The Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM has been delayed until early March 2021

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last week I reported that the RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM would be delayed until January 2021 based on retailer notifications, now it appears that Canon has delayed the lens until early March due to production challenges.
From Canon: (Google Translated)

Regarding the “RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM” announced on November 4, 2020, and scheduled to be released in late December, due to production reasons, we cannot prepare a sufficient supply amount for the release. Therefore, we have decided to postpone the release in early March 2021.
We would like to inform you and deeply apologize.

Scheduled release date

(Before change) Scheduled to be released in late December 2020
(After change) Scheduled to be released in early March 2021

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to...

Continue reading...

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Not surprising. Still waiting on the 100-500 to become available.
I'm sure I didn't help my wait time by cancelling and then reordering. About six weeks for me now.

But I did hear a rumor that more would be available "right after Christmas."

Meanwhile, Amazon has set back its back-in-stock ETA for the 100-500 from 12/17/2020 until 12/30/2020.

Upvote 0
Off topic, but I've found that occasionally the Canon Store has them in stock for part of a day. That's how I got one for my wife. It was all of a sudden.

Off topic from the already off topic comment: Canon Store's systems seem to be really old and balkanized based on the different regional warehouses. A couple times I've ordered things that were "in stock" only to have to call up Canon a couple weeks later to find that the order was set to be delivered from a particular warehouse that didn't happen to have the product. My 35mm f/1.8 took 4 weeks because of this. Upshot: If you don't get a message about shipping, poke them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Off topic, but I've found that occasionally the Canon Store has them in stock for part of a day. That's how I got one for my wife. It was all of a sudden.

Off topic from the already off topic comment: Canon Store's systems seem to be really old and balkanized based on the different regional warehouses. A couple times I've ordered things that were "in stock" only to have to call up Canon a couple weeks later to find that the order was set to be delivered from a particular warehouse that didn't happen to have the product. My 35mm f/1.8 took 4 weeks because of this. Upshot: If you don't get a message about shipping, poke them.

That how I got my R5 a few months ago. When I called to confirm the Canon helpdesk was very surprised I managed to snag one :)

Upvote 0

Jsjamesok

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
I ordered a R5 about 13 days ago from the Canon site, and the next day the order status indicated backordered where it had been in stock when I placed the order. I had sort of resigned myself to a long wait and then it arrived Monday. I think that order status pages show the current status of any given item, and do not reflect if your order will be fulfilled. And going back years, the warehouses seem to be slow to ship while still paying for expensive shipping methods. B&H and Amazon has sort of spoiled me--I think if two day shipping is included I mentally expect the product in two or three days. Canon in this case shipped on the seventh day and used two day shipping.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
I'm sure I didn't help my wait time by cancelling and then reordering. About six weeks for me now.

But I did hear a rumor that more would be available "right after Christmas."

Meanwhile, Amazon has set back its back-in-stock ETA for the 100-500 from 12/17/2020 until 12/30/2020.

It could be worst. I made the same mistake with the Nikon 500mm pf. I cancelled my original order then reordered. It then took 11 months before the lens came in. It's a great lens, but I'm definitely enjoying my 100-500L more.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Just bad timing to launch a new high end camera and lens system. In light of the current status of the camera industry (minus cellphones) with major brands struggling to find a path forward, slowed technological advancements (compared to the megapixel arms race of the early 2000’s), and now a global pandemic that is stressing production lines and shipping channels, it’s no wonder products are delayed. Let’s all hope that 2021, at least the 2nd half will find us back to a new normal.

Upvote 0
If Canon released the limited stock of RF 70-200 f4 lenses that they have produced, can you image people snatching them up only to resell them at a higher price? Buyers would be really pissed at Canon for that market decision. I got lucky with purchase timing of the R5/RF 70-200 f2.8, I waited until there were several reviews before commiting to a major shift to FF mirrorless. The moment B&H got their restock, I ordered and got it 3 days later. I have several EF lenses for the 5D IV & 5DS, so I'm good for now. I'll find a new home for the 5DS and some EF glass as the RF production picks up. Shipping & production delays suck and will be a problem for quite a while. My new ASUS ROG Strix GL12CX desktop took 3 weeks to get here due to UPS shipping backlogs.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I ordered a R5 about 13 days ago from the Canon site, and the next day the order status indicated backordered where it had been in stock when I placed the order. I had sort of resigned myself to a long wait and then it arrived Monday. I think that order status pages show the current status of any given item, and do not reflect if your order will be fulfilled. And going back years, the warehouses seem to be slow to ship while still paying for expensive shipping methods. B&H and Amazon has sort of spoiled me--I think if two day shipping is included I mentally expect the product in two or three days. Canon in this case shipped on the seventh day and used two day shipping.
That's been my experience as well, expensive two day shipping but it isn't shipped for four or five days.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Slightly off topic but i have a question to lens experts here:

When using lenses like the new RF 800 F11, the AF area is limited to the center area. Why is that artificially set to an F number and
not limited by the amount of light hitting the sensor.
Because at F11 the sensor corners can get more light than at F5.6 for example, when shooting at sunny conditions.

Upvote 0

Agreed, I see they had the R5 in stock when out of stock everywhere else. When referring to getting one for your wife, you mean specifically the RF 70-200 f4, or another product?

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Slightly off topic but i have a question to lens experts here:

When using lenses like the new RF 800 F11, the AF area is limited to the center area. Why is that artificially set to an F number and
not limited by the amount of light hitting the sensor.
Because at F11 the sensor corners can get more light than at F5.6 for example, when shooting at sunny conditions.
Aperture has an effect on the angle at which light beams are hitting the sensor. So it is not strictly about the amount of light, rather the way in which it comes in when talking about AF. It's not an artificial limit, it is the same one that prevented apertures past f/5.6 working on DSLR for anything but the very center.

In the abstract understanding I have of this, it is essentially more difficult for camera to autofocus if there's lesser blur in out of focus areas.

Upvote 0
I guess this worked out well for Canon on my end. With the delay, I had time to re-evaluate my lenses, and decided to spring for the RF f/2.8 version...I had tested it previously and was impressed, but as I'm moving more into Canon as my primary system, I've decided the f/2.8 version is what I'd end up with eventually anyway, so I cancelled my pre-order and picked up the f/2.8.

Upvote 0