The CFexpress card reader included with the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III may be delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have received a report out of Germany that the CFexpress card reader that is to be included with the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is going to be delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak. The factory that makes the card reader is based in China and from this report, it has been closed down.
Canon will instruct purchasers of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III to register their cameras starting on February 14, 2020, to receive their card reader at a later date.
At this time we don’t know if this will be a global issue or not, as some card readers may have already left the factory.
We’ll update you once we know more.

Continue reading...

Typical millennial comment.

CFEXpress was used so that all those insane video feature can be executed without a hiccup and also to integrate seamlessly with cinema environment and also "future proofing". BTW, all cards types are made in China anyways (if your comment stems from the mention of Coronavirus.)
Get off my lawn!

Unlike many I was making a humorous comment.

Canon should have abandoned CF for XQD/CFast as early as 2011 or any of these bodies below.
  • 2011 1D X
  • 2012 5D Mark III
  • 2014 7D Mark II
  • 2015 5Ds
  • 2016 5D Mark IV
Then move to CFExpress in 2020 with the 1D X Mark III, 5Ds Mark II, 5D Mark V, 7D Mark III or RF quivalent bodies.

The delay is probably because of labor or supply chain shortages.

So if you are planning to buy 1D X Mark III then ditch the plan and actually buy it now. Projects that will need it wont wait for stocks to come in.

Same thing with those buying a Macbook Pro 16". Do so now or wait for a few months for it to come back into stock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The reader is supposed to be part of your bundle, unless you are based in Eastern Europe.

Yes, but I have a few high volume shoots in February and March. I'd rather not take the chance to find out at the last minute that there was a problem or I get a card for a future reader. Besides, I prefer thunderbolt 3 readers for my Mac anyway.

Upvote 0

RBS

Feb 6, 2020
Not too worried if the reader doesn't ship with my 1DX III because I have grown used to using the ethernet ports in my 1DX and 1DX II to avoid dealing with fragile CF card pin connectors. Speed, especially with the faster gigabit LAN port on the 1DX II, is fine connected to the gigabit LAN port in my HP Z820 workstation.

After shooting a sports event, I can relax with a drink while watching the preview as the images transfer before starting editing :)

At least the CFexpress card avoids the potential bent pin issue with a robust mechanical interface and no fragile pins. I am started to get excited about the new body as the release date approaches and with the even better higher ISO performance than the 1DX II, I hope that the 200-400 F4 1.4X will be very viable for HS football even on lesser illuminated fields.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0