The-Digital-Picture adds electronic shutter comparison for R5

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Just noticed this in Bryan's R5 review so far at The-Digital-Picture: he added in a electronic vs mechanical shutter comparison: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-R5.aspx

Scroll down to the ceiling fan photo.

There is slight visible distortion there, but considering the speed most ceiling fans are spinning, this looks pretty exciting. I was already willing to deal with some very extreme and painful rolling shutter on the EOS R in silent mode when I was shooting very slow, quiet action settings where the shutter noise would cause more problems, so maybe this means that the silent shutter will have even more use in general assignment work. Still will probably go with mechanical shutter on extreme action, but will do my own tests when the R5 arrives.

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 12, 2016
I wish he had specified what speed he had the ceiling fan running at. If that is with the fan on medium or high, that's extremely impressive. Even on low, it's noticeably better than the EOS R. For reference, here's my EOS R taking a photo of a ceiling fan with the electronic shutter with the fan on low, medium, and high.

1R0_9925.jpg

1R0_9928.jpg

1R0_9932.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I wish he had specified what speed he had the ceiling fan running at. If that is with the fan on medium or high, that's extremely impressive. Even on low, it's noticeably better than the EOS R. For reference, here's my EOS R taking a photo of a ceiling fan with the electronic shutter with the fan on low, medium, and high.

View attachment 191571

View attachment 191573

View attachment 191574

I'm hoping high speed, since that would make the most sense to test at. If so, holy crap!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'm hoping high speed, since that would make the most sense to test at. If so, holy crap!

The text below his pictures does say "fast motion"

In the ceiling fan in fast motion sample images above, results from the three available shutter options can be compared. While the electronic first curtain shutter method creates a result similar to the mechanical option, the electronic shutter creates an angular shift effect. That said, that amount of shift is rather mild (and the fan is not perfectly symmetrical).

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
The text below his pictures does say "fast motion"
I dunno, I took that to imply that any motion of a ceiling fan is "fast motion," that's why he used the ceiling fan as a test of "fast motion."

Honestly I would be pretty blown away if the electronic shutter problems went from being that awful on the EOS R with the fan set to high to that good on the R5. Unfortunately, I feel like his fan was probably on low. I just can't imagine the issue got that much better on the R5, but we'll see. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Upvote 0