The History of Canon's CINE-SERVO 50-1000mm Lens

HTML:
<iframe width="728" height="409" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xpF_fV4Sm4g" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe><p>Canon has released a video detailing the history behind the Canon’s CINI-SERVO 50-1000mm lens.</p>
<p>Canon USA states:</p>
<blockquote><p>Cinematographer/filmmaker Ivo Norenberg approached Canon in 2010 with a request for an extreme lens. Ivo challenged Canon to produce a long zoom 4K Super 35mm lens tailored to the diverse needs of wildlife video production.</p></blockquote>
<p>It may be a “bit” over the top, but it’s an interesting video on a pretty amazing lens.</p>
<p>If you really want to make Craig’s day, buy one <a href="https://bhpho.to/2fzOJZ5">here</a> from B&H Photo video.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Wow, when I see this it isn't gas I get, it's the urge to get into the wildest places to soak up everything that is there.

What a wolf experience. And, just think a tiny version of this experience is available to almost all of us just by attracting wildlife to our feeders. I know it's not the same but you can still observe the behaviour and be thrilled with the beauty. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Jack Douglas said:
What a wolf experience. And, just think a tiny version of this experience is available to almost all of us just by attracting wildlife to our feeders. I know it's not the same but you can still observe the behaviour and be thrilled with the beauty. :)

I thought exactly the same thing. The wolf experience was amazing; the last shot where he went in all the way to the point where you could see the cubs coming out of the den was just awe-inspiring and immersive.

Did you guys notice at the end how he just threw the built-in teleconverter at the very end as an "oh and by the way"? LOL!!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Talys said:
Jack Douglas said:

I thought exactly the same thing. The wolf experience was amazing; the last shot where he went in all the way to the point where you could see the cubs coming out of the den was just awe-inspiring and immersive.

Did you guys notice at the end how he just threw the built-in teleconverter at the very end as an "oh and by the way"? LOL!!

It was very well done. It has to be one of the best commercials for a company ever! You knew it was all about Canon lenses, and the short was fascinating the whole way through.....

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Jack Douglas said:
Wow, when I see this it isn't gas I get, it's the urge to get into the wildest places to soak up everything that is there.

Jack
I work regularly with Indian wolves and in my experience they are very shy even if pups are raised in captivity. Watching that video really made me jealous how close those Arctic wolves allowed him to get.
This was the closest I have ever managed to get to Indian wolves(on foot) and only because they were busy feeding on Chinkara(Indian gazelle) that the pack had managed to kill few minutes earlier.
Indian wolf by Chaitanya Shukla, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Yasko said:
1500 mm f/11 or something? ;D
Interesting lens. Always on for street photographers with a stalking hobby ::)

I'm sure that it will be even higher than that, since 1000mm is f/8.9.

However, there's still a lot of space between 1000-1500, where it will be a wider aperture; and also, it's extremely bright in the snow. Plus, the body will still produce excellent video given higher ISOs. I mean, look at that gorgeous night segment.

At 1000mm, you don't have to worry about staking... you can stalk from the second floor three buildings over :D

Upvote 0