The future of the Canon EOS-1D X series [CR1]

'People' perhaps, but it'll be simple for commercial outfits who will have depreciated their 1DX2s. When you're relying on depreciation to reduce income tax libaility then it makes sense to switch-up and restart the cycle.

Personally I think the 1DX3 will have a resolution bump, dual CFast and perhaps an AF push to all-cross-points, but little else. Certainly no swivel screens or illuminated buttons that aren't compatible with 3 - 5 years of hard daily use.
In the business sense I totally agree with you actually I agree with pretty much everything you said, But for the hobbyist it will have to be significant or maybe it won’t, most people on this page would probably buy one just to say they did and make a YouTube video about it. For those who don’t shoot professionally to say the camera needs a tilty flippy screen or some other dumb feature that would detract from reliability don’t understand canon or the pro user. I don’t want anything that could potentially break or render my camera body useless. Would illuminated buttons be nice? Maybe but I have memorized where the buttons are, we working professionals don’t need the gimmick, we want proven reliability. I shoot in mud and down pouring rain at times and a evf seems like a point of failure for those situations.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Minus holding it in your hands all day long and then your hand starts to ache from the size and weight lol...

A lot of people don’t realize that, within reason, a larger grip is much easier on your hand/joints to hold for extended periods of time(like shooting long sporting events), especially if it’s “heavy”.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It would be interesting to see how many real pros us 4K in the 1DX MII. Or how many even bother with using it for video at all.
I suspect that if one is a pro shooting video spending that kind of money you will get a dedicated pro level video camera.
As I watch sports and news it appears that stills dominate the pro market rather than make short video clips.
I would say a large majority of those using the 1DX MII use it for stills only and likely would have a hard time shooting a video.
Not necessarily true, there are a handful of users, who bought it for specifically for its video capabilities (YT seems to be a big thing these days and this is still one of the best cameras out there for that specific purpose), but of course with the intention of taking stills with it as well, so it is a hybrid camera in that regard. Compared to the other 4k60p capable camera, the GH5 it has video AF and it is also a much stronger stills camera and of course it fully belongs to the EF lens system as well (no need to use adapters, etc.).
And no, you can't get a C200 for the same amount of money, it costs a good bit more (and actually the 1080p120fps is actually weaker than the 1DXII) and of course it is video only.
In theory, Canon could make a smaller camera to give access to these features. But they simply don't, so if someone is looking into getting a Canon for video, he has to go for the 1DXII (or higher) to get them, simple as that. Apart from C-Log it is still a massive upgrade over the 1DC (which is basically only usable for 4k24p and it has a s35mm crop mode 1080p, but it doesn't even have a decent 60p slow-motion mode, or AF, and the rolling shutter is much worse) as well as being a lot more accessible pricing-wise.

Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
I absolutely do not want a tilty flippy screen on the 1DX3. There are far too many times I’m running across a venue or field to get a shot and the last thing I want to worry about is if I’m going to break the screen. I’ll put on my monitor if I need a video screen.

My wish list:
Better AF
Dual card slot of the same card (CFast or CFExpress)
24-26mp
Clog
10bit 4:2:2
I’m ok with the 14fps
Built in WiFi or just charge us less for the WiFi dongle
A little bit more customization in the buttons.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I absolutely do not want a tilty flippy screen on the 1DX3. There are far too many times I’m running across a venue or field to get a shot and the last thing I want to worry about is if I’m going to break the screen. I’ll put on my monitor if I need a video screen.

My wish list:
Better AF
Dual card slot of the same card (CFast or CFExpress)
24-26mp
Clog
10bit 4:2:2
I’m ok with the 14fps
Built in WiFi or just charge us less for the WiFi dongle
A little bit more customization in the buttons.
My desire for a moving screeen is based on photography wants not video. I’d rather have an M5 style tiliting screen than a 80D style swivel screen. I have found tilting screen to be very useful for low and overhead images, and the concerns about durability are largely unfounded, these screens can be made entirely waterproof at very low cost. And robust enough for even the clumsiest of shooters, a simple lock button would ensure those that do not want them would never be impacted by having one, whilst those that see the functionality of them can compose overhead shots others simply can’t.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Not necessarily true, there are a handful of users, who bought it for specifically for its video capabilities (YT seems to be a big thing these days and this is still one of the best cameras out there for that specific purpose), but of course with the intention of taking stills with it as well, so it is a hybrid camera in that regard. Compared to the other 4k60p capable camera, the GH5 it has video AF and it is also a much stronger stills camera and of course it fully belongs to the EF lens system as well (no need to use adapters, etc.).
And no, you can't get a C200 for the same amount of money, it costs a good bit more (and actually the 1080p120fps is actually weaker than the 1DXII) and of course it is video only.
In theory, Canon could make a smaller camera to give access to these features. But they simply don't, so if someone is looking into getting a Canon for video, he has to go for the 1DXII (or higher) to get them, simple as that. Apart from C-Log it is still a massive upgrade over the 1DC (which is basically only usable for 4k24p and it has a s35mm crop mode 1080p, but it doesn't even have a decent 60p slow-motion mode, or AF, and the rolling shutter is much worse) as well as being a lot more accessible pricing-wise.

