The follow-up to the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II may come in 2019 [CR2]

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I own the EOS-R and 1DX2. The EOS-R is a poor choice for action shooting and close to useless for BIF. The EOS R frame rate is far too slow. The EVF has a lag which makes tracking a fast subject very difficult. EOS R lacks the power to drive the focusing servos of a large telephoto as well as the 1dx2. Just to name a few...
The frame rate is not hypersonic but you can shoot at 5fps and get great tracking(from what i am hearing). Yes. There is a bit of lag but it is not as bad as i thought it would be. Not as good as an ovf but manageable. For me the worry is the eye fatigue caused by the evf.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I struggle sometimes to understand Canons marketing of the 1D line , each time i come to replace a camera I look at the 1D line and think how nice it would be to have the ferrari of cameras and then look at the latest 5D line and find it does pretty much everything better and seems as if they almost want the 5D to be the better seller. I have never ever had a 5D fail in bad weather and been using them since the 5D1 , never had a problem tracking since the 5D3 and 5D4 came along , the video is more advanced now in the 5D lines , what is the actual reason for purchasing the 1D line is it purely sports / speed and the theoretical longer lasting shutter ? and once again it looks likely that if they do release a new 1Dx and new 5D line will be shortly after ? So have these two lines become to close to each other.

Wedding Photographer North East & Yorkshire Northumberland & Wedding Photographer Cumbria

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
“Full frame mirrorless isn’t yet advanced enough to take over the duties of the EOS-1D line in Canon’s eyes”.

Well... CANON’S full frame mirrorless might not be advanced enough...
Neither are Sony's A 9 or Nikon's mirrorless, and I won't even mention color rendition , ergonomics or reliability.
It's hard to beat the EOS 1, or the Nikon D 5, Sony's A 9 has a higher fps rate and a few other advantages, but otherwise, feels like a toy compared to real professional cameras.

Upvote 0
I struggle sometimes to understand Canons marketing of the 1D line , each time i come to replace a camera I look at the 1D line and think how nice it would be to have the ferrari of cameras and then look at the latest 5D line and find it does pretty much everything better and seems as if they almost want the 5D to be the better seller. I have never ever had a 5D fail in bad weather and been using them since the 5D1 , never had a problem tracking since the 5D3 and 5D4 came along , the video is more advanced now in the 5D lines , what is the actual reason for purchasing the 1D line is it purely sports / speed and the theoretical longer lasting shutter ? and once again it looks likely that if they do release a new 1Dx and new 5D line will be shortly after ? So have these two lines become to close to each other.

Wedding Photographer North East & Yorkshire Northumberland & Wedding Photographer Cumbria

Whenever you need speed and durability and the weight is not an issue, that's when the 1D is good to have. So sports and nature basically. The 5D line seems to have taken the spot the 1Ds line had way back when.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I know a pro sports shooter who tried out the R (normally he has the 1dx2) and I asked him about the AF on the R for sports. He said it was fantastic.

If you are doing a single shot then the AF of the R will be fine. But, when you get into continuous AF (AI servo), you get into trouble. The fps for AF is 5/s or less. But, that's not the real problem. The real problem is that the viewfinder during a burst is looking at the frame you have just taken which will be 200ms or more old. So, if you are taking a bird in flight that is moving rapidly across the field of view, you will be shooting at where it was, which could be out of frame. The same will be true for sports with rapid movement across. Sure, in some circumstances that won't matter, but in a lot of cases it will.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
The frame rate is not hypersonic but you can shoot at 5fps and get great tracking(from what i am hearing). Yes. There is a bit of lag but it is not as bad as i thought it would be. Not as good as an ovf but manageable. For me the worry is the eye fatigue caused by the evf.
Back in the day, 5 FPS was smoking!. Now it is very slow, especially for capturing bird interaction or ideal subject posture during BIF. There is definitely a slight lag and momentary blackout in the EVF that makes tracking fast birds much more difficult. Even with image review disabled, my EOS R wants to briefly display the last image taken. This is a complaint reported by many wildlife photographers. It is a solid camera for many applications but not so much for fast action photography.

