for a specific requirement, Canon could actually make the R3 the top sports camera, while a potential R1 could be the top image quality camera. Instead of one camera that is a 9/10 in everything, they can make cameras which are 10/10 in a couple of key areas. And when you're a full-time, 24/7 professional, that extra optimisation for the specific task you need to do becomes everything. Dentists and lawyers who want the fanciest toy to show off down the country club will prefer the all-rounders, but there's a reason why for decades the sports sidelines have been dominated by Canon's sports-optimised bodies, while the resolution-optimised bodies have held the highest market share in product, fashion, and natural sciences photography.

There are positive rumours that Fujifilm will be doing this with the X-H2, having two bodies optimised for different purposes so pros can pick the body which is perfect for their particular uses, rather than settling on a body that is almost-but-not-quite perfect and paying for features they won't use.
There is only ONE jack of all trades Canon camera, the 5D and it's replacement the R5 with 45mp. There was a reason it was carried tothe Tokyo Olympics to handle what the R3 and 1dxIII could not. The X-H2 conversly will be 40mp both versions.

Upvote 0
I plan a trip to Japan to try to avoid VAT, grabbing R3, 28-70 and 100-500. I'm not a working photographer just an enthusiast who saved up. Is there anyone like me ?
Maybe I'll buy some Tenga to decoy the EU border control...
"Anything to declare?"
"Well... *sweats* this I bought" *shows a pack of three tengas*
*bored control start to inspect*
"Well they are used to I thought I could avoid declaring"

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I plan a trip to Japan to try to avoid VAT, grabbing R3, 28-70 and 100-500. I'm not a working photographer just an enthusiast who saved up. Is there anyone like me ?
Maybe I'll buy some Tenga to decoy the EU border control...
"Anything to declare?"
"Well... *sweats* this I bought" *shows a pack of three tengas*
*bored control start to inspect*
"Well they are used to I thought I could avoid declaring"
Googled. Smirked. Wondered why you need more than one. Still,I don't judge.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
So glad to see how proud you are of your theory! Of course, since none of us work for Canon, we have no proof that your theory is impossible. How lucky you must feel that this is so!

All that aside, I am glad that your theory is almost certainly - but not provably - wrong. Since the release cycle for their 1 series cameras has been every 4 years, and released in time for the summer Olympics, if this was going to be the R1, then it would mean that they were rushing out their latest 1 series camera (plus, almost certainly ensuring lower sales, since the 1DX III was released less than 2 years ago). I don't care about sales, of course, but just pointing out another reason why your theory is most likely totally invalid. But, personally, I would rather Canon stick to the statements they have made indicating that they are not going to rush out a "flagship" camera, but will ensure that they have every issue and innovation worked out to the best of their ability. I think long time Canon owners do not want to see Canon take on the Sony philosophy of releasing cameras in what many folks considered "beta"versions. I'm not sure they would have the patience, or the gullibility, of those early Sony adapters who bought the first 2 generations of the A7 series cameras. As a Canon user for over 25 years, I would have been really pissed if Canon released such sub-par cameras with the thought that I can just buy the next version, which will fix all those issues...at full price, of course. I did own, for a brief time, the A7 and the A7 II, so I speak with at least my own experience about these cameras. Luckily I was able to see their deficiencies within the return window timeframe and did not lose any money. One could argue that the entire FF Sony A series was a Beta version, as many claim that the camera was originally designed to be APS-C and then changed at the last minute to FF. So I guess last minute changes are possible!

But for a "flagship" camera that will have a heavy price tag, I hope Canon takes their time to get things right. I think, as others have pointed out, that the R3 is a way to go part way there on the way to what they hope to accomplish with the R1.
I must of missed my own theory, can you explain to me what was my theory that was wrong?!? Because all I said was that something wasn't impossible, which isn't a theory at all, but indeed a fact. Now if I were to say Canon could have created the R3 out of thin air, I could understand your long response to me. So there's no theory I have to be proud of. And as I've said at least 4 times now, I'm not saying the R3 was meant to be the R1, I merely said it's not impossible this could have been the case. Nothing more, nothing less. ;-)

Upvote 0

BuffaloBird

CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
It's been my experience that the best photographers almost always value the handling and ergonomics of a camera over some tech specs like MP (assuming that certain minimum standards have been met, which with today's cameras almost always applies.).

