The predicted first half of 2019 Canon product announcement roadmap

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
With the Olympics coming up in 2020, are we going to start seeing Canon 8K components and lenses? I think that all the major Camera manufacturers have committed to 8K for the Olympics.

Its possible that the 8K cameras will still be more prototype than production, but there seems to be a lot of silence about Canon 8K products. Canon lenses are usually used for broadcast at the Olympics, even on Sony cameras, so it seems that its time for 8K lenses to start appearing or at least development announcements.

8K in smaller camera bodies will give you hot stuff - literally. You will need to take ice packs with you to cool your camera frequently when shooting video.

Upvote 0
I think the long-rumored non-L supertele zoom (eg 200-600) will make an appearance on RF mount with f/6.3 at the far end, so something like an RF 200-600 f/4.5-6.3 IS - once they have a faster camera suitable for wildlife enthusiasts.

I was about to make a point on the -5EV focusing on AAAARRRRR (thats the pirate version of the R) - but I'm wrong arn't I? The -5EV thing was only for fast lenses?

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Even 4K is just bragging rights. I seriously doubt most people cannot see the difference. 8K is a way to dupe those with more money than brains to part with it. 99.9% of those shooting even 4K have no idea how to do a real quality video production and most 4K I have seen reminds me of the crappy home movies of the 60's. In other words BORING.
4K is like a crisper more detailed 1080. i dont know much about all the HDR stuff and if it will matter to people.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
4K is like a crisper more detailed 1080. i dont know much about all the HDR stuff and if it will matter to people.

Yes, but unless you're viewing a 4k video at full screen and less than 15 inches from your screen, it's almost indistinguishable from
good 1080p. YouTube compression and its small viewing format make 4k unnecessary.

Bur of course the 4k badge sells cameras, even if 99% of consumers will never appreciate the resolution advantage.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Remember, with 8K video you don't need to be a photographer any more :) Simply record everything and take 30+ megapixel image frames out of the video feed.

Yes, I'm being a little flippant, but it clearly is a useful option, even 4K video gives you 8mpx frames which are perfectly useful for most things.

I doubt 8K video will hit prosumer cameras for another 5 years or so. But you can be sure it'll be on a cellphone 2 years before that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Remember, with 8K video you don't need to be a photographer any more :) Simply record everything and take 30+ megapixel image frames out of the video feed.

Yes, I'm being a little flippant, but it clearly is a useful option, even 4K video gives you 8mpx frames which are perfectly useful for most things.

I doubt 8K video will hit prosumer cameras for another 5 years or so. But you can be sure it'll be on a cellphone 2 years before that.
No, video frame grabs are a pretty weak substitute for high speed photography due to the different shutter speeds commonly used.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I agree, I would like to see a higher end M series camera and a few, not many, very good lenses that are compact. Don't need to be overly fast so size can be kept small.
I have to second this. I'm looking for a higher specced M5/M6 replacement (also c-log would be nice since I do a lot of video). I plan on buying the 32mm f/1.4 next month & already have the 22mm f/2.0. A 85mm equivalent with a low f-stop and a quality zoom for some run & gun work and I'm never leaving the M system.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The EOS R does have a crisp 1080p in crop mode.
While it is 30p only and worse rolling shutter, this is the first camera since the 1DC (in S35mm mode) to have anything like that, so we may see it in future cameras as well.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
No, video frame grabs are a pretty weak substitute for high speed photography due to the different shutter speeds commonly used.

Of course, it's not going to replace photography. But if you're doing a video of an event (maybe not something as critical as a wedding) and shoot it in 4K, maybe you don't need a photographer as well, you just take frames out of the video. Depends on final requirements for the imagery of course.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Of course, it's not going to replace photography. But if you're doing a video of an event (maybe not something as critical as a wedding) and shoot it in 4K, maybe you don't need a photographer as well, you just take frames out of the video. Depends on final requirements for the imagery of course.
That is exactly what Canon tried to imply when they brought out the 1DC with 4k, it was a failure for stills shooters as very quickly people previously unfamiliar with video realized the constraints, shutter speed and constant light sources being the two biggest.