A handful is a confirmation of what I wrote.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
My desire for a moving screeen is based on photography wants not video. I’d rather have an M5 style tiliting screen than a 80D style swivel screen. I have found tilting screen to be very useful for low and overhead images, and the concerns about durability are largely unfounded, these screens can be made entirely waterproof at very low cost. And robust enough for even the clumsiest of shooters, a simple lock button would ensure those that do not want them would never be impacted by having one, whilst those that see the functionality of them can compose overhead shots others simply can’t.

For high angle shots an articulated screen is worth its weight in gold. Mine spends most of its time folded flat against the camera like a normal screen so worries about it sticking out when I move around are unfounded. Plus, if you reverse the screen for storage/travel it is BETTER protected than a normal screen.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
A handful is a confirmation of what I wrote.
Neither of us know how many they've sold and for what purpose, that's the truth. But if we are looking at stills performance only, the 1DX is already extremely strong there, so the upgrade might not be needed anyway, but for video, the Mark II is incomparably better (the 1DX hasn't even got a headphone jack, unlike the 1DC...).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
For high angle shots an articulated screen is worth its weight in gold. Mine spends most of its time folded flat against the camera like a normal screen so worries about it sticking out when I move around are unfounded. Plus, if you reverse the screen for storage/travel it is BETTER protected than a normal screen.
And wouldn't carrying a monitor be also subject to damage incidents? I don't get the arguments against a flip screen on a 1D series body. Like you say, the screen can be carried in the folded flat position. That is the single thing I missed when switching from a 70D to the 5D mark III... the flip screen and the added convenience/capabilities it offered for an old guy like me. Especially the high/low angle stuff. I'd be thrilled if a 5D mark V (1DX Mark III is above my pay grade) gets the fully articulated screen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It would be interesting to see how many real pros us 4K in the 1DX MII. Or how many even bother with using it for video at all.
I suspect that if one is a pro shooting video spending that kind of money you will get a dedicated pro level video camera.
As I watch sports and news it appears that stills dominate the pro market rather than make short video clips.
I would say a large majority of those using the 1DX MII use it for stills only and likely would have a hard time shooting a video.
Thing is that "real pros" aren't the whole of the market. I'd imagine that enthusiast baby boomers with $$$$ are the biggest part of the market. That said, if I ever got a 1D series it would be for stills only. Same for my 5D series. Same thing if I went R. I know many here complain about Canon's video features, but for me those features mean nothing. I suspect Canon has a handle on how important/unimportant video is to the larger market, which might be why Canon isn't so aggressive with those features.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Thing is that "real pros" aren't the whole of the market. I'd imagine that enthusiast baby boomers with $$$$ are the biggest part of the market. That said, if I ever got a 1D series it would be for stills only. Same for my 5D series. Same thing if I went R. I know many here complain about Canon's video features, but for me those features mean nothing. I suspect Canon has a handle on how important/unimportant video is to the larger market, which might be why Canon isn't so aggressive with those features.
I agree... and something else that should be pointed out is that for shooting video, the ergonomics of a DSLR are terrible. Note how different the form factor is of a 1DX2 and a C700.... form follows function and if you are serious about video consider going to something with a form factor that allows proper holding and the appropriate controls in the right places.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I don't get the arguments against a flip screen on a 1D series body. Like you say, the screen can be carried in the folded flat position.

The hinge and bearing need to be designed for years of DAILY use. And they need to be water-sealed. That's a hell of a beating for any rotating fitting. And the connecting ribbon cable needs to remain anchored and instact after years of vibration and falls. And then there's the additional weight, on a camera that's already 1.7kg

I can imagine the 1DX3 receiving a full touch-screen update. But I can't believe that Canon would add mechanical complexity to a functional tool like a 1D; it has to work every time, no margin for a cable getting worn or a hinge getting loose. Certainly not without extensive field testing, which isn't a luxury they appear to have before Summer 2020.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The hinge and bearing need to be designed for years of DAILY use. And they need to be water-sealed. That's a hell of a beating for any rotating fitting. And the connecting ribbon cable needs to remain anchored and instact after years of vibration and falls. And then there's the additional weight, on a camera that's already 1.7kg

