These are a few of the RF lenses coming in 2021 [CR2]

Feb 22, 2019
Hm, 24mm macro sounds weird for me. Is this a usefull lense? I never heard of anything like that...
It would be super useful for those interested in wide angle macro photography. This is the last frontier of macro photography. 24mm is quite a good focal length for this as it allows plenty of background without the working distance being too short. On lenses like the Laowa 17mm macro, at macro distances the subject is almost touching the front element. AF is especially useful for a wide-angle macro as it can be difficult to see the precise plane of focus in the viewfinder. It will probably only be 1:2, but it would be great if it went 1:1. If it did there would be real interest in it. I can't say this will translate into a huge demand, but photographs from such a lens by skilled macro photographers are likely to be popular.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
+++ Hey, a 600mm f8 non L lens for $999.00 would be great.

yup, it s coming: RF 600 f/11. sorry f/8 is too reach ;)

As long as the price is set for us poor people wanting a long lens.
Is it not a DO, and those seemed to be expensive.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
As long as the price is set for us poor people wanting a long lens.
Is it not a DO, and those seemed to be expensive.
They have made an EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM lens, it wasn't very good, but it was in 2004, technology have gone a long way since them.

So yes, in a much smaller and simpler lens it may not cost that much to produce and it may perform well.
So far, they haven't really missed the marks for most RF lenses, and these new lenses weren't very good in practice, they wouldn't release them in the first place.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
They have made an EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM lens, it wasn't very good, but it was in 2004, technology have gone a long way since them.

So yes, in a much smaller and simpler lens it may not cost that much to produce and it may perform well.
So far, they haven't really missed the marks for most RF lenses, and these new lenses weren't very good in practice, they wouldn't release them in the first place.

The 400 DO version 2 is amazing. Very sharp but also very expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The 400 DO version 2 is amazing. Very sharp but also very expensive.
Yes of course, I just wanted to point out that they can put it in a cheaper lens if they want to.
That being said, if these are sharp lenses, I don't expect the 800mm to be very cheap (maybe around 3000$ for the 800mm and 1500$ for the 600mm? Maybe I'm a bit too optimistic...)

People are not looking at these lenses the right way.
Tthere is no reason to dismiss the EOS R system, because they came out with these f/11 DO lenses, when there are other adapted options available.
But if these lenses are what they need in terms or size weight, photo and video features (including the AF), they don't have any alternatives, this system is what they need. That's probably why they've decided to release them in the first place.

The same is true for the 15-35/2.8 IS and 24-70/2.8 IS, others do not have double stabilisation with these kind of lenses and the 70-200/2.8 IS is smaller and lighter, too. If IBIS is important, then combined IS is also important.

So there are a lot of reasons why one might choose the EOS R system over another one, even though there are not as many RF lenses at this moment in time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Sigma attempt at the full frame 18-35 wound up being their 24-35 Art lens - which is much more of an amazing lens than most people give credit for. That lens is so sharp, the zoom is sharper than even Sigma's own 24mm Art and 35mm Art primes. I owned the primes and sold them when I got the 24-35. This wasn't my intent. I'd picked the zoom up used because it was a stupidly cheap price. Was going to play with it and then flip it.

People tend to complain about the shortness of the zoom range, but there isn't the normal sacrifice in IQ (or in aperture) with this zoom, so it really does replace the primes.

The bad news: they couldn't make it go down to 18 and get the same image quality in full frame, so I'm not expecting them to invent that for RF.

Well if you mention this sharpness of the zoom for its price, then it indeed sounds like a really good catch.
The only thing that bothers me, and you mentioned it already yourself, is the fact that its starting at 24.
You see, I am most likely going to buy a 24-105 RF zoom lens with the upcoming R6. So i'd initially have the 24 to 35mm range already in my kit, except from the lower aperture... If you can convince me that thats worth it either way, ill take the purchase into consideration! ;-)

Upvote 0
The L lenses for 2021 will include an RF24-70mm f4L IS USM and a RF 16-40mm f4L IS USM. These are staples of many landscape photographers & Canon knows it.
how do you know that? just a guess? other info? ;)

I'd love for it to be true though.. high MP Rs and a 16-40mm F4L would be the cats meow for me.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Not really--the lens diameter is one thing, but there are nevertheless multiple different thread diameters in the M lineup. Granted fewer than in EF, but it's enough to be annoying.
not really true though. because all the lenses are the same diameter, you can easily use 55mm step up rings and 55mm lens caps on all EF-M lenses and for most of them, still use the supplied lens hood. and because they are all the same diameter, 55mm caps look pretty good on all of them.

We did an article up on the EOS-M and tips and tricks.. that is talked about there. you may be interested in reading it.

https://www.canonnews.com/canon-eos-m-tips-and-tricks-while-on-the-road

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
not really true though. because all the lenses are the same diameter, you can easily use 55mm step up rings and 55mm lens caps on all EF-M lenses and for most of them, still use the supplied lens hood. and because they are all the same diameter, 55mm caps look pretty good on all of them.

We did an article up on the EOS-M and tips and tricks.. that is talked about there. you may be interested in reading it.

https://www.canonnews.com/canon-eos-m-tips-and-tricks-while-on-the-road

It was interesting indeed. I could have saved some money buying one set of filters.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I suspect they won't release APS-C lenses, and the 18-45 will cover the full image circle for full frame, it might be optimized for APS-C (assuming they release an APS-C R body, which is far from certain) and require some hefty in-camera correction to get it to look reasonable on full frame.
I was hoping for a FF RF17-70 (it was a past rumor). That would be very versatile. A 18-45 overlaps a lot with a 15/16-35. I guess its advantage would be much lower price.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
If were talking new lenses, with the opportunities the RF mount offers, I'd love to see what an RF version of the EF 28-300MM F3.5-5.6L IS USM would be like?
I tried the EF version and its a beast. It's a fantastic lens that covers so many situations but unless you're a weight lifter, I'm not sure I could manage more than a couple of hours handheld lol. Maybe they could even do an f 2.8 RF version, now that would be impressive for wildlife and travel?

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
If were talking new lenses, with the opportunities the RF mount offers, I'd love to see what an RF version of the EF 28-300MM F3.5-5.6L IS USM would be like?
I tried the EF version and its a beast. It's a fantastic lens that covers so many situations but unless you're a weight lifter, I'm not sure I could manage more than a couple of hours handheld lol. Maybe they could even do an f 2.8 RF version, now that would be impressive for wildlife and travel?

They've released the 24-240 already as a superzoom, I think it's unlikely they'll revisit the 28-300 L line because to be honest, you can't really do a good enough quality superzoom without it being enormously heavy and enormously expensive.

Upvote 0