The Canon EOS R5 will begin shipping before the Summer Olympics

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I was initially curious when I heard about the R5. Surely Canon weren't giving up their old ways of selling overpriced outdated technology, were they ? I will reserve final judgment until the product hits the shelves, but knowing Canon I am going to make a prediction. The 8k gimmick, much like their high megapixel still cameras gimmick, will be about masking their lousy codec. The video quality will not be up to par with their cinemas EOS line which itself is below industry par (Panasonic). You will get a camera that looks good on paper but overall unsatisfying. We will see.

In other words, it will be like a Sony?

Well, all of the Sony fanboys have been yelling, "Why can't Canon make a camera like Sony makes?"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Canon has a long track record in doing this. Back in 1985,
they built all the T90 ever sold within only three months in
a single production run and then sold it over a five year timespan.

They subsequently perfected this, and only once miscalculated,
when they ran out of stock for the D60 before the 10D was
ready to ship.

The 5D Mk4 started shipping after 2.400.00 copies preproduced.

Looking at the fact that many R5 across the globe are now
in news embargoed hands of ambassadors, journalists and
influencers, they are for sure running production at maximum warp.

And they will have enough parts sourced for that in advance.
After all, they are the only camera maker who can afford this
without risking to implode.

I am questioning what you are claiming: 2.4 million copies pre-produced?
Can you please provide a source for this claim?
I am question it because it would be very expensive: expenses of 2.4 million x 1000 -> 2.4 billion without having any income -> this is against any business strategy and bears a huge risk ( think, if there was a production flaw then billions are lost -> could easily lead to bankruptcy).
Please provide the source of your claim.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Qualifying bodies and point values to determine membership levels on the CPS website. Is this Canon blessing of what is "Pro"

EOS 1DX6
EOS-1D X Mark II10
EOS 1DX Mark III10
EOS 7D1
EOS 7D Mark II5
EOS 6D5
EOS 6D Mark II6
EOS-5D Mark III4
EOS-5D Mark IV7
EOS 5Ds7
EOS 5Ds R8
EOS 5D Mark II1
EOS R5
EOS RP4

Why would the CPS point scheme be related to being a pro product?
The point scheme is losely related to the cost and/or profit they make with a certain product.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Qualifying bodies and point values to determine membership levels on the CPS website. Is this Canon blessing of what is "Pro"

EOS 1DX6
EOS-1D X Mark II10
EOS 1DX Mark III10
EOS 7D1
EOS 7D Mark II5
EOS 6D5
EOS 6D Mark II6
EOS-5D Mark III4
EOS-5D Mark IV7
EOS 5Ds7
EOS 5Ds R8
EOS 5D Mark II1
EOS R5
EOS RP4

No, because the number of CPS points a specific piece of equipment earns and even whether it is on the list can vary widely from one region to another.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I am question it because it would be very expensive: expenses of 2.4 million x 1000 -> 2.4 billion without having any income -> this is against any business strategy and bears a huge risk ( think, if there was a production flaw then billions are lost -> could easily lead to bankruptcy).

First things first: Canon is concerned with yen, not dollars.

Second: Canon is a roughly 4 x 10^12 yen net income per year company. (That's roughly $35.7B at the current exchange rate)

Third: Canon, Inc. has assets worth over 120% of net annual income.

Fourth: Their gross profit ratio for the most recently published report was 46.4%

$2.4B in unsold inventory of a brand new product is not a cash flow problem for such a company.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'd like to know that as well. One thing that makes me doubt this is how quickly Canon incorporates firmware updates into the supply chain. Canon seems to be quite good at getting updated firmware into bodies, which would be very expensive, if even possible, if you had a million bodies sitting around waiting to be shipped. Manufacturing processes have changed dramatically since 1985, with very few companies keeping large stocks of inventory on hand these days. Most companies prefer to keep inventory to a minimum and instead rely on supply chain efficiencies.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That raises tons of questions. Will R1 also be a flagship camera? Can there be two flagships? Or R5 will stop being a flagship when they release R1?
Also they say subscribe and "Be the first to receive the latest updates on the EOS R5 and the new RF Lenses". Should I subscribe to official Canon or stay here on CanonRumors??
Subscribe to official Canon. Definitely... thanks.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
If it's going to be capable of 20fps, even if the viewfinder stutters at 20fps, that's almost an acceptible video framerate. So just based on the fact that we know the camera will do 20fps means that the viewfinder will not be that jerky.

