The Canon EOS R5 Mark II buzz is growing in the background

The current Canon firmwares don’t implement pacing when the buffer is full. The firmware waits for the buffer to clear a bit, shoots 5 shots at full fps, waits form the buffer to clear a bit, shoots 5 shots, etc.

Nikon does it like you describe: write out each shot after it is taken, so you get a nice, even fps that is limited by your CFe card. The Z9 and Z8 are also able to write to CFe at 900-ish MByte/s, the R5 barely reaches 500MByte/s. Both are below the 1500Mbyte/s practical CFe2 limit.
Bring on CFe4!
Question? I remember when the Canon EOS 1DX Mark III came out. YouTube demos seemed to show a camera with a seemingly bottomless buffer, YouTubers standing there holding the shutter button down for what seemed like a minute. Is the R1 going to be on par with that?

I can remember watching those clips and wondering, "Who could ever want more, or complain, about that?" Of course, I was shooting from a 5D III at the time. Now a very slow R.

Upvote 0
No, YOU built up expectations to the moon by following rumour sites and taking what they report as fact. You change your approach to this jumble of info and you won't won't be so disappointed.
Funny how people believe rumors are always true.

Note: Not saying CR isn't truthful, just that rumors are called rumors for a reason. CR can only be as accurate as it's sources. It's hard to understand the vitriol. Well, not really. Half my country is constantly angry over falsehoods.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Question? I remember when the Canon EOS 1DX Mark III came out. YouTube demos seemed to show a camera with a seemingly bottomless buffer, YouTubers standing there holding the shutter button down for what seemed like a minute. Is the R1 going to be on par with that?

I can remember watching those clips and wondering, "Who could ever want more, or complain, about that?" Of course, I was shooting from a 5D III at the time. Now a very slow R.
I think I saw a figure like 1000 cRAWs before it stops, that would be 25 seconds at 40fps.

Upvote 0
I think I saw a figure like 1000 cRAWs before it stops, that would be 25 seconds at 40fps.
Wow. It seems like what it does when the buffer is full is probably moot. That's from a portrait shooter's perspective. Still, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed. Kinda gives spray and pray a whole new meaning. Shotgunning? Ten years ago I don't think anyone here could have imagined shooting 1,000 continuous shots in that short amount of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0