Upvote 0
Neither are Sony's A 9 or Nikon's mirrorless, and I won't even mention color rendition , ergonomics or reliability.
It's hard to beat the EOS 1, or the Nikon D 5, Sony's A 9 has a higher fps rate and a few other advantages, but otherwise, feels like a toy compared to real professional cameras.
I appreciate your opinion, but facts to support it are sparse. It's way too soon to know much about reliability of EOS R, Sony a9, Nikon Z7. Ergonomics are a matter of personal fit. And, color rendition... well watch this Tony Northrup video and see how you feel about Canon color science:

Upvote 0

The 5DIV is a fine camera but not sure why you would say the video is more advanced than the 1DX2. I'd take a 1DX2 for video every time. The 5DIV has log available but it's not a particularly good implementation of log, it has significant rolling shutter and the only workable frame rates are 4k 25/30P. The IDX2 has very good 4K 25/30p and 50/60P, decent 120fps at 1080p and very low rolling shutter. Not to mention a lower crop ratio. It doesn't have log but the log on the 5DIV is mostly a marketing gimmic IMO. On a gimbal there simply isn't any comparison. It's an excellent video tool if you can live with the awkward form factor. I have both so it's not a mine is better thing. I rarely shoot video with the 5DIV. I like the 5D's, I've owned all four models but don't underestimate what a great camera Canon released in the 1DX2.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
If you are doing a single shot then the AF of the R will be fine. But, when you get into continuous AF (AI servo), you get into trouble. The fps for AF is 5/s or less. But, that's not the real problem. The real problem is that the viewfinder during a burst is looking at the frame you have just taken which will be 200ms or more old. So, if you are taking a bird in flight that is moving rapidly across the field of view, you will be shooting at where it was, which could be out of frame. The same will be true for sports with rapid movement across. Sure, in some circumstances that won't matter, but in a lot of cases it will.
Do remember that this is very different if you use adapted EF lenses or if you use RF lenses...

Upvote 0

The 1D is faster. It has better auto focus for moving subjects. It has better metering. It’s much more rugged and water resistant.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Do remember that this is very different if you use adapted EF lenses or if you use RF lenses...
Viewing 0.2s behind the real time if view is the best you can do with an RF lens on the current EOS R. With an adapted lens it could be worse than that. Which means that the R is not the camera of choice for rapid erratic movement though it will work well in other circumstances.

Upvote 0
I appreciate your opinion, but facts to support it are sparse. It's way too soon to know much about reliability of EOS R, Sony a9, Nikon Z7. Ergonomics are a matter of personal fit. And, color rendition... well watch this Tony Northrup video and see how you feel about Canon color science:
Honestly I don't understand why people use this video in different forums as a reference for "color science". With respect, from scientific data analysis perspective it is totally nonsense. He has collected some random data from unspecified subjects with different demography, skill level and preferences, and then interprets his junk data in a purely subjective and awkward way without posing any hypothesis and without testing validity of the claim he makes! And interestingly he calls it color "science"!!o_O

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
LOL! I think you are too worried about what's to come next and fairly soon, forgetting you already have beautiful equipment, but nevertheless Mirrorless is the future, is written on the wall; remember the beginning of the transition from film to digital? some of us (me included) thought the new technology was just a phase, boy were we wrong!!. Hopefully we will be able to keep using the same cards.....

But once Canon feels the mirrorless they can produce can stand the abuse and perform like the
1D Series, BOOM!!

In the mean time I am perfectly happy and I'll keep using my 1DX and 5D Mark III and I'll keep using my 1D Mark III to beat it over the head with a bat....

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Back in the day, 5 FPS was smoking!. Now it is very slow, especially for capturing bird interaction or ideal subject posture during BIF. There is definitely a slight lag and momentary blackout in the EVF that makes tracking fast birds much more difficult. Even with image review disabled, my EOS R wants to briefly display the last image taken. This is a complaint reported by many wildlife photographers. It is a solid camera for many applications but not so much for fast action photography.
I agree about the delay while displaying the previous frame. But i still reckon that despite that and potential eye fatigue, the eos r would do a better job than portrayed as a camera that can be used for a bit of action at a pinch. I don't think anyone would recommend buying it for that specific purpose though.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
what is the actual reason for purchasing the 1D line is it purely sports / speed and the theoretical longer lasting shutter ?

