There is talk of a Canon RF 20-50mm f/4-5.6 IS STM [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here’s an interesting lens design, that would likely be quite compact. Perhaps a ‘pancake’ type zoom for the RF mount in the form of a Canon RF 20-50mm f/4-5.6 IS STM.
I think for such a lens to be desirable, it would definitely have to be extremely small, light and affordable.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
in my opinion this would be a great walkaround lens, getting it wider then 24 is also a cool move since now all the mobile phones also get ultrawide cameras/lenses and like it or not camera manufacturers now need to fight that segment also. If it would be a pancake lens this would be instant buy or best kit lens ever invented.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I disagree. I think it's a great wide to normal range. I understand some have issues with short zoom ranges such as the Sigma 24-35 but it is a very good lens imho. This might be as well.

You’re probably right. With the superior image quality were seeing these days, the ability to crop to size means this is a 20-70 or 20-105.

I predict we will see real digital zoom in the next few years where the sensor crops at the upper end. The key is controlling the zoom based on available image quality and how to set the zoom without fussy added control beyond the manual zoom ring.

I have a patent pending invention for this.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
That sounds more like a (FF?) variation of an 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 Is STM. Something to pair with a super affordable RF camera.

It could be a semi pancake if it also is a collapsing design.

I don't think so if the focal length is really 20-50mm. Maybe will be a cheaper STM lens but 20mm is another world from 18mm (28.8mm).

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
No, because he has stated many times about the R line needing small, light affordable lenses. Now maybe I got it wrong and he meant Primes, not Zooms. My humblest apologies if so kind sir.
I believe there can be no wrong interpretation as he has opined about both small, light & affordables as well as 50mms. Then again, his opining on 50mm was in the realm of the EF, so perhaps it is I that is confused. In which case, sir, it is I who begs forgiveness...

• Love
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0