The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I don't think this is totally accurate. It sounds like you are assuming raw to both cards, which I don't know why you would do that. If you shoot raw to the fast card and JPEG to the small card it shouldn't impact the buffer significantly should it?
It will throttled back to write a the slower speed which would be a waste of the CFexpress 1gbs speed. One would only write to the CFexpress with the SD empty. Or else 2 SD cards.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Say what?
If you are shooting the camera at full speed and want a backup you are out of luck with that SD card slowing things down. We don’t know exactly how bad it’ll limit the camera, but surely it has to in spme way given ho many pixels it is pushing. If on the other hand you are under 10 frames a minute at a wedding or the lik, it won’t effect you in the slightest.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
First off...there is a limitation even in your statement: jpeg to the second card slot. And maybe I am just a jaded former owner of the 5DIII (overall I loved it, but I hated the SD card slot), but I tried jpeg to the SD (UHS I?) card slot but eventually would just turn off that card slot whenever I wanted to truly get all those lightning fast 6 fps.

But, to better respond, I've gone and looked up write speeds to UHS II cards....seems like most of the "fastest" UHS II cards have "up to" 200 to 260 MB/sec write speeds in this article on fastest cards from B&H. A few quick searches on regular (but still Lexar, Sandisk and still UHS II) and I saw 120 MB/sec and 160/sec go by. (EDIT--just looked at my own SD cards that I have "around"...Sandisk Extreme Pros from a couple years go --95 MB/sec...). As I actually shoot RAW to the CF card and jpegs to my SD card in my 5DIV, I just popped out my SD card and looked at a few of the jpeg file size. The low ISO shots were 5-7 MB and the high ISO shots were 13-15 MB. Scale that up to a larger sensor rumored to being in the R5, I am going with 9 MB/sec low end and 21 MB/sec high end (45/30 x 6 and x 14).

So, 12 fps x 9 MB = 108 MB/sec, 21 MB/sec x 12 fps = 252 MB/sec. But then, jump to the 20 fps and you get 180 MB/sec and 420 MB/sec. Bottom line, some of these will require buffering, even with jpegs. This isn't the end of the world. Actually, fast cards paired with even a moderate buffer are still going to be pretty impressive and just fine for most applications.

But, there is a reason the 1DX III has dual CF Express card slots. This is not that.
with two different speed slots in use, the max write speed will be that of the slower card.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Experienced and level-headed photographers never forget that photography, of all the crafts and all the hobbies, is built on compromises. Are the two cards a PERFECT match in terms of performance? Of course not. Will the SD slot be useful when that nagging need for a backup possesses us, should we fear the newer CFE tech might fail? (Or the other way, slight as chances are?) Yes!

If pure speed is the priority, Canon has delivered. If backup is the priority, Canon has delivered. If saving a little money during the learning phase with this camera while waiting for CFE prices to come down is important, Canon has delivered.

If finding anything to moan and groan about is your joy in life, then, once again, Canon has delivered!

Had Canon used dual CFE slots, we'd hear how it has put the camera out of the reach of the common people (who can afford the body and a quiver of lenses, but not two CFE cards).

Go, Canon, go!

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Question will be. Has Canon chaged its write speed priority? Max write speed to the slower card? Thus one only benefits from the 1GBS write bus if using the CFexpress slot and leaving slot 2 empty

Yeah, it's almost like Canon is giving us a choice in how we want to shoot while keeping the cost below a 1DX Mark III. Weird.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Because with the slower SD installed and the CFexpress also, max speed equals to that of the slower card. One will never get dual CFexpress bus speed. Thus one would have to remove the SD card for that CFexpress bus speed
If I purchased a CFexpress card, I would use it and leave the other slot empty else use 2 SDHC cards

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
The 1DxIII has two slots so I would not expect a downgrade.
What downgrade? The R5 won't be the mirrorless equivalent of the 1Dx MkIII! For pictures, the SD UHS-II will be just fine in at least 95% of the cases. I understand that for video at 8K or 4K 60p it will likely not suffice, but personally, I'm happy that it will have both cards format.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
$197 at Best Buy for 128 gb

Wait a minute, here! You're comparing the price of a CFexpress card in american dollars to the prices of SD cards in canadian dollars…

By the way, Prograde is selling their CFexpress 120 gb cards for 180 US$ and their fastest 128 gb SD cards for 160 US$.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Sounds great, double CFExpress would be really expensive for users
Why purchase a CFexpress card and use it with an SD card in the second slot. You lose the advantage. A waste of money. The CFexpress has only an advantage when using it alone. The write speed is always equal to that of the slower card.

Upvote 0