The Canon EOS R5 will have an SD & CFExpress slot [CR2]

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
(So lemme just take a quick second and review my internal conversation)

R5 Camera body (just say it Bob) $4K

100-500L (yes, it's a turd on the long end at 7.1 but you know you're going to buy it anyway) $3K

RF 1.4X (because 560 isn't enough now and the 500mm F4 is too big) $500

CFE 512 GB (because if there is anything within an arm's reach that is faster than what you have now you'll buy it) $600

Jeebus. A million here and a million there and pretty soon we're talking about serious money.

:p:p:p:p:p

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Be happy Canon did not add 2 SD UHS-II cards like Sony did (One of the reason I haven't bought the A7r4 yet, obviosly the second reason is EOS R5). Personally I would have liked dual CFExpress cards but I was expecting this to be CFExpress and SD UHS-II. I just did a comparison in B&H website on the price between 256 GB SD UHS-II cards and 256GB CFE cards. I found that if someone is going to buy a 256GB SD UHS-II V90 rated cards the price difference is not that much. But one were to compare 256GB SD UHS-II V60 Vs 256BG CF cards then the SD cards are less than half the price. My theory is that the more a memory card format is being used more manufacturers will jump to make that format which will increase competition and bring down the price.

I was going to buy A7R4 and then the R5 rumors and announcement came out. So changed my mind to wait for the release of R5. Depends on at what level Canon' cripple hammer is at play I will buy one of these cameras. I have EF lenses, E mount lenses and RF lenses as well. I guess I will continue to shoot both Canon and Sony systems.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Believe me, if there were no SD slot there would be people complaining over that too. I get that not everyone can be pleased, but there comes a point where the complaints are over wrought outrage for the sake of outrage. If I were to buy an R5 (huge if) I wouldn't be happy that I had to spend on a CFE card, but I wouldn't be crying on the forum about it page after page. It's the same mental hysteria that gives us the volumes and technical arguments over 1/2 stop of DR. 3,2,1...
I agree, sometimes I wonder why people post as it seems the comments are there just to make a comment and are not really thought through. Canon make their decisions based on sound research and feedback from customers. What will be will be lol

Upvote 0
Only interested in animals. Weddings would not even remotely pay enough money to be worth it, major respect to anyone that has the patients to photograph a wedding.
Not quite sure I follow this? I get that it depends what you charge for a wedding, but around me, the better gals/guys are at £3-6k per wedding, and booked most weekends, and even some mid-weeks too. (Seasonality still plays own a bit, but 'off-season' weddings are increasingly popular too). Not sure what wildlife photography pays you upwards of £250k a year (gross)? (But interested to find out :) )

• Haha
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Not quite sure I follow this? I get that it depends what you charge for a wedding, but around me, the better gals/guys are at £3-6k per wedding, and booked most weekends, and even some mid-weeks too. (Seasonality still plays own a bit, but 'off-season' weddings are increasingly popular too). Not sure what wildlife photography pays you upwards of £250k a year (gross)? (But interested to find out :) )
Wildlife is a hobby. The three weddings I did do where such a hassle, the first one the groom died a month later. Compared to my day job and even product photography, it was just way to much work and stress with very little reward. I earn a £75k a year as a programmer and £15k on a good year for photography. It would be interesting to build up photography as a business, but I wont be pushed into the stress of doing a wedding again.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I agree, sometimes I wonder why people post as it seems the comments are there just to make a comment and are not really thought through. Canon make their decisions based on sound research and feedback from customers. What will be will be lol
I post here because this is my social life. In other words, I have no life outside of CR. :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Wildlife is a hobby. The three weddings I did do where such a hassle, the first one the groom died a month later. Compared to my day job and even product photography, it was just way to much work and stress with very little reward. I earn a £75k a year as a programmer and £15k on a good year for photography. It would be interesting to build up photography as a business, but I wont be pushed into the stress of doing a wedding again.
Aah, gotcha.

And I wouldn't disagree - I don't do weddings myself (well, done about three in my whole professional career - as 'favours for mates' type things - having been requested rather than volunteering): they don't do it for me either, and I agree with the stress levels.

The pro wedding-photogs I know though get turned on by the buzz/stress of it, in the main, and probably wouldn't do anything else. They also can turn in a pretty penny - if you are good at it and build your contacts, it can be seriously good business.

Wildlife on the other hand is much more pleasant, and what I also do as a way of getting away from the 'day' job. Good luck and happy hunting!

Cheers

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Just one last bit before I head out for the day...but we've been talking about the theoretical speeds, just also pointing out, theory almost never holds up...here are some tests of UHS-II with the EOS-R. Write speeds maxed out at ~180 MB/sec.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I think Canon has done the right thing.
A UHS II card can easily record 450mb/sec on my R.
Forcing people to buy 2 CFExpress cards for their new camera would hold some people back from buying as they are expensive.
Absolutely Amazing! Specially since read speed on UHS II maxes out at 300 mb/sec and write speeds are always lower. Hypothetical max transfer speed on UHS II is 312 mb/sec. Your Canon R must have been sprinkled with some magic Pixy Dust!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yet you have more sense than most.
Hold off on that. I've not seen an R5 yet and my R isn't a year old. I'll probably rent an R5 around Christmas if Mrs. Claus thinks I am worthy. Once that happens, common sense will probably not exist. Mrs. Claus wants out of the apartment and into a house. Maybe she'll believe the oft told story that I need another piece of gear to start making money at it......... NAH!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Hold off on that. I've not seen an R5 yet and my R isn't a year old. I'll probably rent an R5 around Christmas if Mrs. Claus thinks I am worthy. Once that happens, common sense will probably not exist. Mrs. Claus wants out of the apartment and into a house. Maybe she'll believe the oft told story that I need another piece of gear to start making money at it......... NAH!
See you DO have sense because you include her in the process unlike these guys who hide gold clubs, lenses, new carbon bike wheelsets and anything unlike a boat from the spouse.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
See you DO have sense because you include her in the process unlike these guys who hide gold clubs, lenses, new carbon bike wheelsets and anything unlike a boat from the spouse.
After 37 years it is impossible to hide anything. It would be a fruitless pursuit, my friend. She knows before I know. :cry:

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Is the cfexpress slot backward compatible with sd cards?
Nope.
I have no idea how in the world you went on a job with just one
single card - which would be much more dramatic to me than
a single slot!
Are you so assumptions with everything in life? I had more cards but did not want to shoot with just one card. And what about my second body which was to shoot at another location?

Upvote 0