I am certainly not one of those best photographers, but I know when I am out shooting, usually my ability to know and operate my camera becomes more important than MP or other technical capabilities of that camera, because all of the camera are so advanced anyway. A lot of that is on me, but it does help to have a camera with a great design, user friendly controls and menu's, etc.

Canon has mastered the user experience moreso than most other brands, and I think that is why they have been number 1 all of these years.

BTW, someone noted this in another discussion a while back: amateurs care more about the specs but don't know what to do with them.
While I agree with this, generally, I have grown to appreciate and perhaps rely on the 45MP sensors of the R5 for cropping into tiny warbler photos. As comfortable as an R3 may be in-hand, it cannot do what I need it to at 24MP. Again, that's my use case, and I respect that others' use cases may be met by the R3.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
That would make it cost the same as the R5 here…
Nokishita is the source. There is something that doesn't seem to add up about the US vs EU prices they leaked so far.
Nonetheless, they explicitly stated that their leaked price includes VAT of about 20%.
1631485206650.png

1631485178297.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Serenesunrise

EOS R8, AE1 P
CR Pro
Mar 27, 2019
Ipswich
That's equivalent to $7,250 in the UK , over priced and with a 24mp sensor ( apparently) :eek:
6099euro is equal to £5,204…if you add 20% VAT that is £6,245. But if the 6099 price includes VAT then the R3 could be priced at £5204….but then again we will probably end up paying more in the UK.

Upvote 0
I just ordered a lens from B&H and they have the 35,85, 50 1.2, 600, 24-105, and maybe the 50 1.8 in stock. Did not check the adapters.
Only the 50 1.2 is an L lens in your list. The L 85 is not in stock, they had the imported in stock a few weeks ago but not now. The other L lens in stock is the 70-200mm F4L.
I waited months for the $199 adapter to be in stock, it was just a few weeks back for one day and I ordered quickly and then they were all gone.
There are quit a few non L lenses.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
This obsession with 'flagship' is weird. Flagship does not mean the camera is 'best', as best is for the photographer's wants. If a photographer wants high MPX, then R3 is not 'best' but R5 is. If the photographer wants, speed R3 is 'best'.
Yes owning the “flagship” sounds more like a matter of bragging rights than of taking pictures.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Nokishita is the source. There is something that doesn't seem to add up about the US vs EU prices they leaked so far.
Nonetheless, they explicitly stated that their leaked price includes VAT
€6099 x 1.25 = Norwegian price, is my guess for Tuesday. It will be a fun day no matter what, and I can’t afford it either way:p

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Predict, or personally want?

Answer honestly:
1) Does it make sense for Canon’s second-best camera to be the one most used at high-profile events?
2) Has Canon’s history suggested the use of a high MP sensor in their sports/PJ camera?

I agree that is doesn’t make sense to have a 20 MP 1D X III and a 24 MP R3 aimed at sports/PJ then release a 24-30 MP R1 aimed at sports/PJ…if the R1 is released soon.

But why must it be released soon? Because of Nikon? That rationale was used when Nikon came out with their first MILC. Canon waited, Nikon’s failed, Canon’s became a global best-selling line. That rationale was used when Sony came out with their first FF MILC. Canon waited 4 years to launch theirs.

Nikon is also losing ILC market share, mainly to Sony, such that they’re now 3rd in a market that was formerly dominated by just two makers.
I could not imagine a low mp sports camera that would be worth $2K more than the R3 (assumimg that the R1 price is as high as people are suggesting). The R3 specs seems to tick most boxes for the sports shooter crowd. I don't think they care if it has a "1" in the name.

But I can imagine an R1 with 60+ MP, global shutter (high speed flash sync), 16 bit files (better skin tones), lower fps that would be of interest to landscape, architecture, commercial photographers. And of course to the all important well healed enthusiasts.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
€6099 x 1.25 = Norwegian price, is my guess for Tuesday. It will be a fun day no matter what, and I can’t afford it either way:p
As long as you enjoy hearing the words "game changer" repeated every other sentence, then you will LOVE the Canon Europe event!