I don't think we can assume that the EVF will have the same 20 frames refresh rate?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I think I acknowledged that it could be an issue, but if they are shipping in July they have probably started building units for the warehouse. This would be a complex supply chain and they would have been building up components inventories for the last few months in preparation to build even they have not started assembly yet. Depending on the quantity they have built, it could be in extremely limited supply after the pre-orders. I thought Sony's issues was for specialized memory for stacked sensors. In any case, products scheduled for delivery late in the year would be more impacted by the issue in China that products with a mid -year launch already int he manufacturing chain.

We will see, you may be right.
I have a doubt too.
I am even more skeptical about the Olympics itself. Too many droplets all over the place.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'd like to know that as well. One thing that makes me doubt this is how quickly Canon incorporates firmware updates into the supply chain. Canon seems to be quite good at getting updated firmware into bodies, which would be very expensive, if even possible, if you had a million bodies sitting around waiting to be shipped. Manufacturing processes have changed dramatically since 1985, with very few companies keeping large stocks of inventory on hand these days. Most companies prefer to keep inventory to a minimum and instead rely on supply chain efficiencies.

Canon usually does not announce firmware updates until after they've already started showing up in cameras coming back from cps factory service, which means the firmware updates exist well before they are publicly disclosed. Maybe Canon doesn't announce firmware updates until the cameras they've been putting the new firmware in make their way through the pipeline? Maybe one reason that they don't seal retail boxes is so dealers can update firmware of bodies they have already had in inventory for months? Maybe that's why the recent FTP updates were staggered over several weeks for different models?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
First things first: Canon is concerned with yen, not dollars...
...$2.4B in unsold inventory of a brand new product is not a cash flow problem for such a company.

People say this all the time. But it isn't true. Canon is a multinational company. They may report income in yen, but they are buying and selling in thousands of local currencies. Canon USA employees don't get paid in yen, nor do Canon Europe employees. Shipping companies don't get paid in yen. The companies printing boxes and manuals and other suppliers from outside of Japan aren't being paid in yen. The bulk of expenses and income is not in yen. No doubt all these transactions are computerized and the various exchange rates accounted for, but to say Canon is only concerned with yen is just silly.

If you think $2.4 Billion in unsold inventory is not a problem, you don't know much about business. In this day and age, no company wants to sit on any more inventory than they absolutely have to.

...Maybe one reason that they don't seal retail boxes is so dealers can update firmware of bodies they have already had in inventory for months? Maybe that's why the recent FTP updates were staggered over several weeks for different models?

Are you suggesting that Canon tells Adorama to open all their boxes, unpackage all the cameras, sit at a computer and update the firmware and then neatly repackage each body? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
people seem to forget what the whole point of a DX3 is all about.
that is to get images to the editors desk QUICK.
R5, 5D4, Sony, can not do that.
they are not competing with the DX3.
the DX3 is competing with the PJ who is standing next to him/her, also shooting with a DX3

What makes you believe that 5DIV cannot get images to the editors desk QUICK? There is about 20-30sec delay when you shoot tethered via wifi.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

I'm going to engage in pure uneducated speculation here: What if all they do in advance is put the hardware together?

As they receive orders, they load the latest and greatest firmware, then they stick the camera in the box and ship it.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
People say this all the time. But it isn't true. Canon is a multinational company. They may report income in yen, but they are buying and selling in thousands of local currencies. Canon USA employees don't get paid in yen, nor do Canon Europe employees. Shipping companies don't get paid in yen. The companies printing boxes and manuals and other suppliers from outside of Japan aren't being paid in yen. The bulk of expenses and income is not in yen. No doubt all these transactions are computerized and the various exchange rates accounted for, but to say Canon is only concerned with yen is just silly.

If you think $2.4 Billion in unsold inventory is not a problem, you don't know much about business. In this day and age, no company wants to sit on any more inventory than they absolutely have to.

Are you suggesting that Canon tells Adorama to open all their boxes, unpackage all the cameras, sit at a computer and update the firmware and then neatly repackage each body? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

Well, I have talked to employees of smaller versions of "Adorama" (i.e authorized Canon dealers) who have done just that, although they likely unbox them one at a time, update it, remove the memory card with the update on it and the DC coupler attached to an AC adapter, rebox the camera, then unbox the next one, insert the memory card and DC coupler...

Last edited:
Upvote 0