The TIPA and EISA Award Winners Have Been Announced

dak723 said:
When I was choosing between the 6D and the Sony A7 II, the 6D gave me better looking photos, was easier to use and to hold, better AF, better exposure metering. I would be monumentally surprised if the next gen Sony was noticeably better than it's predecessor, so I'm pretty sure that today the choice between the 6D II and the Sony A7 III would be just as favorable for the Canon.
I use a Canon 6D and was all primed and ready to purchase the Mark II but was surprised at what a sorry upgrade it was. Sure it takes fine photos, but I didn't feel it was enough of an upgrade to make the purchase. There is no comparison between the 6D II and the Sony A7III. I'm hoping Canon's first full frame mirrorless can measure up to the Sony A7III. In the meantime, I'm using both Canon and Sony and Canon glass on both. I have to admit that probably 75% of my shooting is switched over to the Sony, but I really hope Canon can step up to the plate before the end of 2018 with their upcoming mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
KirkD said:
Sure it takes fine photos, but I didn't feel it was enough of an upgrade to make the purchase.

Many people think that camera manufacturers release new models to get people to upgrade. Wrong. The overriding market is an updated model for people lower down the chain to upgrade to - for example APS-C to intro level FF, not 6D to 6DII.
If you want a genuine upgrade go to 5D level.

I'm hoping Canon's first full frame mirrorless can measure up to the Sony A7III.
What do you mean by 'measure up'? Full feature set - fat chance. A good solid imaging machine - high probability.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Quirkz said:
There’s just this weird perception that the 6D II is a bad camera just because everyone expected it to have improved low iso dr. Even though everyone who actually owns and uses one says it’s excellent.

I don’t get why the interwebz hates on it so much.

Perception?

LOL

Any knowledgeable camerman can see how hard canon tried to keep this from encroaching the 5d4. Yeah, that's a great way to spend two grand, when the latest sony utterly embarrasses the camera in tech alone. The problem with the 5d being such an iconic line, is that now canon will put an old tech camera on the market for 3 years just to keep a market away from it. Totally ridiculous, and the execs already admitted to the pathetic behavior.

I love my canon gear, but no, with this nonsense, they shall not pass!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

(where's that darn wizard when you need him?)

Upvote 0
First off these awards are total crap. Looking at it its seems pretty obvious they make up the category to hand out the award to each item.

ashmadux said:
Perception?

LOL

Any knowledgeable camerman can see how hard canon tried to keep this from encroaching the 5d4. Yeah, that's a great way to spend two grand, when the latest sony utterly embarrasses the camera in tech alone. The problem with the 5d being such an iconic line, is that now canon will put an old tech camera on the market for 3 years just to keep a market away from it. Totally ridiculous, and the execs already admitted to the pathetic behavior.

I love my canon gear, but no, with this nonsense, they shall not pass!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

(where's that darn wizard when you need him?)

Canon and every other company especially tech companies have been handicapping lower products to protect higher ones forever. Sony appears to be doing what is a called “buying in”. Which is to lower the price of a product and minimize profits (or even sell at a small loss) to be more competitive to gain market share and/or gain follow on sales. They do this because they have to. Nikon has been try to keep up with Sony and get market share from Canon by doing the same thing. Nikon is almost to the point where they are going to go out of business. Their (Nikon) sales have not increased, they have actually decreased and now they are making less money per camera, to the point where they will be out of business on the near future.

KirkD said:
dak723 said:
When I was choosing between the 6D and the Sony A7 II, the 6D gave me better looking photos, was easier to use and to hold, better AF, better exposure metering. I would be monumentally surprised if the next gen Sony was noticeably better than it's predecessor, so I'm pretty sure that today the choice between the 6D II and the Sony A7 III would be just as favorable for the Canon.
I use a Canon 6D and was all primed and ready to purchase the Mark II but was surprised at what a sorry upgrade it was. Sure it takes fine photos, but I didn't feel it was enough of an upgrade to make the purchase. There is no comparison between the 6D II and the Sony A7III. I'm hoping Canon's first full frame mirrorless can measure up to the Sony A7III. In the meantime, I'm using both Canon and Sony and Canon glass on both. I have to admit that probably 75% of my shooting is switched over to the Sony, but I really hope Canon can step up to the plate before the end of 2018 with their upcoming mirrorless.

I owned the 6d and now own the 6dii. As started earlier all the complaining about 6dii is form non-6dii owners. People point to one thing mostly using DxOmark (who are worthless) to say the camera is crap. There are very limited situations where the 6d may perform better. I have not in my course of shooting come across a situation where the 6dii was not better than the original. I have tried to use the A7 III and am very glad I got the 6dii. There are so many things that Canon just does well that you do not even realize until you try a different brand in my experience. I would decently recommend the 6dii to anyone looking for an inexpensive FF.

