The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming next month [CR2]

Sep 11, 2012
I think thats what he meant.

And I agree - in studio light it would be very usefull if I could lock the aperture to the actual aperture I dialed in =)
I don't agree, i prefer to have aperture open for focussing , and stopping down only for actual exposure.Like a DSLR. In fact that was my main reason to switch back from Sony, that works with stopped down focussing. I never felt confident where I was actually focussing when using smaller apertures. And no, depth of field won't fix that..

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Your best bet would be to email Canon Japan via their website directly.

I had to use google translate and simpler english so it doesn't get lost in translation.

It seems Canon Japan is more "connected" with their engineers.

A few months back I contacted them with feedback regarding the overheating issue. And they actually told me that they'll get back to me 2 weeks later. Which was the very date the firmware that improved overheat times was released.

They also say that they'll pass on all feedback to their engineering team. I'm not sure if Canon USA does that.
Thanks, aeronium, for your post!

I went ahead to the canon.jp site (with translation) and submitted a request for them to add "aperture bracketing" to a future R5 firmware update. Who knows if anything will happen, but there may be a better chance that this actually gets through to the people making such decisions. So thank you again for your post! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Unfortunately I do not know where I can 'flood' Canon with wishes. Maybe someone gives me a tip? I am CPS Platinum Customer btw.
select R5 then select Support. Fill in the email address information and then add your comment in the proper place. You will get an automated receipt and then a response normally within 24 hours. And may I ask you to include the need for "Save and restore settings to card" option?

Upvote 0
What? I haven’t used an R5, yet, but that’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever heard. At least give the option to choose which way you want it to work.

As a user of EVF cameras since a while back, having it the other way around is way dumber. Having the set depth-of-field visible requires your lens to be stopped down, reducing the light coming to the focusing system. And it completely kills working with flash as all you get is a dark viewfinder. This was one of those mistakes that were made in the early EVF/mirrorless cameras and thankfully quickly rectified.

But it should be an option as there are some benefits. And while we're looking at doing that, an option to step down to an aperture chosen by the user other than the set aperture might be useful. I might want to use f/2 on a given f/1.4 lens for focusing while shooting at f/4.

Upvote 0

Peterm

M50 and EOS R
Mar 14, 2018
Australia
– more customizable buttons. The R6 is worse than my R :(
Or at least make it possible to change the parameters with the joystick (up-aperture, down-reset aperture, left-shutter speed, .., middle button reset all, back dial: iso, control ring: exposure compensation)
Yes. As a wildlife photographer I find the joystick useless - the R wheel was much better because it could be customised. More buttons were customisable as well.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I don't agree, i prefer to have aperture open for focussing , and stopping down only for actual exposure.Like a DSLR. In fact that was my main reason to switch back from Sony, that works with stopped down focussing. I never felt confident where I was actually focussing when using smaller apertures. And no, depth of field won't fix that..
Yes, true, focusing and noise free preview is better with open Aperture.
But it should be possible to just switch between OPEN and ACTUAL apurture :)

The image changes noteable with closed down aperture. Not only DOF, its als chromatic aberation, vignetting, overall brightness and color shifts. Simple a option like "hold down aperture preview button too keep aperture closed down" would fix this =)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
seems like all these ANIMAL SHOOTERS do is whine and complain? they need there own camera division or something lol
no camera is perfect either enjoy the camera or return or sell them and wait for ya perfect camera or go back too your prior camera if you still have it
some of these so called shooters need too know the R5/R6 are more geared toward shooting PEOPLE mostly not fully animals

Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
Yes, true, focusing and noise free preview is better with open Aperture.
But it should be possible to just switch between OPEN and ACTUAL apurture :)

The image changes noteable with closed down aperture. Not only DOF, its als chromatic aberation, vignetting, overall brightness and color shifts. Simple a option like "hold down aperture preview button too keep aperture closed down" would fix this =)

The DOF preview on the R5 is far better and easier to use than on any DSLR I've ever owned. The viewfinder stays bright and it's well located. I think Canon got that one right.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
compared with my 5d4, it seems like auto focus on the R5 continues for much longer after the shot. when i bring the R5 down off the target to review the photos, i get to hear auto focus slewing my lens to get my feet in focus. might be nice to have a natural way to get autofocus to stop after shooting is done.

I take it you aren't using back-button focus?

Upvote 0