The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming next month [CR2]

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Does pixel shift make gigantic files? If so, I'd rather have multi-shot noise reduction that writes to .cr3 instead of .jpg. I've tried multi-exposure with 3 exposures averaged into one final image as a workaround, but that doesn't work--it causes DR to plummet.
You can just average ('stack', if you want to use a different method) images with Photoshop (convert layers into a single smart object and choose the right blend mode under the smart object options) or specialized astro tools like Sequator (free and easy to use).

Don't expect to much of a difference with just three shots, as noise is reduced by the square root of the images you put into. So for 1/2 the noise, you need 4 images. For 1/3, 9 and 1/4 16 and so on.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
PLEASE fix the IS “always on” with EF lenses, this drains the battery big time. It should only come onwhen you’re initiating AF.

I think you can change this under Camera (Red menu) in page 7. Select IS (Image Stabilizer) mode, then select Still photo IS = Only for shot instead of Always.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Absolutely. The WYSIWYG mirrorless advantage isn't fully realized with Canon taking more of a DSLR approach where the scene is presented wide open.
But if you close the lens down the AF gets castrated, that is why there is a DOF preview button, is pressing a button really that onerous?

Any way you look at it AF systems work better with more light, I’d take the optimal AF performance and DOF preview over stopped down AF where focus accuracy takes a hit any day.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
compared with my 5d4, it seems like auto focus on the R5 continues for much longer after the shot. when i bring the R5 down off the target to review the photos, i get to hear auto focus slewing my lens to get my feet in focus. might be nice to have a natural way to get autofocus to stop after shooting is done.
See my post earlier in thread.. might be the setting you need. Had similar irk, but maybe I am reading your post wrong

Upvote 0
You can just average ('stack', if you want to use a different method) images with Photoshop (convert layers into a single smart object and choose the right blend mode under the smart object options) or specialized astro tools like Sequator (free and easy to use).

Don't expect to much of a difference with just three shots, as noise is reduced by the square root of the images you put into. So for 1/2 the noise, you need 4 images. For 1/3, 9 and 1/4 16 and so on.
Cool--I'll definitely experiment with that. But it'd be nice to achieve such a thing in-camera and NOT have to drag around 9 times the shots for every image.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I use the rate button all the time, especially after a day of birding in 20FPS mode.. /s

Still, it's kind of strange that you cannot reassign the rate button...but you can assign OTHER buttons to "Rate," I guess just in case you need more than the one rate button you had when you opened the box.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Still, it's kind of strange that you cannot reassign the rate button...but you can assign OTHER buttons to "Rate," I guess just in case you need more than the one rate button you had when you opened the box.

I can never have enough rate buttons. Especially after a good day when I’m chImping through 3,000 images on the LCD on the back of my camera.

..as if my blind eyes can see anything back there to begin with...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I want a proper LARGE level screen like my mkIV.

The other thing I want is a bit more obscure: I want a button to override the EVF to brighten or dim the EVF by a preset amount.

When I am shooting outdoors with fill flash the shadow areas are naturally blocked up when using exposure simulation. I would like to be able to bump the brightness of the EVF 2 or 3 stops (settable) so I can see into the shadows for details like facial expressions etc.

My other wish is for CR to lose the mad amount of scripts jamming up my browser.

Upvote 0