The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

D

Deleted member 381342

I looked up the specs, UHS-II can theoretically go up to 312 MB/s (half duplex, i.e. read or write).

CFExpress currently come in 1GB/s, 2GB/s, and 4GB/s max theoretical speeds. Type A are sized with SD cards and should be happy at 1GB/s. The R5 seems to be getting the common type B card format which currently supports up to 2 GB/s. SD express and CFE Type A may end up being the same thing, but that is pure speculation on my part.

And back OT, the slow SD card is not a backup for some shooters but is perfectly fine for others. Something had to give on this camera, giving us 12/20 FPS was too good to be true for sports and wildlife. So for those disappointed in the SD slot like myself, I invite you to look forward to the R1 and whatever big whites will be launched with it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
And back OT, the slow SD card is not a backup for some shooters but is perfectly fine for others. Something had to give on this camera, giving us 12/20 FPS was too good to be true for sports and wildlife. So for those disappointed in the SD slot like myself, I invite you to look forward to the R1 and whatever big whites will be launched with it.
That's a good summary on this.

With dual CFexpress they would have had to give it the same unlimited burst shooting as the 1DX III and maybe the folks who think the R5 will cost upwards of 5k a reason to do so. Although who knows, they could write to the fast card and copy the files to the SD in the background between bursts. But I doubt they will, this is Canon after all.

And we don't know just how much cheaper it is for Canon to use the SD slot. The way it is now, the R5 looks like a thing that can be picked up by an existing EF user without no extra costs beyond the body.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
C-Fast failed. In Jerusalem. I was shooting an assignment on 1dx2. I realized at 4 pm that the card was not working. I was to film the next day. You have no idea how I managed to get a replacement.

I have no idea how in the world you went on a job with just one
single card - which would be much more dramatic to me than
a single slot!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

Actually, it may give us 12/20 FPS for sports and wildlife, but maybe not with a back up. A lot of overwrought speculation about stuff that we are not sure about. In any case, it is all crying over spilt milk. The R5 is not going to have two CF Express card slots, and it bothers some of us more than others.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Actually, it may give us 12/20 FPS for sports and wildlife, but maybe not with a back up. A lot of overwrought speculation about stuff that we are not sure about. In any case, it is all crying over spilt milk. The R5 is not going to have two CF Express card slots, and it bothers some of us more than others.

Camera will be perfectly fine for wildlife! What can bother in not having 2 cfexpress is about video recording and need to use 2 different media. I am not a fan of it. Never liked in the !dxmkII, I will not like now. But I understand Canon´s choice. And it´s not a dealbreaker to me. At all!

A little bit off topic, but i keep thinking in the EOS R6. So at the point, we have a registered camera (the EOS R5), we have a development announcement and the camera is going to hit the streets in July. But no words on the EOS R6 that supposedly will come in June prior to the EOS R5?? Nothing about the EOS R6?
I am on a big decision here...Should I pair the 1dxmkiii with the eos r5 or go full to the R sistem? One thing is for sure...2020 is going to be a hell of a year to my wallet!!! :D :D :D

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]. Although who knows, they could write to the fast card and copy the files to the SD in the background between bursts. But I doubt they will, this is Canon after all.
[..]

A deep buffer means lots and lots of RAM, which is both expensive and power hungry. I would guess that Canon reduced the amount of RAM to make it cheaper and last longer on a single charge. So the in-memory conversion of RAW to jpeg/heif would slow down things a lot. A way around this would be to generate the jpg/heif images from the RAW files after they are stored on the CFe. That wouldn't impact burst speed, but it would make people with card-failure fears a bit twitchy.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
JPEG and cr3 on the R is hardly different in size. While JPEG needs to be encoded, cr3 doesn't ...
Yes, many of my JPEGs are 25MB while CR3s are in the low 30s ...
I've never experienced my 5D4 JPEGs being more than 25% of its corresponding RAW file's size, and the EOS R JPEGs I have are roughly 30% of their corresponding CR3 files. My JPEGS are always set to the highest quality setting. I don't see how you're getting JPEGs that are 75% or more of their corresponding RAW file.

Can anyone else confirm this? The only time I remember seeing JPEGs comparable in size to RAW is if the JPEG was created later in camera or in software on the computer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If you are shooting the camera at full speed and want a backup you are out of luck with that SD card slowing things down. We don’t know exactly how bad it’ll limit the camera, but surely it has to in spme way given ho many pixels it is pushing. If on the other hand you are under 10 frames a minute at a wedding or the lik, it won’t effect you in the slightest.

++++ We don’t know exactly how bad it’ll limit the camera, but surely...

A.M.: But surely, we don't know exactly how bad.. so... modern UHS-II SD card read write speed is : ≤ 312 MB/s
with average RAW file at around 45-55Mb per file, it would take around 0.25 second to write. so.. 4 frames per second. not 10 per minute..
Still feel that this is a useless solution?

