The Canon RF 600mm f/11 IS STM and RF 800mm f/11 IS STM were inspired by lenses from the 1960’s

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It was just a good example that came to my mind to illustrate the point. Of course it is understandable why the term is used.

But similarly, with television meaning something like vision over a distance and telecommunications meaning something like communicating over a distance, I really don't see any issue in the fact that Tele-photo has become a term used to mean something that allows photographing things in the distance, despite having a scientific definition that sais something else.
It's becoming rather teleological.

• Haha
Reactions: Joules and SteveC

mdmphoto

EOS 90D
CR Pro
Feb 20, 2013
www.mmcreynolds.com
Nice shots. On the first one, I'd advice to keep the distortion corrections turned off, as it shows a really unnatural pattern in the noise of the background.
Thanks for your response and suggestion: I suspect the finished product has more to do with my image-processing shortcomings. Certain ISOs, in particular, seem to challenge my abilities more than other, - even higher, ones, one way or another, but I will continue to research, practice, and endeavor to persevere....

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It was just a good example that came to my mind to illustrate the point. Of course it is understandable why the term is used.

But similarly, with television meaning something like vision over a distance and telecommunications meaning something like communicating over a distance, I really don't see any issue in the fact that Tele-photo has become a term used to mean something that allows photographing things in the distance, despite having a scientific definition that sais something else.
I agree with you. The technical definition of a telephoto lens is one whose physical length is shorter than its optical length. But, the intuitive meaning based on our common experience with language is a lens that is used to see far off objects or at a distance - the classical Greek "tele" means "far off", or "at a distance". Languages evolve to become simplified so the largest number understand words. I hate jargon and far prefer words or phrases that clearly describe matters.