The Kirkstone Pass Inn, in the Lake District, Cumbria, UK

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
This place is not a city nor town. It does have a road so I guess "street" is the closest word I could find to catalogue this topic. :)

Last week we went to The Kirkstone Pass Inn. It is in the Lake District, UK. It is a lovely place. Look up http://www.kirkstonepassinn.com/. It has lovely scenery, lovely outside, lovely inside, wonderful people and wonderful food. The Inn is said to be about 519 years old. As you can imagine, I took a number of pictures and then I ate. The food was great with service to match. Although we were over 45 minutes past the "last order time" when we realized that we wanted dessert, the folks obliged very happily. I had the Stake and Ale pie. It was delicious! Here is a link to the album https://flic.kr/s/aHskgS4cT3 and below are the pictures.

RPT_9962
by Rustom Taraporevala, on Flickr

RPT_9963-Pano

RPT_9972

RPT_9973

RPT_9974

RPT_9975

RPT_9977

RPT_9978

RPT_9979

RPT_9981

RPT_9986

RPT_9987

RPT_9988

RPT_9989

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Re: The Kirkstone Pass Inn, in the Lake District, Yorkshire, UK

Sporgon said:
Hope you had a good trip in the Lakes rpt. That's a good spot you found; my grandmother used to live at the Windermere end in Troutbeck.

Did you find out why we refer to it as The Rain District ? I hope not too much ;)
Hey! I guess I brought the Indian summer with me so there were clouds and a couple of drizzles but not rain! :)

If I were to settle down in the UK, I would settle down in the Lake District (during the summer)

:p :p :p

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany

Hi rtp!

Lovely story about the Inn. Enjoyed it :)

If you like to hear a few comments to keep in mind for the next time you can do something similar read on, otherwise stop here ;)
(because I would have gotten angry about myself, when I'd see this during PP)

House and panaroama shots are great. I think you nailed it to put that natural stone part in front.
About the portaits: if they like to have their hands in their pockets, so be it ;)
I would have prefered the closer framing of the last one except for cutting off the feet.
The door with the iron mountings and the green vegetation is just great, except for the fuse or electronic box and the red sign in the background. Just close it halfways and you'll get even a better lighting on it.
Nice self portrait in the glass reflections of the pendulum clock ;)

I know this situation too well: you want to take a (good) snapshot, you have a really great subject (e.g. the door) and then you forget about the background or framing or else. *sigh*
These are the moments when I want to turn back time ;) ;) ;)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

tomscott said:
The Lake District is in Cumbria not Yorkshire!!!!!! :mad:

This is about 10 miles from where I live in Penrith.

Cumbria ? Pah ! Should still be in Westmorland, and Penrith can stay in Cumberland ;)

The creation of Cumbria was one of those disgraceful boundary changes. I always found the flavour of Westmorland and Cumberland to be very different.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011

Not sure if this is still the case......But we'll be there in September to check!

Thursday evenings the Local Mountain Rescue Dog handlers train their dogs out on Red Screes (next to the car park), we found it very interesting to watch. And then go to the Inn when they are finished.

Its a fabulous place up there, well worth a visit.

Great pictures too.

Cheers Brian

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

tomscott said:
Still doesn't change the fact its in Cumbria not Yorkshire… imagine the offence :p ;D

Anyway where are the pictures of the pass itself!? Far more interesting than the Kirkston Pass inn… Its a great drive!

BMW Z4Mc Kirkston Pass by Tom Scott, on Flickr

BMW 320SI, Kirkston Pass, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr
OK, maybe off topic but can I ask how two cars can have the same plate? (T100SCT)

Thanks

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India

Sporgon said:
tomscott said:
The Lake District is in Cumbria not Yorkshire!!!!!! :mad:

This is about 10 miles from where I live in Penrith.

Cumbria ? Pah ! Should still be in Westmorland, and Penrith can stay in Cumberland ;)

The creation of Cumbria was one of those disgraceful boundary changes. I always found the flavour of Westmorland and Cumberland to be very different.
Extremely sorry guys, obviously my geography of England is poor and needs my attention. :-[

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India

Maximilian said:
Hi rtp!

Lovely story about the Inn. Enjoyed it :)

If you like to hear a few comments to keep in mind for the next time you can do something similar read on, otherwise stop here ;)
(because I would have gotten angry about myself, when I'd see this during PP)

House and panaroama shots are great. I think you nailed it to put that natural stone part in front.
About the portaits: if they like to have their hands in their pockets, so be it ;)
I would have prefered the closer framing of the last one except for cutting off the feet.
The door with the iron mountings and the green vegetation is just great, except for the fuse or electronic box and the red sign in the background. Just close it halfways and you'll get even a better lighting on it.
Nice self portrait in the glass reflections of the pendulum clock ;)

I know this situation too well: you want to take a (good) snapshot, you have a really great subject (e.g. the door) and then you forget about the background or framing or else. *sigh*
These are the moments when I want to turn back time ;) ;) ;)
Thanks for the input.

Yes, after I got home (in India) I started to edit the images and the fuse box hit me like a ton of bricks. :)

I can't take credit for the self portrait. I discovered that in PP too! Ha! Ha! Thanks anyway.

As for the chap with the feet cut off - that is me. Framed by a colleague of mine. The feet are there in the original but it was a bit crooked and the feet got sacrificed in straightening it out...

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India

tomscott said:
Still doesn't change the fact its in Cumbria not Yorkshire… imagine the offence :p ;D

Anyway where are the pictures of the pass itself!? Far more interesting than the Kirkston Pass inn… Its a great drive!

BMW 320SI, Kirkston Pass, Cumbria by Tom Scott, on Flickr
Nice series! Also nice number plate.

Sorry my ignorance of English geography.

I have taken a few panos that I will edit and put up soon.

Upvote 0