The first SIGMA RF lens arrives in July, more in Q4 of 2024

But... but... wait, I was sure Canon would release a RF-S version of their popular EF-M 22mm and 33mm primes, so it seemed logic that they would open their mount but excluding Sigma's 23mm and 30mm to avoid direct competition.

How Canon management dare think that they can run their business better than I would do?
This is really outrageous.
If Canon shifts the good RF-S lenses to 3rd party, in theory, they will have capacity to replicate recent Sony's f2.8 G lenses; 1st party lenses that competes with 3rd party f2.8 trinities.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Yep, I was referring to people that wonder why Canon management makes "X" instead of "Y", since they consider "Y" the only reasonable option.
Canon does not always make the best choices but thinking that if Canon does not choose what I like they will go out of business is when it gets crazy.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If Canon shifts the good RF-S lenses to 3rd party, in theory, they will have capacity to replicate recent Sony's f2.8 G lenses;
Canon does not really have lenses like that except the RF 200-800.
Canon has L lenses and everything else.
GM is equivalent to L but L is in the middle.
I think that will be mostly what Canon relies on third parties for.
At the same time, I also think Canon should come up with another designation equivalent to G.

Upvote 0
Canon does not really have lenses like that except the RF 200-800.
Canon has L lenses and everything else.
GM is equivalent to L but L is in the middle.
I think that will be mostly what Canon relies on third parties for.
At the same time, I also think Canon should come up with another designation equivalent to G.
Non L orange ring, just to troll Sony;)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I think I detect some sarcasm :)

The Sigma 30mm is a full centimeter wider (72mm) than the EF-M one (61mm), but roughly the same length. So that's a good 'replacement' for EF-M people going to RF. The Sigma 23mm however, is a lot longer than the EF-M 22mm, which puts it, for me, in a very different category. If I want something compact like the EF-M 22mm, I'd look at the RF16 and RF28, not at the Sigma 23mm.

Having said all that, the AF on the EF-M Sigma 56mm is actually silent and very smooth, that is not something that can be said for the RF STM primes :)

I just took a look at this lens. WOW that's bigger than the pancake. Was just looking at the list of lenses again and 1.4 would be a nice tradeoff for loosing that lil banger lens...but yeah thats huge in comparison. I have the 30mm and its a huge difference between the two, especially on an m50.

The EFM 22/f2 is really a gem of gems. It's gotta be some crime against 'photo humanity' this wasn't re-released. (insert protest animated gif here).

The rf 16 & rf 28 are always mentioned as alternatives..they are absolutely not, neither in focal length nor aperture. Especially that 16...yuck.

Upvote 0
I just took a look at this lens. WOW that's bigger than the pancake. Was just looking at the list of lenses again and 1.4 would be a nice tradeoff for loosing that lil banger lens...but yeah thats huge in comparison. I have the 30mm and its a huge difference between the two, especially on an m50.

The EFM 22/f2 is really a gem of gems. It's gotta be some crime against 'photo humanity' this wasn't re-released. (insert protest animated gif here).

The rf 16 & rf 28 are always mentioned as alternatives..they are absolutely not, neither in focal length nor aperture. Especially that 16...yuck.
Hopefully Canon still makes some RF-S primes.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Not everyone can afford L glass plus the Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art DG DN is an excellent lens that has an optical design that caters to the needs of astro photographers. Sigma have tons of options that Canon don’t currently make/may not ever make including a 14mm f1.4, 20mm f1.4, 65mm f2 and the recent 500mm prime.

As others have stated here many times Canon will decide what 3rd parties can or cannot release on the platform. These APSC lenses pose no threat to Canon and in fact may lead to an increase in body sales.
OH, didn't realize they were APSC. That explains everything!

Yeah, I have the Sigma 28/1.4 and it's sweet. I don't shoot astro but if I could get a 14/1.4 I'd probably START shooting astro! :-D It's my first off-brand lens since the 1990s and I see I've been snooty about brands too long.

Upvote 0