YuengLinger said:
IglooEater said:
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
mukul said:
trollers keep trolling

see how it is represented by DPREVIEW

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1547861226/canon-and-sony-dominate-lensrentals-most-rented-gear-of-2017-list

dpreview was cute. canon has 14 spots, sony as only 4. yet canon AND sony dominate lensrentals...

Of course, I mean, it's not like they're biased or anything. ::)

Do you know how the bias got started?
Is that a serious question?
Yes.

I think it goes back to DPReview falling in love with the Exmor sensor and Sony's mirrorless technology, and then starting to use Dynamic Range to describe shadow lifting at base ISO. DR became a magic number and Sony's DR was higher than Canon's, and that was pretty much all that mattered. Things have pretty much gone downhill from there, or at least that is my take on it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
unfocused said:
i think some people are hypersensitive to any criticism of Canon and when reviewers point out things they see as flaws, too many people are ready to jump all over the review and claim bias. But the fact is, reviewers always have their own opinions and frankly I find DPR's supposed "bias" to be more a case of legitimate criticism.

I also know there are some individuals on this forum who, for some complex psychological reasons that I can only guess at, feel the need to engage in p*ssing contests with the reviewers. Unfortunately, the reviewers sometimes rise to the bait, which only encourages these individuals.

For example, the 'legitimate criticism' of the 1D X's AF system for selecting the closest subject when set to 61-pt auto? Apparently, Canon failed because the camera performed as designed and explicitly as stated it's supposed to by Canon.

I also know there are some individuals on this forum who, for very prosaic psychological reasons, believe everything they read on the Internet. The fact that the word gullible isn't in the dictionary only encourages these individuals.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
BillB said:
YuengLinger said:
IglooEater said:
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
mukul said:
trollers keep trolling

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1547861226/canon-and-sony-dominate-lensrentals-most-rented-gear-of-2017-list

dpreview was cute. canon has 14 spots, sony as only 4. yet canon AND sony dominate lensrentals...

Yes.

I think it goes back to DPReview falling in love with the Exmor sensor and Sony's mirrorless technology, and then starting to use Dynamic Range to describe shadow lifting at base ISO. DR became a magic number and Sony's DR was higher than Canon's, and that was pretty much all that mattered. Things have pretty much gone downhill from there, or at least that is my take on it.

I'd agree with that.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
unfocused said:
i think some people are hypersensitive to any criticism of Canon and when reviewers point out things they see as flaws, too many people are ready to jump all over the review and claim bias. But the fact is, reviewers always have their own opinions and frankly I find DPR's supposed "bias" to be more a case of legitimate criticism.

I also know there are some individuals on this forum who, for some complex psychological reasons that I can only guess at, feel the need to engage in p*ssing contests with the reviewers. Unfortunately, the reviewers sometimes rise to the bait, which only encourages these individuals.

For example, the 'legitimate criticism' of the 1D X's AF system for selecting the closest subject when set to 61-pt auto? Apparently, Canon failed because the camera performed as designed and explicitly as stated it's supposed to by Canon.

I also know there are some individuals on this forum who, for very prosaic psychological reasons, believe everything they read on the Internet. The fact that the word gullible isn't in the dictionary only encourages these individuals.

actually a good example was how important DR was on the 7D Mark II and the 1DX Mark II (and 1DX) yet it was decided it was not an important factor when it came to the Nikon D5.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
rrcphoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
unfocused said:

actually a good example was how important DR was on the 7D Mark II and the 1DX Mark II (and 1DX) yet it was decided it was not an important factor when it came to the Nikon D5.

No, DPR made it clear how DR wasn't as important for the D5 target audience. Apparently the 1D X is aimed at a different audience. That's just legitimate criticism, not bias or anything. ;)

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
BillB said:
I can see that, but also add that many reviewers seem more oriented to technical details, and minutia that, for most users, get used a very small fraction of the time and put little emphasis on items that may be a bit boring but get used by most users all of the time. So, DR, high FPS, # AF points (past a certain point), flip screens, 120/240/xxx FPS in video, etc get dwelled upon, while ergonomics, durability, dependability, customer support, menu systems, AF consistency, etc hardly get mentioned. This isn't just DPReview.

Also common with reviewers is that they focus on items that are quantifiable like DR (thanks to DXO and others) for sensor, or sharpness for lenses. It is the "holy cow I can put a number to it and tell you XX has a higher number than YY" syndrome. But, of course, those tend to be in vacuums and ignore other facets of the camera/lens.

Also with DPReview, I find that they write from a perspective that is very centric to them, to someone that picks up and plays with multiple cameras for a couple of days to weeks and then puts them down and moves on. I really think they would benefit from considering the perspectives of different audiences. Those of us that are highly invested in current systems but might upgrade, those that are considering buying into a new system, or those that could care less about a "system" and just want a camera and if it is an ILC, might never buy more than the kit lens.

In short, for the longest time, I just found DPReview's comments to not be relevant to any decision that I would be making. In fairness, the last couple of reviews I've read are a bit better and they have added some tools or are using tools a bit more that are useful. So, IMO, there is hope.

But this is why I've always liked The-Digital-Picture and Dustin Abbott also does a nice job of talking about things that are relevant to decisions that I am making. Just to name two that like.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
BillB said:
YuengLinger said:
IglooEater said:
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
mukul said:
trollers keep trolling

Yes.

I'd agree with that.

It might have something to do with shooting paid infocommercials for Sony and Nikon, if my memory serves me correctly.

Upvote 0