The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
As I actually shoot RAW to the CF card and jpegs to my SD card in my 5DIV, I just popped out my SD card and looked at a few of the jpeg file size. The low ISO shots were 5-7 MB and the high ISO shots were 13-15 MB. Scale that up to a larger sensor rumored to being in the R5, I am going with 9 MB/sec low end and 21 MB/sec high end (45/30 x 6 and x 14).

So, 12 fps x 9 MB = 108 MB/sec, 21 MB/sec x 12 fps = 252 MB/sec. But then, jump to the 20 fps and you get 180 MB/sec and 420 MB/sec. Bottom line, some of these will require buffering, even with jpegs. This isn't the end of the world. Actually, fast cards paired with even a moderate buffer are still going to be pretty impressive and just fine for most applications.

Right now, I'm more interested in HEIF files. If there are added benefits over JPEG and smaller file sizes, I might be shooting RAW/HEIF on the R5. Any idea how HEIF file sizes compare to JPEG? (I'm still betting the 20FPS is going to be JPEG or HEIF only).

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Right now, I'm more interested in HEIF files. If there are added benefits over JPEG and smaller file sizes, I might be shooting RAW/HEIF on the R5. Any idea how HEIF file sizes compare to JPEG? (I'm still betting the 20FPS is going to be JPEG or HEIF only).

Please explain: "(I'm still betting the 20FPS is going to be JPEG or HEIF only)"
JPEG and cr3 on the R is hardly different in size. While JPEG needs to be encoded, cr3 doesn't ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
Experienced and level-headed photographers never forget that photography, of all the crafts and all the hobbies, is built on compromises. Are the two cards a PERFECT match in terms of performance? Of course not. Will the SD slot be useful when that nagging need for a backup possesses us, should we fear the newer CFE tech might fail? (Or the other way, slight as chances are?) Yes!

If pure speed is the priority, Canon has delivered. If backup is the priority, Canon has delivered. If saving a little money during the learning phase with this camera while waiting for CFE prices to come down is important, Canon has delivered.

If finding anything to moan and groan about is your joy in life, then, once again, Canon has delivered!

Had Canon used dual CFE slots, we'd hear how it has put the camera out of the reach of the common people (who can afford the body and a quiver of lenses, but not two CFE cards).

Go, Canon, go!
You have it exactly right. Somebody will be complaining no matter what construction Canon offers. What I've seen of the R5 so far pleases me a lot.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Really??? The price of the R5 and a couple new lenses is going to be more than $10,000.00! Who cares about a few bucks difference in card formats...
If the guessed average cost of the body is 3499 and two lenses (which is a couple unless you have been frequenting some saucy MMF's) that comes to about 1500-3500 + cards (SD + CFE) at 250. I get 7249 and that's probably high. Especially if one of your RF lenses is the 35.

But this is a useless debate as 'We don't know jack'.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I don't think this is totally accurate. It sounds like you are assuming raw to both cards, which I don't know why you would do that. If you shoot raw to the fast card and JPEG to the small card it shouldn't impact the buffer significantly should it?
For me, the only use of 2 cards is to shoot the same data on both cards. Insurance against card failure. I have been burnt before and will work only with cameras with 2 card slots and record identical information on both. I learn lessons and do not repeat my mistakes.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Please explain: "(I'm still betting the 20FPS is going to be JPEG or HEIF only)"
JPEG and cr3 on the R is hardly different in size. While JPEG needs to be encoded, cr3 doesn't ...
Wow! Really? My 5d4 CR2 RAW files average around 30-70 mb each (DPRAW), whereas their JPEG counterparts range from 5-15 mb. My EOS R CR3 RAWs average around 30-35 and their JPEGs 7-9 mb. I'm not familiar enough with HEIF files, but I'm interested in seeing what kind of file sizes we might get for 45 megapixel images.

When it comes to Canon specs, there are usually some caveats. I'm just trying to imagine what they will be. 20 FPS RAW sounds better than a best case scenario. I won't be too surprised if the asterisk is that it is for a compressed file mode. I'm not claiming to have any special knowledge or understanding though, so I could be (and hopefully am) wrong.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
This decision by Canon demonstrates where they place the camera. It is not their 'professional camera'. Which is good news, as they are going to give us their top of the line in the future. Soon I hope.
Please do not pounce on me on the word 'professional'. This camera has great specs for professional work, but Canon will come up with even something better.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Wow! Really? My 5d4 CR2 RAW files average around 30-70 mb each (DPRAW), whereas their JPEG counterparts range from 5-15 mb. My EOS R CR3 RAWs average around 30-35 and their JPEGs 7-9 mb. I'm not familiar enough with HEIF files, but I'm interested in seeing what kind of file sizes we might get for 45 megapixel images.

When it comes to Canon specs, there are usually some caveats. I'm just trying to imagine what they will be. 20 FPS RAW sounds better than a best case scenario. I won't be too surprised if the asterisk is that it is for a compressed file mode. I'm not claiming to have any special knowledge or understanding though, so I could be (and hopefully am) wrong.

Yes, many of my JPEGs are 25MB while CR3s are in the low 30s ...

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Two things.

1 - I know I want this camera and I'm probably going to order about three and a half seconds after I find out it's available...

AND

2 - Oh cripes my hopes of $3,500 are circling the bottom of the crapper...
Me too. Will pre-order. You will get it before me as I may take 5 and a half second.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So you'll probably give up a bit of speed when using the SD UHS-II compared to the CFExpress, but that's still a pretty doggone fast card.

I would suspect that it would be backwards compatible with UHS-I SD cards as well, albeit at a more reduced buffer clearing speed.
UHS-II slots by definition are backwards compatible. You just get UHS-I speeds with UHS-I cards.

Upvote 0