Durability, speed, responsiveness. For example being able to track the target in the viewfinder whilst shooting at high FPS, because the shutter blackout time is very short.

And if you've ever seen pitch-side shooters just letting their monopod go to switch to another camera for a close-shot...

Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
LOL! I think you are too worried about what's to come next and fairly soon, forgetting you already have beautiful equipment, but nevertheless Mirrorless is the future, is written on the wall; remember the beginning of the transition from film to digital? some of us (me included) thought the new technology was just a phase, boy were we wrong!!. Hopefully we will be able to keep using the same cards.....

But once Canon feels the mirrorless they can produce can stand the abuse and perform like the
1D Series, BOOM!!

In the mean time I am perfectly happy and I'll keep using my 1DX and 5D Mark III and I'll keep using my 1D Mark III to beat it over the head with a bat....

I'm with you. I've got a 5D3 and a 1DX that I use. The 5D3 for general purpose, landscapes, portraits, events, etc. with my 1DX backing it up there. Then, I use the 1DX for sports and when I get the rare occasion to go out for wildlife. I've rented the 5Ds R and really liked the additional ability to crop and still have a highly usable picture. I'm starting to look for a 5D3 replacement, and am hoping we get a 5Ds R update (mirrorless or not) to add to my set. I've had major repairs done to my 5D3 this year (main board and sensor both replaced), so I'm planning to use it for many years to come!

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I disagree with this assessment. I have shot both systems a lot and shoot almost exclusively BIF and when the AF is set up correctly for the BIF scenario being shot, the Canon holds its own if not does better than the D5 in my experience. Moreover, the Canon system performs extremely well with BIF at 1200mm (600mm f/4 + 2xTC), something Nikon cannot achieve. Overall, I try to avoid making sweeping statements about any particular system without a lot of data from a lot of photographers. Basically, everyone shoots differently. Some people will find the Canon does better for them and visa versa. Both are very good systems and can consistently capture action I never thought would be possible to photograph with any regularity.View attachment 182150
What a photo!

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Honestly I don't understand why people use this video in different forums as a reference for "color science". With respect, from scientific data analysis perspective it is totally nonsense.

He's not wrong though. When you convert raw files in Lightroom from different camera manufacturers you are mostly going to get the same results because you're using Adobe's "colour science". There are differences between the sensor implementation between different manufacturers but the difference that makes is far less than the interpretation of the RAW files down to viewable RGB images.

As he says, I've use both Canon and Sony on the same shoots, and when the raw files from the two systems are converted in Lightroom the resultant files are indistinguishable in terms of colour rendition when using Canon lenses on both systems!

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'm with you. I've got a 5D3 and a 1DX that I use. The 5D3 for general purpose, landscapes, portraits, events, etc. with my 1DX backing it up there. Then, I use the 1DX for sports and when I get the rare occasion to go out for wildlife. I've rented the 5Ds R and really liked the additional ability to crop and still have a highly usable picture. I'm starting to look for a 5D3 replacement, and am hoping we get a 5Ds R update (mirrorless or not) to add to my set. I've had major repairs done to my 5D3 this year (main board and sensor both replaced), so I'm planning to use it for many years to come!
Once you have used the 50mpx 5DSR without an AA-filter for wild life, the lower resolution Canon's with filters are disappointing - not to say you don't get superb results from them, the 5DSR is better still. I'm in the market for the Canon hi-res R, with a second lower res body in reserve for extreme action.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
He's not wrong though. When you convert raw files in Lightroom from different camera manufacturers you are mostly going to get the same results because you're using Adobe's "colour science". There are differences between the sensor implementation between different manufacturers but the difference that makes is far less than the interpretation of the RAW files down to viewable RGB images.

As he says, I've use both Canon and Sony on the same shoots, and when the raw files from the two systems are converted in Lightroom the resultant files are indistinguishable in terms of colour rendition when using Canon lenses on both systems!

Which is one reason why some of us use DPP for RAW conversion. Adobe color is quite different in my opinion. I often wonder what the heck happened when using Adobe.

Upvote 0