There are reports of the RF 85mm f/2 IS STM landing next week

Hard disagree. The RF 35mm is both very good optically and exceptionally versatile due to its close focus capabilities. While the AF speed is not laser fast, unless you are going from macro range to long distance, AF is actually very quick. So if you're shooting candid portraits or street shooting, the AF is plenty fast enough.

Was going to say, I certainly havent noticed it being "slow" when using it, Ive had plenty of L lenses in the past too. The old 85mm 1.8f EF, now that was slow, lots of AF hunting if I recall! Love the 85mm focal length though, really sits in a happy place for me. This RF is very tempting.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Was going to say, I certainly havent noticed it being "slow" when using it, Ive had plenty of L lenses in the past too. The old 85mm 1.8f EF, now that was slow, lots of AF hunting if I recall! Love the 85mm focal length though, really sits in a happy place for me. This RF is very tempting.
I find the EF 85/1.8 to focus very fast on my R, although it was never an issue with my DSLRs. The main issue I have is purple fringing. Could be a little sharper wide open. but at f/2.8 it is excellent.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I find the EF 85/1.8 to focus very fast on my R, although it was never an issue with my DSLRs. The main issue I have is purple fringing. Could be a little sharper wide open. but at f/2.8 it is excellent.

Even with "Drive AF when focus impossible" set to ON, on my R5 the EF85 won't even try to focus unless I bump the focus ring manually. After that it's fast and accurate. But everytime I turn on the camera I get the "Did I hit the AF/MF switch by accident, again?" feeling.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Even with "Drive AF when focus impossible" set to ON, on my R5 the EF85 won't even try to focus unless I bump the focus ring manually. After that it's fast and accurate. But everytime I turn on the camera I get the "Did I hit the AF/MF switch by accident, again?" feeling.
Sounds like yours may have an issue.

Upvote 0
The IQ on the RF L primes is great, but they're no good if you never take the camera outside. Despite having some chunky L glass, currently my most used lenses are my Leica 50mm Summicron-R and Kipon RF 75mm 2.4. Manual focusing on the R has been a revelation. I get the EF 24-70 2.8L ii and 24mm TS-e ii out too when I can be bothered to carry them.

Ha yes I nearly sold my Milvus 50mm a couple of years ago but with real time focus peaking in the EVF on the EOS R its now one of my most used lenses. But this feeds back into your point about a market gap, its a great lens but heavy and big. The 35mm RF is definitely my go-to-lens if I am going to be walking about or cycing and I have no specific photography goal, also think day trips and holidays, I used to use my 24-70 L mkII for that but it gradually lost its appeal (reason why I sold it to fund the EOS R pucrhase), great lens but you feel like a bit of a slave to it. I guess ideally I am looking forward to either the lower-end 50mm RF, the physics of 50mm lends itself to decent quality without anything too complex, or a RF version of the 40mm pancake... provides a touch more width for street stuff and super compact and light!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is an interesting discussion. I'd like a small, sharp, reasonably fast moderate wide for my R, that makes a small take anywhere package. The EF 35/2 IS was great on a dslr (apart from awful coma). However, adapted knto the R, it is moderately bulky. So I had considered the RF 35/1.8, but not after reading this discussion.
The RF 85/2 could replace my 100mm macro and 85/1.8 if sharp wide open for portraits and stopped down for macro.

Why not try the 35mm RF in a shop, I am slightly bemused by some of the negative comments, the focus seems pretty solid to me, ie taking photos of landscapes or city scenes and I did some more recently using the Rs AF face tracking, AIServo mode, of family members on a walk. Sure it's not a wow-pixel-peeping lens and missing the je ne sais quoi of a classic, but perfect for walking about or say on holiday when you dont want your camera gear taking over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0