The Canon EOS R3 will be $5999 USD

Jan 27, 2020
Flagship camera price for a 24mp non flagship device thats merely a backup to the R5? At least the Sony A1 was released at 50mp even with EVF blackouts. The R5 is fast enough to do what is needed for sporting events. Jeff Cable proved that in Tokyo.
If a sports photographer is using the R5 as the main camera and the R3 as the backup, they would be idiots...so it's not going to happen. So when you say "merely a backup" - you are making what is almost certainly an incorrect assumption.

Jeff Cable used the R3 for most of his shots at the Olympics, by the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
It is not a coincidence. The Sony troll network is clearly well organized and very vocal. Not sure what will happen with the R3, but many previous Canon releases were met within a day or two with numerous negative reviews (both written and YouTube videos) that often used the same or very similar language and sometimes repeated the same incorrect information.
So true. Just goes to show you that, if you repeat invalid info over and over again and often enough, some people begin to not only believe it but then pass it on as truth and fact. Sometimes, it pays to be a doubting Thomas, realizing that just because someone says something is so, doesn't make it so......

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Repetition can have a strong influence on the weak-minded.

I heard that from some old guy in a cloak.
I heard that from some old guy in a cloak.
Yes, as I get older, I can only hope that my age doesn't cloud my otherwise good judgment, the voice of reason and my ability to think things through clearly before putting my foot in my mouth by allowing false innuendos to come out of it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes, as I get older, I can only hope that my age doesn't cloud my otherwise good judgment, the voice of reason and my ability to think things through clearly before putting my foot in my mouth by allowing false innuendos to come out of it.
Seems like I offended you…apologies if so, that wasn’t my intent. Perhaps the ‘old guy in the cloak’ reference wasn’t obvious to you, and I did paraphrase Obi-Wan a bit…

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Seems like I offended you…apologies if so, that wasn’t my intent. Perhaps the ‘old guy in the cloak’ reference wasn’t obvious to you, and I did paraphrase Obi-Wan a bit…

FWIW... I did pick up on the reference although I couldn't recall what old guy in a cloak actually said it. I was considering Gandalf as well.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013

LOL!! No offense taken nor did I think there was any insult intended, hidden or otherwise. Just one of those coincidental occasions, you know, where one comment leads into another thought process and so, these old men's minds tend to wander off topic. You'll get there one day, it's inevitable. See what you have to look forward to?? :unsure::sneaky:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
LOL!! No offense taken nor did I think there was any insult intended, hidden or otherwise. Just one of those coincidental occasions, you know, where one comment leads into another thought process and so, these old men's minds tend to wander off topic. You'll get there one day, it's inevitable. See what you have to look forward to?? :unsure::sneaky:
Don't take any notice of these young whippersnappers - they aren't even old enough to be POTUS.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
These days there seem to be a lot more doctors, IT administrators, lawyers, etc. buying cameras than there are working photographers (period).

I think you're right.

I'm not a pro photographer, or a doctor, or a lawyer. I'm not poor, but I'm far from wealthy. But I will probably buy this camera.

Camera gear is what I spend my money on. I drive a 15 year old car. I don't go to the movies, eat out, or subscribe to streaming services. (Just not interested.) Camera stuff, I am interested in.

I'll sell some of my old camera gear to buy this camera. If I don't like it, or if I want to buy the R1 when it appears, I'll sell it.

I'm not devoted to Canon. I've used all kinds of different brands. I really wanted to like Sony, but I just couldn't. The ergonomics are horrible. I wasn't pleased with the results, either. It was fantastic at autofocusing on birds in flight. But I found the colors very flat looking, and it struggled to focus on a bird partly hidden in brush. My Canons had no problem locking on in that situation. I tried all kinds of different settings, but nothing really helped.

Yesterday, I mailed my Sony A9, teleconverter, and Sony FE 100-400mm to KEH. I'll use the money toward an R3.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think you're right.

I'm not a pro photographer, or a doctor, or a lawyer. I'm not poor, but I'm far from wealthy. But I will probably buy this camera.

Camera gear is what I spend my money on. I drive a 15 year old car. I don't go to the movies, eat out, or subscribe to streaming services. (Just not interested.) Camera stuff, I am interested in.

I'll sell some of my old camera gear to buy this camera. If I don't like it, or if I want to buy the R1 when it appears, I'll sell it.

I'm not devoted to Canon. I've used all kinds of different brands. I really wanted to like Sony, but I just couldn't. The ergonomics are horrible. I wasn't pleased with the results, either. It was fantastic at autofocusing on birds in flight. But I found the colors very flat looking, and it struggled to focus on a bird partly hidden in brush. My Canons had no problem locking on in that situation. I tried all kinds of different settings, but nothing really helped.