Upvote 0
kkamena said:
I owned the 6d and now own the 6dii. As started earlier all the complaining about 6dii is form non-6dii owners. People point to one thing mostly using DxOmark (who are worthless) to say the camera is crap. There are very limited situations where the 6d may perform better. I have not in my course of shooting come across a situation where the 6dii was not better than the original. I have tried to use the A7 III and am very glad I got the 6dii. There are so many things that Canon just does well that you do not even realize until you try a different brand in my experience. I would decently recommend the 6dii to anyone looking for an inexpensive FF.
I certainly would not say the 6D II is "crap". Apart from no 4k video, I was disappointed in the dynamic range of its sensor .. the same as the 6D (which I already have), and I shoot a lot outdoors in low light. Are you sure you "tried to use the A7III"? They are not expected to start shipping until May 1.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
dak723 said:
Quirkz said:
There’s just this weird perception that the 6D II is a bad camera just because everyone expected it to have improved low iso dr. Even though everyone who actually owns and uses one says it’s excellent.

Because Canon is the most successful camera company and people love to tear down what is at the top.
Because the techno-geeks only care about new and exciting - and all the review sites are run by techno-geeks.
Because people read the review sites and then act like moronic sheep, mindlessly repeating what the reviewers say.
more like the richest camera manufacturer onthe planet is the least innovative and stingiest. you have all the smaller companies trying their hardest to produce new features and use more advanced technology.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Mikehit said:
KirkD said:
Sure it takes fine photos, but I didn't feel it was enough of an upgrade to make the purchase.

Many people think that camera manufacturers release new models to get people to upgrade. Wrong. The overriding market is an updated model for people lower down the chain to upgrade to - for example APS-C to intro level FF, not 6D to 6DII.
If you want a genuine upgrade go to 5D level.

I'm hoping Canon's first full frame mirrorless can measure up to the Sony A7III.
What do you mean by 'measure up'? Full feature set - fat chance. A good solid imaging machine - high probability.

Sometimes I feel like I must be crazy or something.

If a camera takes fine pictures, why buy a new camera at all? If a new version takes fine pictures... isn't that the prime requisite of a good camera?

I don't want my camera to do anything OTHER than take fine pictures... I guess I am weird that way.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
RayValdez360 said:
dak723 said:
Quirkz said:

Because Canon is the most successful camera company and people love to tear down what is at the top.
Because the techno-geeks only care about new and exciting - and all the review sites are run by techno-geeks.
Because people read the review sites and then act like moronic sheep, mindlessly repeating what the reviewers say.
more like the richest camera manufacturer onthe planet is the least innovative and stingiest. you have all the smaller companies trying their hardest to produce new features and use more advanced technology.

First, why do you care how profitable your camera manufacturer is, or how much money they make off your camera? I mean, do you ask that when you buy a cup of coffee, a car, a refrigerator, or a house?

Second, I think that everyone who is seriously interested in photography should choose the system that best suits them, whether it is Canon, Sony, Olympus, or whatever. At the end of the day the camera you are comfortable with is the better camera, especially for non-professionals.

However: single camera system owners should look at a camera as an investment in a system of 10+ years because that is at least how long good glass is current for -- and perhaps twice that or more -- and there is no reason that a $2k+ camera shouldn't be perfectly usable after 5-10 years.

Frankly, I have no idea why people want to upgrade camera bodies every couple of years. I mean, don't they have anything else they would rather spend money on... lenses... lighting... birthday gift for wife...

Upvote 0
Frankly, I have no idea why people want to upgrade camera bodies every couple of years. I mean, don't they have anything else they would rather spend money on... lenses... lighting... birthday gift for wife...

It's an addiction and or obsession, a psychological trap or hole one falls in to.....when all one really needs to do is focus on their art and create some great photographs with the gear they do have, rather than worrying that it isn't high tech enough! sheesh!.

I can't remember one time 30 or so years ago where I seen a photographer stuff two rolls of film in his camera just in case one roll failed....now days people freak out over a camera with only one card slot! LOL

I'm one of the fools that bought a 6D Mark ii last year when it was released after reading all the negative comments about it and watching all the bashing hate videos about it on youtube. I now probably need to see a psychiatrists because I absolutely enjoy using it and I get fantastic images with it (perhaps I need to have my eyes tested too).