By the way, I added screenshots of the Nokishita tweets (one stating VAT is including, one saying it is "about 20%) in post 228.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I could not imagine a low mp sports camera that would be worth $2K more than the R3 (assumimg that the R1 price is as high as people are suggesting). The R3 specs seems to tick most boxes for the sports shooter crowd. I don't think they care if it has a "1" in the name.
I am not suggesting the photographers care, I am saying Canon would care.

But I can imagine an R1 with 60+ MP, global shutter (high speed flash sync), 16 bit files (better skin tones), lower fps that would be of interest to landscape, architecture, commercial photographers. And of course to the all important well healed enthusiasts.
Those use cases don’t seem to require an extremely rugged body with an integrated grip.

Consider this: for many years Canon carried both the 1D line (faster, lower MP, sports/PJ) and the 1Ds line (slower, high MP, wedding/commercial). When they ‘merged’ those lines, the resulting 1D X and its successors looked essentially like the 1D.

A ‘cycle’ after that merge, Canon increased the MP of the 5-series to the highest FF MP count (50 MP in the 5Ds/R) in a Canon FF camera to date – the ‘crown’ first held by the 1Ds series. 1Ds -> 5Ds. The torch was passed.

That seems like good evidence Canon feels the high MP needs are best met by a 5-series body. Thus we also have the R5 at 45 MP. I expect the R5s will be along as some point with a 60-80 MP sensor and modest fps. Then the R1 at modest MP.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Just curious, but is the lower MP camera for the "professionals" still an issue? Are larger files as big of an impediment in today's environment with faster processors in cameras and computers, faster media cards, faster USB throughput, 5G LTE broadband, and all the techno marvels today?
Well yes I'd say it would be as they don't need high mp so all it would do is slow down their workflow and the camera's speed in an ultra competitive deadline driven environment.
What would pros want in a new camera:
  • higher fps
  • bigger buffers
  • better autofocus
  • more accurate autofocus
  • faster autofocus acquisition
  • better autofocus tracking
  • better subject recognition
  • better wireless transfer speeds
  • better ergonomics
What wouldn't they want:
  • higher mp
  • slower transfer speeds
  • smaller buffers
  • etc.
  • etc.
All the improvements in processing and transfer speeds apply to all the photographers so if your camera has bigger files you're just slowing yourself down for zero benefit.

Remember cameras like the 1DX series and the R3 are specifically designed for sports/press photojournalists not for general purpose work like the R5 and R6 and 5D series.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Yes, I’m sure . the manufacturer guarantee is mostly two years, but at least in Norway it’s an additional 3 years “on everything that’s meant to last longer than 2 years”. So basically batteries aren’t included, but all hardware. Phone companies tried to wiggle their way out of it , but phones are deemed to expensive to only last 2 years or 1 years so they’re also included. If every European country has 5 years I don’t know, but we do.
New Zealand and Australia both have 5 year warranties

• Love
Upvote 0
Why is everyone talking about the A1? Thats Sony's flagship, this is not Canon's flagship. This competes with the a9 II, which is only $4,500 and now looks like a steal next to this for an absurd $6k. As usual, Canon's greed gets the best of them and they wildly overprice an RF product. That means you are looking at around $8k if they ever produce that R1. These ridiculous prices, plus the fact that they are keeping their RF mount closed to 3rd party, are the reasons I had enough after 17 years and switched to Sony. I now have plenty of choices for lenses in all focal lengths and at all price points. Canon is the new Leica, only the rich can afford their $6k cameras and $3k lenses, except Canon is not nearly as good or original as Leica.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Yes, a fun day when both Apple and Canon will announce new products, none of which I will want to buy. But I will read about them, and maybe watch Apple’s presentation.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Why is everyone talking about the A1? Thats Sony's flagship, this is not Canon's flagship. This competes with the a9 II, which is only $4,500 and now looks like a steal next to this for an absurd $6k. As usual, Canon's greed gets the best of them and they wildly overprice an RF product. That means you are looking at around $8k if they ever produce that R1. These ridiculous prices, plus the fact that they are keeping their RF mount closed to 3rd party, are the reasons I had enough after 17 years and switched to Sony. I now have plenty of choices for lenses in all focal lengths and at all price points. Canon is the new Leica, only the rich can afford their $6k cameras and $3k lenses, except Canon is not nearly as good or original as Leica.
You’re right, no one can afford the <$1000 EOS RP, the $400 24-105, or the new $300 16/2.8. Canon is so elitist.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0