Upvote 0
I've never experienced my 5D4 JPEGs being more than 25% of its corresponding RAW file's size, and the EOS R JPEGs I have are roughly 30% of their corresponding CR3 files. My JPEGS are always set to the highest quality setting. I don't see how you're getting JPEGs that are 75% or more of their corresponding RAW file.

Can anyone else confirm this? The only time I remember seeing JPEGs comparable in size to RAW is if I created the JPEG later in camera or in software on the computer.

I haven't seen that too but maybe you can tweak the picture styles to do that for you: High sharpening, high contrast, high color saturation that combined with highly detailed stuff - sand, crops, forests without sky might push jpeg to its limits of compression: Each pixel is different from the other and hence you have Imagesize ~ Number of pixels x 1 Byte.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

++++ We don’t know exactly how bad it’ll limit the camera, but surely...

A.M.: But surely, we don't know exactly how bad.. so... modern UHS-II SD card read write speed is : ≤ 312 MB/s
with average RAW file at around 45-55Mb per file, it would take around 0.25 second to write. so.. 4 frames per second. not 10 per minute..
Still feel that this is a useless solution?

People needing to push 12 - 20 FPS for hundreds of frames are affected. People shooting 10 frames a minute are not affected. So yes, to the extreme I am on it is useless, to someone that sets up a landscape at 1 frame a hour its not going to effect them, and wedding photographers don't spray ether so they wont be affected in the slightest. Regardless, its likely I am waiting for a R1, and there aren't any lenses available for me on the R system yet.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
20fps with probably 60mb - 1,2gb/s
This can be written without any buffering to the CFE card. But it means constant buffering and lags on a SD card.

do you shoot regularly @20 fps,
People needing to push 12 - 20 FPS for hundreds of frames are affected. People shooting 10 frames a minute are not affected. So yes, to the extreme I am on it is useless, to someone that sets up a landscape at 1 frame a hour its not going to effect them, and wedding photographers don't spray ether so they wont be affected in the slightest. Regardless, its likely I am waiting for a R1, and there aren't any lenses available for me on the R system yet.

can you please fix your maths there? thank you. with 4 frames per seconds you are up to 240 frames per minute. not 10 frames per minute. big difference.
and when you need 20 fps, for a short while or for hi res video - switch to a single card writing. this is far from being useless. let's admit and move on.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
My maths is fine, thanks! And I don't think a a landscape photographer will need to take 240 frames in a minute.
You said: People shooting 10 frames a minute are not affected.

A.M.: said: People shooting 240 frames per minute are no affected.

both statements are correct, however you implied a limitation of not be able to shoot at faster than 10 frames per minute. Which is way less than 240 per min.

++++ I don't think a a landscape photographer will need to take 240 frames in a minute.

A.M. : you are obviously correct :)
so, Landscape, portraiture, events, weddings, concerts, real estate, architectural, interior, product photography and macro - are unaffected.
fast action (wildlife, sports, surf, BIF) - short bursts or switch to writing to a single card... alternatively, 1D body is the king.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

both statements are correct, however you implied a limitation of not be able to shoot at faster than 10 frames per minute. Which is way less than 240 per min.

An implication of any modern camera being limited to 10FP/m would be illogical. I was describing shooting styles. And aye, a 1D body seems to be the way to go. There are no RF lenses for serious wildlife out nor announced(The 100-500 will be good for walking about, but it's not a big white).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You tickle my funny bone.
You'll wait on the R1, which will have significantly less mega pixels, because of the media card. Obviously resolution is less important to you than cards. Also, there are no lenses for you yet. So why all the vitriolic angst over the media card setup when this: 1. Obviously isn't the camera you want. 2. No lenses you want are yet available anyway? It's about like watching an unsuspecting guy knock over a bee hive, then flailing about in a clover field. Entertaining as hell.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

You'll wait on the R1, which will have significantly less mega pixels, because of the media card. Obviously resolution is less important to you than cards. Also, there are no lenses for you yet. So why all the vitriolic angst over the media card setup when this: 1. Obviously isn't the camera you want. 2. No lenses you want are yet available anyway? It's about like watching an unsuspecting guy knock over a bee hive, then flailing about in a clover field. Entertaining as hell.

20MP will be enough, even with the 18MP I had on the 7d I never . The R5 was/is tempting due to its burst, but for my wants i was looking at is a possible alternative to the 1d3. The end goal is a 200-400 and/or 600mm f/4, with the best body I can attach it too. I am willing to wait for RF versions of these, and if the R5 is good enough it could serve as a backup body.

My goals are clear and right in the open. The reported R5 specs are 99% of the way there, but if I buy it I know it is a single slot camera for my needs and I need to see its grip too.

The decision for me will be made in about 18 months, might even stay on EF. It’s not like i am going to replace the lens or body I buy for a decade later.

Upvote 0
That analogy is entertaining

Upvote 0