The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Why would mechanical shutter be used more than an electronic one? Isn’t mechanical largely for flash photography or in old school lighting?

Most electronic shutters (almost certainly including the one in the R5) have rolling shutter artifacts. Generally mechanical shooting is preferred for any sort of quick action.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
While it is true that the price difference between UHS-ll and CFExpress is not that extreme, a camera that utilizes UHS-ll is backwards compatible and can use UHS-l when speed is not an issue. With CFExpress that is not the case. Since most folks (myself included) feel that multiple cards are required for piece of mind, it adds up to mucho dinero. In the future when more devices use both formats more frequently, economy of scale will kick in and prices will lower. But for now, ouch!
Why buying a high speed supported camera if you want to use slow card on it ? Assuming R5 will do 20fps no crop, a 45mp file is ~40MB, 40x20 = 800MB/s, it’s a huge data rate, and from experiences from using A7RIII, I know the annoying feeling when have to wait for clearing buffer, as A7RIII have only 1 uhs-ii slot, dual recording on A7RIII is so slow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Why buying a high speed supported camera if you want to use slow card on it ? Assuming R5 will do 20fps no crop, a 45mp file is ~40MB, 40x20 = 800MB/s, it’s a huge data rate, and from experiences from using A7RIII, I know the annoying feeling when have to wait for clearing buffer, as A7RIII have only 1 uhs-ii slot, dual recording on A7RIII is so slow.
Some people may not ever use the high fps. Some may buy the camera for other reasons (megapixels, etc.). Only people who need the high fps and video need the fast cards. For 12 fps mechanical shutter, a slower and less expensive card is perfectly adequate. Even with my R, I never use the continuous mode. If I were to buy the R5 it would be for the megapixels only. Would I buy a CFexpress card and UHS II card? Yes, but they would not have to be the top line cards, just something to fill the slots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I do no video at all. Wasted tech on me. So all the discussion about the two card slots is pretty much academic despite exact one situation.

You are on travel, no camera shop near, no chance to mailorder something. Your CFExpress cards are full, no backup possible. That SD slot right there is your lifesaver. I shot with a crappy microSD card in an SD Adapter because that was the thing I can get in every mobile phone shop around the corner. Yes, slow but I was still able to shot.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
IMO, this issue is overblown.
Yes, I agree, the issue is overblown for most practical purposes. If the buffer is large enough and you are willing to invest heavily in the very fastes SDcards, noone will almost ever notice.

But, Canon could easily have done better (assuming this rumour is right).

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yes, I agree, the issue is overblown for most practical purposes. If the buffer is large enough and you are willing to invest heavily in the very fastes SDcards, noone will almost ever notice.

Panties in a bunch all over the forum over a camera body shell in an acrylic case at WPPI. We don't know enough for all this boiling blood.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017

I think its open for discussion if many users would think 2 CFE slots would have been better. Its obvious the technologicaly mroe advantaged option (and I would have prefered it by a bit) - but in a practical world its quite nice to be able to use cheap SD cards and not being forced to invest 1000$ in new CFE cards right away. This could be seen as an advantage by many.
Anyway, I dont think its much of a topic, its gonna perform great in 99% of the use cases, no matter what card =)

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
A $1000 for a 256gb is why I’m glad they include an SD port also.
Do you buy your cards on Rodeo Drive?

they are down to 150 nowadays.
whereas the very fastest SD-cards are much more expensive. So, I'm glad there is a CFexpress slot.
Do you buy your cards from a guy in a van at Walmart?

Extreme Pro 256GB are $400 @ B&H

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I rarely shoot in HS Continuous, and if I need to, I'll just turn off the write to SD in the menu. For the other 98% of my shooting, UHS-l would do. UHS-ll is overkill. YMMV

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Maybe shipping and vat to Europe or the UK (I have an English friend that is adamant that the UK is not Europe) makes B&H not an option for him. Pricing in Europe is probably different than the USA.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

My quote was for a Sandisk 1700/1200. For comparison a brand new R is $2500 as of now. FWIW my lowest ever paid job was $16 pr hour working retail. Average pay for a year is $60.000 here and $49000 in the US, so not crazy difference.
We pay 25% VAT on everything also. And average 25-30% tax on our salary. So it’s not that it’s just crazy expensive here, although it feels like it :p

my son needs a hearing aid, I just checked the price without insurance in the US, $50.000, he gets it for free, zip, zero, nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
And a decent strap. For nearly $4k I expect a nice, wide, soft Italian leather strap from a boutique on Rodeo Drive.

You mean one of those poser guitar belts that scream "steal me" from miles away already?

I have been seen buying cameras from the 80ies to harvest some
of those stealthy narrow nylon straps with rubber shoulder pieces
that shipped with AE-1 and A-1.

Upvote 0
Do you think there's a chance we'll see an extension grip for the R5 as the RP has the EG-E1? Thanks.
I think you'll see a battery grip. They never made a first party extension grip for the R. But of course I have giant meat mits and the R doesn't need an extension grip like the RP.

Upvote 0