There are reports of the RF 85mm f/2 IS STM landing next week

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM was announced alongside the EOS R5 and EOS R6 back in July and had a shipping estimate of October. It looks like it’s on schedule, as I’ve received two reports of the lens hitting the shores of Australia this week and it will likely be in customers’ hands next week.
Adorama is still showing a ship date of November 2, 2020, but I think folks that preordered what will definitely be a popular lens will be getting there’s before then.
If you preordered one and you’ve received a shipping notification, please let me know.
Canon RF 85mm f/2 IS STM at Adorama

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I called Canon about cancelling an order and to make sure my preorder for the RF 85 f2 was still good he did not give me a time date other than your order for the RF 85 f2 is in cue by the way I was on hold a good 30 minutes waiting for someone a little excessive
On the other hand, Canon might think it is "a little excessive" for customers to be constantly calling to ask, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"
Not singling you out! Just saying their call centers must be overwhelmed by the number of people calling just to ask about order status and product availability. I'd guess some customers call often!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
This lens is great for the price, however the 35mm sucks with it's slow af and moving barrell.

Hard disagree. The RF 35mm is both very good optically and exceptionally versatile due to its close focus capabilities. While the AF speed is not laser fast, unless you are going from macro range to long distance, AF is actually very quick. So if you're shooting candid portraits or street shooting, the AF is plenty fast enough.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Mr.Burberry

EOS man
CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
U.S.A.
Hard disagree. The RF 35mm is both very good optically and exceptionally versatile due to its close focus capabilities. While the AF speed is not laser fast, unless you are going from macro range to long distance, AF is actually very quick. So if you're shooting candid portraits or street shooting, the AF is plenty fast enough.
Yep, absolutely agree. I also find such smooth autofocus is being pleasing for video work.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
These days there are rumors for development announcement then for the actual announcement and then one more when the product announced 6 months ago actually lands in shops :)

Joke aside, usually "cheaper" non-L lenses used to be available quite soon after announcements. I'm surprised this one took so long. Probably because of Covid.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I haven't tried this particular lens, but having enjoyed so many different Canon lenses over so many years, I tend to believe this report!

Upvote 0
This lens is great for the price, however the 35mm sucks with it's slow af and moving barrell.

I guess we may be in the minority here, I also experienced more-than-expected focus hunting in a variety of scenarios, at least on the regular R body with stills, I didn't use it with video or the R6/R5 bodies, and the firmware on both the body and lens were up-to-date.

Jay Henington from SLR Lounge noted autofocus issues which I can relate to: "There were multiple instances where I had to try over and over again to get the lens to auto-focus while using the outer focus points. This isn’t a big deal if you’re shooting still portraits, but it can be frustrating if you’re trying to capture a candid moment and just can’t lock focus."

Alik Griffin also noted this to some degree: " I have had a few issues with missed shots but the lens is a macro, so when you’re shooting things very close it can take some time before focus is acquired or sometimes tracking will lag if something is moving towards you, especially in video. My biggest issues with missed focus usually happen when I’m zone focusing with tracking, which I think is more of a Canon R issue than a lens issue "

Upvote 0