I'm not saying nobody has done it successfully, but it hasn't become a popular workflow despite the vast arrange of 4k and above capable cameras. I played with it with my 1DX MkII's, but I didn't like it and the results weren't particularly good, and as you rightly point out, the results are very limited to types of output, facebook, web, forums etc it works great, decent sized prints, lots of post processing etc not so much. And lets not forget few cameras currently shoot 4k and above in mpeg RAW, almost all are limited to jpeg bit depth.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
The EOS R does have a crisp 1080p in crop mode.
While it is 30p only and worse rolling shutter, this is the first camera since the 1DC (in S35mm mode) to have anything like that, so we may see it in future cameras as well.

It would be nice to see Canon put some of their video expertise into the R series cameras. Their Cinema cameras would not be hurt as they are still a world apart. As to lower end consumer video cameras just combine the higher end video Canon has into the M series, Powershot and future Rebel R cameras and do away completely with the consumer dedicated video cameras. This would be a win win for the consumer and Canon. And get that global shutter up and running ASAP and Zebra.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It would be nice to see Canon put some of their video expertise into the R series cameras. Their Cinema cameras would not be hurt as they are still a world apart. As to lower end consumer video cameras just combine the higher end video Canon has into the M series, Powershot and future Rebel R cameras and do away completely with the consumer dedicated video cameras. This would be a win win for the consumer and Canon. And get that global shutter up and running ASAP and Zebra.
Their Cinema cameras would be hurt somewhat, if the 1DX II had the C-Log Profile so I wonder what they will do with their Pro EOS R camera if it gets the same sensor (with 4k 60p or FHD 120p), maybe they will the time has come to give a few more features at that price level to their users.
They will continue to add features, but at quite a moderate rate and have clear distinctions between their models, that will not change fundamentally, only they will be a little bit more universal than they used to.
Stills cameras will not get a video-centric low megapixel sensor for instance or other C-Line features. Global shutter very far away at this point(even most of their video cameras use a rolling shutter, Sony even retired their F55 with the global shutter), just too many compromises and too not cost-effective, it needs a much bigger chassis with active cooling and much less megapixels, good for a C700, not so good for a small mirrorless camera.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Are people really talking about 8K video in stills cameras? 4K isn’t even really an essential yet for consumers, least of all vloggers (although lots of people are demanding it). I imagine the first 8K camera would have people moaning it’s only crop and no 60p 18bit ;-).

8K video will us 32 MP stills. I'll take that.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2018
argh.... canon is moving too slow for me.
the rumor mill said we will see a new M5 this year.... but nothing.

im happy with my 5D MK4 for now but i want a lighter travel cam.
i have a A6000 for that... and i would replace it with a good M5 MK2.

but now it seems i have to stick with sony for APS-C and maybe buy that rumored A7000 when it is released before christmas (rumor).

i wish that canon would act a bit faster.
but i can´t/won´t wait until may/june

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
argh.... canon is moving too slow for me.
the rumor mill said we will see a new M5 this year.... but nothing.

im happy with my 5D MK4 for now but i want a lighter travel cam.
i have a A6000 for that... and i would replace it with a good M5 MK2.

but now it seems i have to stick with sony for APS-C and maybe buy that rumored A7000 when it is released before christmas (rumor).

i wish that canon would act a bit faster.
but i can´t/won´t wait until may/june

If you can't wait until next year (which is when the rumors have always indicated two new M cameras (not this year), then yes, buy something else - although you can still buy the existing M5 for a greatly reduced price in many locations (there was recently a $400 rebate). Considering (I believe) it is only a 2 year old camera, I guess Canon will always move too slow for you.

Upvote 0