I have a pile of prints from a second hand 5 mega pixel Kodak that I took around 2002 that actually look pretty good but because of the Sony A7iii I probably should just throw them out because they are not keepers anymore....

But in the meanwhile I'll just use my 6D mark ii and my 80D and enjoy what I like doing.....and that's taking the best and coolest images that I am able too with the gear that I have!

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
Mikehit said:
The Fat Fish said:
How serious are these awards if even the 6DII get's one?

Why doesn't it deserve one?

Because it was the most criticised camera of the last decade? It was not a good release for it's price or release year. From a personal perspective, I had saved up for the 6DII in anticipation for it's announcement and then on release I have never been so disappointed. Admittedly I am a 6D user so the reasons to upgrade are almost none.

The 6DII was two features short of what it should have been as a $2000 2017 camera. There were three that users expected.

1) Improved DR inline with the 5DIV and 80D.

This is the biggest let down for most as there's absolutely no reason for not doing it. It's their latest camera, the original 6D had better DR than the 5DIII and it was something praised on the 80D and 5DIV.

2) 4K Video

As a 2017 camera this was expected by many. Of course the 5DIV's less than ideal 4K video implementation indicated the 6DII would suffer also, many including me had hoped Canon would swallow their pride and offer it.

3) Dual card slots

This is a bit of a "bonus feature" but one Sony and Nikon don't have an issue putting in $2000 cameras.

The 6DII needed any two of these features in my opinion. The reason they were held back are largely due to the inflated price of the 5DIV. Looking at the $2000 market today, the 5DIV should have been the 6DII.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Mikehit said:
tcphoto said:
Since when is the 6DII a professional tool?

The award said 'Expert' - so I suggest you improve your reading skills.

And why would a professional not use it?

One card slot
Poor dynamic range
No auto brightness on rear lcd
Relative light weight
Polycarbonate top plate
Rear screen tilt and swivel
Only 132 AF points
Viewfinder only shows 99% of the picture
Costs less than £3,000
Off chip A/D converter can cause depression with prolonged use
Tony and Chelsea don’t like it
Ken does
Has “6D” written on the front

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The Fat Fish said:
Looking at the $2000 market today, the 5DIV should have been the 6DII.

Except that the 5DIV is a perennial favorite in its class, and sells for a thousand bucks more.

The biggest problem with the 6DII is that there's a chunk of people who didn't want a 6DII at all. They just wanted a 5DIV for $2,000, and feel entitled to a professional tool for $2,000, because everything that's technology is supposed to get cheaper.

The same group is overjoyed at the A7M3 featureset, because they can go, "For most people the A7iii is virtually identical for a thousand bucks less". Will A7M3 + A7R3 sales meet Sony's expectations, and change the market such that Canon and Nikon are forced to add more features into a $2000 camera? Or, will it not move the needle much because the $2,000 camera body market is pretty small, and Sony will just screw themselves out of some potential $3,000 camera sales -- and Canon and Nikonn just go about their product differentiation as usual? Or will a lot of the people who are overjoyed not even be in the market for an "expert" type camera, and just like to grandstand on the Internet?

Only time will tell.

Upvote 0
The Fat Fish said:
The 6DII was two features short of what it should have been as a $2000 2017 camera. There were three that users expected.

This is the biggest let down for most as there's absolutely no reason for not doing it. It's their latest camera, the original 6D had better DR than the 5DIII and it was something praised on the 80D and 5DIV.

2) 4K Video

As a 2017 camera this was expected by many. Of course the 5DIV's less than ideal 4K video implementation indicated the 6DII would suffer also, many including me had hoped Canon would swallow their pride and offer it.

3) Dual card slots

This is a bit of a "bonus feature" but one Sony and Nikon don't have an issue putting in $2000 cameras.

The 6DII needed any two of these features in my opinion.

Nailed it.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
The Fat Fish said:
Mikehit said:
The Fat Fish said:
How serious are these awards if even the 6DII get's one?

Why doesn't it deserve one?

Because it was the most criticised camera of the last decade? It was not a good release for it's price or release year. From a personal perspective, I had saved up for the 6DII in anticipation for it's announcement and then on release I have never been so disappointed. Admittedly I am a 6D user so the reasons to upgrade are almost none.

2) 4K Video

3) Dual card slots

The 6DII needed any two of these features in my opinion. The reason they were held back are largely due to the inflated price of the 5DIV. Looking at the $2000 market today, the 5DIV should have been the 6DII.

And the criticism was by a bunch of trolls who had never used it, who had set their own design specifications and as a result the camera was not what they thought it should have been. That does not stop it being a good camera for making pictures.

Upvote 0