Yesterday, I mailed my Sony A9, teleconverter, and Sony FE 100-400mm to KEH. I'll use the money toward an R3.

Piker! My car is 26 years old.

This isn't my first hobby by any means (I'm satisfied with my R5, and probably will be for years). My first hobby is FAR more expensive, and I know what it's like to eat Ramen and packing peanuts to help manage a purchase.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Piker! My car is 26 years old.

This isn't my first hobby by any means (I'm satisfied with my R5, and probably will be for years). My first hobby is FAR more expensive, and I know what it's like to eat Ramen and packing peanuts to help manage a purchase.
I kept my 3 previous cars an average of 10 years. In December , 2019, I needed to get new tires before I could get my car inspected. I decided that mostly for fun I would shop around a bit for a car. I’d either buy one or buy tires for my old car, that still had years of life left. There were a couple of good arguments for a new car. The most important one was that new cars all had backup cameras, and I could see that and other safety features becoming more important as I aged. No more than I was driving, I knew the car should last longer than I was likely to, or at least until I quit driving one way or another. I found a car I really liked that was more than twice as expensive as any car I had bought before. (Oddly, the payments are not that much higher than those for my previous car had been, and they just disappear from my secondary checking account, and I don’t notice them.)

I don’t normally take long driving trips anyway, since an Amtrak station is nearby, and a major airport hub is just 25 miles away. But if I had known that everything was going to shut down in a couple months, I probably would have just bought the tires. Still, I am enjoying the car, even though I have managed to drive it just 5,000 miles. And the camera and sensors all around help keep me from crashing into things.

Since retirement, I guess travel has been my most expensive hobby until last year, and photography would be second. But as I have discussed elsewhere here, I haven’t really come up with a photo purchase that would make enough difference to my photography for me to bother with.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I'm not sure the pre-1Dx releases have much relevance today. Both the market and technology have changed so radically. In those days, there were actual newspapers and magazines and many actually had photography staffs. The cost of sensors alone constituted a much more significant portion of the total camera cost, thus the advantages of APS-H for Canon. Things are so radically different today, it would be like predicting a new Ford vehicle based on their Model A.

The Model A? The model A is the automotive equivalent of this camera. Both were introduced in 1903.

1632186462305.png

The 1D and 1Ds series bodies were current bodies (1Ds Mark III and 1D Mark IV) less than ten years ago.

So let's look at a closer parallel between discontinued cars and discontinued cameras:

Honda discontinued the Acura Integra after the 2006 model year. Honda is gong to bring back the Acura Integra in 2022. Canon, like Honda, is a Japanese company.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
1D X - 2012
1D X II - 2016
1D X III - 2020

That suggests 2024 for the next 1-series body.

That was then. This is now.

The disruption of the global pandemic and the chip factory burning to the ground both coinciding with Canon's transition from DSLR to MILC for their top tier products can not be ignored. These are not normal times.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I suspect the flagship price will be higher than the current price of a 1DX3.

Even at "just" $7500, this would make the R3 80% of the cost of an R1 :)

I truly don't know how price-sensitive people or companies who are in the market for a R1 are.

Would it make you feel any better if you knew the price of the R1 was going to be in the $8500-9000 range? Then the R3 is only 67% of the R1 price.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Why is everyone talking about the A1? Thats Sony's flagship, this is not Canon's flagship. This competes with the a9 II, which is only $4,500 and now looks like a steal next to this for an absurd $6k. As usual, Canon's greed gets the best of them and they wildly overprice an RF product. That means you are looking at around $8k if they ever produce that R1. These ridiculous prices, plus the fact that they are keeping their RF mount closed to 3rd party, are the reasons I had enough after 17 years and switched to Sony. I now have plenty of choices for lenses in all focal lengths and at all price points. Canon is the new Leica, only the rich can afford their $6k cameras and $3k lenses, except Canon is not nearly as good or original as Leica.

Add a grip and an extra battery to the α1 and you're north of $5K USD, though, and you still don't have the robustness of the Canon 1-Series. (Yes, the R3 is not a 1-Series body, but Canon has said it will have the same build quality and weather resistance that the 1D X Mark III has.)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Seriously? Look at how the old EF lenses compare to newer lenses made for mirrorless, its not even close. Most are absolutely terrible. We just never noticed it shooting 12 megapixel DSLRs back in the day. Cant get away with that on 30-45 megapixel cameras with current sensors. Oh yea, just go grab an EF adapter for each of my EF lenses like they are free and growing on trees. You're joking right? These things have been out of stock for EIGHT MONTHS and when they do get stock, they are gone within minutes. You really think Canon can't produce these things and keep them in stock? Of course they can, they don't want to though, because they want you to spend big bucks on their absurdly priced RF lenses. Once again, it all goes back to Canon's greed.

"You still here?"

Upvote 0