The next Canon EOS R5 firmware update is coming next month [CR2]

But if you close the lens down the AF gets castrated, that is why there is a DOF preview button, is pressing a button really that onerous?

Any way you look at it AF systems work better with more light, I’d take the optimal AF performance and DOF preview over stopped down AF where focus accuracy takes a hit any day.

I agree with what you're saying. I just wish there was a mode (say as part of exp sim) where the lens would stay stopped down at your set aperture, so you have an accurate sense of DOF, ie for landscape or other still scenes where constant DOF preview is more important than AF.

It's just intriguing to me that Canon chose this approach, and perhaps it was a requirement to catch up in AF?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
A "stupid" question I know has been answered, but I just don't remember the answer.

When this finally does come to pass, I'll want to do the update. But I've not done any of the prior updates--I'm one of those few people who got his R5 on day one. Will it be necessary to do them all in sequence (which would mean they're incremental), or can I just do this one (full update of the entire firmware) ?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
A "stupid" question I know has been answered, but I just don't remember the answer.

When this finally does come to pass, I'll want to do the update. But I've not done any of the prior updates--I'm one of those few people who got his R5 on day one. Will it be necessary to do them all in sequence (which would mean they're incremental), or can I just do this one (full update of the entire firmware) ?
It is pretty rare a firmware does not contain current and past updates in one. If a previous version is required it will be listed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Cant agree more. The lock button is useless to me. I NEVER lock the buttons... would be great if I could map WB to it.
Also, battery in percentage when camera is off would be awesome and no problem to implement.

I find the lock switch is very useful when you have multiple bodies swinging at your sides while you're shooting with a different body. The back dial is particularly prone to being moved as the camera rests on one's hips.

Upvote 0