The predicted first half of 2019 Canon product announcement roadmap

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
i can already hear the internet whimpering start for "8k has to be in every STILLS camera too" ... o_O

It will be interesting to see what Canon does in terms of crop mirrorslappers. "90D" yes or no ... or total shift to mirrorfree EOS M ... looking forward to a new "flagship" EOS M [M5 successor], hope it is fully competitive with Fuji XT3 and upcoming next Sony A#### model. If so, 7D III can stay "on hold" for a long time. :)

I agree, I would like to see a higher end M series camera and a few, not many, very good lenses that are compact. Don't need to be overly fast so size can be kept small.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
An RF ILC Cinema EOS body would be great, but in order for it to add value to the marketplace, it would have to record 4K 60p 10-bit internally. And I just don't see Canon cannibalizing the rest of their cinema lineup with a camera that is 4K 60p sitting below the C200/300 due to their conservative nature. But, as usual, I hope I'm wrong.
I suspect that 80D replacement might be last of its kind.
I suspect that 80D replacement might be last of its kind.
There might not be a lot of design changes, but it seem possible to me that there may be some DSLR's in production for quite a while, or at least available new.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I dont see peopel caring about 8k. Barely any 8k tvs, the difference in quality might small to the eyes, the requirements in storage and processing will greatly increase making it expensive to handle.

Even 4K is just bragging rights. I seriously doubt most people cannot see the difference. 8K is a way to dupe those with more money than brains to part with it. 99.9% of those shooting even 4K have no idea how to do a real quality video production and most 4K I have seen reminds me of the crappy home movies of the 60's. In other words BORING.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I am likely to buy the G7X III, so this is good news. That is the only camera or lens purchase I anticipate for next year, so I am following other reviews and rumors for entertainment value only. Of course I’m open to revising that if something useful to me pops up on the horizon, but think I will spend that money on a Scandinavia trip in the summer, and the new little camera will be my companion.

At the moment I’m in Charleston for a basketball tournament with a friend who got my S95 when I got the G7X II, so this is also good news for him. I’ll give him the S120 when I get the III, and I’ll keep the II as a backup, at least for a while. He has taken some really good pictures with the S95.

Upvote 0
7D Mark III in 2019 is basically a given.

It falls right into their 5 year product-cycle for that particular model (2009, 2014, 2019).

They'll probably announce it in February--after their 2018 fiscal year closes in January--and sell it in September (like the 7DM2).
That way they can report a solid 2019 with all the pre-order and actual sales cash added up.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I'm going through so much phases regarding Canon... Love, hate, hope, disbelief, trust, confidence, disapointment, resignation...
It looks so close to grieving stages that I'm starting to feel I must turn the Canon page.

Please do. Everyone should choose the equipment that works for them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Even 4K is just bragging rights. I seriously doubt most people cannot see the difference. 8K is a way to dupe those with more money than brains to part with it. 99.9% of those shooting even 4K have no idea how to do a real quality video production and most 4K I have seen reminds me of the crappy home movies of the 60's. In other words BORING.
Exactly. 4K is seriously expensive to set up (memory cards, storage, powerful enough PC) and unless people are creating serious content (for example, anything broadcast quality for terrestrial TV, Netflix etc.) it’s totally wasted on vloggers with their YouTube accounts. Even if we all had 4K TV’s, HD is still more than impressive enough for the next camera guru YouTube channel. Still, as you mention, unless the videographer trully understands how to create quality video content (lighting, exposure, framing, content, sound, graphics & editing) 4K is a complete waste of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
I think the long-rumored non-L supertele zoom (eg 200-600) will make an appearance on RF mount with f/6.3 at the far end, so something like an RF 200-600 f/4.5-6.3 IS - once they have a faster camera suitable for wildlife enthusiasts.

i agree in terms of RF and timing. But don't think they'll go to f/6.3 ... it will be called f/5.6 (in reality f/5.99 or so).

Upvote 0