The Canon EOS Ra has been discontinued

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
This one shouldn’t come as a shock, but production of the Canon EOS Ra has ceased and it has been officially discontinued according to a couple of sources. One source has said production of the Canon EOS R has also ended, but that inventory will exist for quite some time.
I have no idea how many of these astro-focused cameras Canon sells, but after releasing a few of them, it must be worth doing. If Canon does another astrophotography camera, I would think it would be an EOS R5a in a couple of years.

Continue reading...

Not surprising, it was removed from most sellers websites over half a year ago.

"If Canon does another astrophotography camera, I would think it would be an EOS R5a in a couple of years."
R6a would make much more sense. The resolution of the Ra is already borderline too high for astrophotography. Unless it's aimed at those shooting wide angle starsscapes with tracker.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
If the EOS R has also ceased production, that surely gives a strong hint about the rumoured new R series body for early next year? There have been other rumours about a <$1000 body, meaning maybe the RP (if it continues for a while) and that cheaper body take over the lower $ end, and those who want more MP are pushed up to the R5?

Upvote 0
This makes absolute sense to me. Canon discontinued the R and therefore has to discontinue the Ra because they share the exact same ergonomics. If they kept producing just the Ra the cost would rise tremendously because of the small numbers they produce. Knowing canon, they produced a large badge of Ra which they’ll sell within the next three years and have the camera available at specialty camera stores. The EOS 600d Astro was available as a “new” purchase in Germany for a long time and it disappeared just months before the Ra hit the shelves.
I expect Canon to release a “R6 mkII A” in 2024/2025. The R6 has better low light capabilities and more importantly a transformed R5 would raise the price for a speciality camera tremendously which would hurt the already low sales numbers. You can’t sell an R5 for 4.500 € and then offer a 2.500 - 3.000 € Astro camera with the same ergonomics. The R6 being at around 2.500 € is a better fit.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

Please note that Canons Astro-Version "Ra" of the R-body shows strong halos around brighter stars! (Even without any filter) We highly recommend NOT to get a Ra!

I think since then there were some clip filters that mitigate this problem but it shouldn't be there in the first place.

So in my opinion it will not be missed...

Upvote 0
This makes absolute sense to me. Canon discontinued the R and therefore has to discontinue the Ra because they share the exact same ergonomics. If they kept producing just the Ra the cost would rise tremendously because of the small numbers they produce. Knowing canon, they produced a large badge of Ra which they’ll sell within the next three years and have the camera available at specialty camera stores. The EOS 600d Astro was available as a “new” purchase in Germany for a long time and it disappeared just months before the Ra hit the shelves.
I expect Canon to release a “R6 mkII A” in 2024/2025. The R6 has better low light capabilities and more importantly a transformed R5 would raise the price for a speciality camera tremendously which would hurt the already low sales numbers. You can’t sell an R5 for 4.500 € and then offer a 2.500 - 3.000 € Astro camera with the same ergonomics. The R6 being at around 2.500 € is a better fit.
Since when did the eos r get discontinued?

Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
What about the 5D IV? With all the hardware it shares with the R, I could see this new meaning that it'll be the next one to go.
other than the image sensor, what does the R have in common with the 5d4? i think i read that even the image sensor microlenses were different to accomodate the shorter back focus distance featured by the R system. I do wonder how many 5d4's and 5d4 image sensors they have in storage. Are 5d4's still being manufactured?

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
other than the image sensor, what does the R have in common with the 5d4? i think i read that even the image sensor microlenses were different to accomodate the shorter back focus distance featured by the R system. I do wonder how many 5d4's and 5d4 image sensors they have in storage. Are 5d4's still being manufactured?
Canon should get an award for out much they milked that sensor and processor combo.

Upvote 0