I can imagine the 1DX3 receiving a full touch-screen update. But I can't believe that Canon would add mechanical complexity to a functional tool like a 1D; it has to work every time, no margin for a cable getting worn or a hinge getting loose. Certainly not without extensive field testing, which isn't a luxury they appear to have before Summer 2020.
Actually, Canon has been testing exactly that in lesser models for years and years. I don't know that a 1D series will ever have it, but it doesn't seem to be a complex problem at all, to me. Maybe somebody here has had problems on lesser bodies, but I have never read of any. If Canon can design a mirror to go a couple hundred thousand cycles without failing, a screen that moves far less violently (and far less often) wouldn't seem like a problem. When I had my 70D the only time the screen got flipped out was for a specific need. It isn't something constant. Either way, I'd love to see one on a possible 5D mark V. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
A lot of people don’t realize that, within reason, a larger grip is much easier on your hand/joints to hold for extended periods of time(like shooting long sporting events), especially if it’s “heavy”.
A lot of people complain about problems resulting from something they’ve never actually done. With a 24-70/2.8 or 70-200/2.8 on my 1D X with a handstrap, I can hold it in my hand all day with no problem. I tried that with a smaller/lighter body once. Once, which was enough to teach me never to do that again.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I agree... and something else that should be pointed out is that for shooting video, the ergonomics of a DSLR are terrible. Note how different the form factor is of a 1DX2 and a C700.... form follows function and if you are serious about video consider going to something with a form factor that allows proper holding and the appropriate controls in the right places.

I agree with you to a point, but there are applications for which the form factor is beneficial to video (not to mention people who want it for hybrid stills-video applications). If you mount it on a tripod, either form factor is fine, and if you already have photography gear (video DSLR, tripod) then you're set for the times you do need to do video. For handheld shots, a DSLR on a gimbal is going to be smaller and more nimble than a camcorder with a steadicam setup. The DSLR is also easier to bring around with you if you're looking for candid/spur of the moment videos. There's also lots of reasons you may want a DSLR as a "B" cam.

OTOH, if you're filming TV reporters on location (or filming a proper TV show/movie), you probably do want the larger shoulder-rest setup.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
A lot of people complain about problems resulting from something they’ve never actually done. With a 24-70/2.8 or 70-200/2.8 on my 1D X with a handstrap, I can hold it in my hand all day with no problem. I tried that with a smaller/lighter body once. Once, which was enough to teach me never to do that again.

Are you telling me that you can hold all that weight in your hands and grip it well and not have sore hands at the end of the day? Because a lot of times when I do it, my hand does ache.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Jimmy Chin filmed his Academy Award winning documentary Free Solo, while simultaneously shooting stills for Nat Geo and hanging 1000 ft down a rope from the top of El Capitan with a 1DX Mark II. That’s why people buy 1DX2’s for video. Not sure what else there is to say about it.
And David Breshears carried an IMAX camera to the top of Mount Everest. :)

Upvote 0

My quote simply means that an 8K (8192 x 6144 pixel) combined video/stills GLOBAL SHUTTER MEDIUM FORMAT SENSOR camera is coming out so very soon now!

This NEW high end ruggedized PRO-series with user-defineable 1.89:1/16:9/4:3 aspect ratio of 60 fps DCI 8K (8192 x 4320 pixel) at up-to-16 bits per channel (64-bit colour!) 4:4:4:4 TRUE RGBA/YCbCrA RAW/2:1 RAW/3:1 RAW/4:1 RAW ... or ... up-to-16 bits per channel 4:4:4/4:2:2 Interframe compressed H.265 and/or MP4/H.264 at up to 120 fps DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) ...OR ... 480 fps DCI 2K (2048 x 1080 pixel) video at 16 bit 4:4:4 full-sensor-size sampled, and centre-cropped 960 fps 16 bits 4:4:4 super-slow-motion video ... PLUS .... a FULL 50.3 Megapixel RAW uncompressed and JPEG-2000 wavelet-compressed 4:4:4/4:2:2 still photos with user-selectable up to 60 fps Burst speed in a five second super-fast-buffer camera with a super-high quality series of large format f/1.2 to f/2 prime lenses and f/2.4 zooms coming right out of the gate at product introduction! These are much larger MF sensors so light sensitivity and LOW noise levels is outstanding!

THEN IN ADDITION ... a series of 5.5 and 6.5 inch smartphones for the FIRST TIME, one with a 50+ megapixel Global Shutter 2/3rds inch AND a version with a 50+ megapixel One Inch sensor are being introduced at the SAME time as the big pro-cameras. These smartphones have 60 fps interframe 10 bit 4:2:2 compressed DCI 8K (8192 4320) and 120 fps DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) video and 50.3 megapixel 4:4:4 RAW and Compressed 4:4:4/4:2:2 JPEG-2000 stills.
These will have quite excellent light sensitivity compared to many smartphones!

---

I may SOUND crazy, but I got inner information access you simply don't have AND i'm being ALLOWED to post here by management and THAT is definitely NOT A NORMAL THING for this company to do !!!!!!!!!

Get Read Canon ... The FUTURE IS COMING NOW !!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0