These are the official ship dates for the recently announced Canon cameras and lenses

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
And where would you put the controls?
Nuh, not suggesting interfere with controls. Get rid of pop up flash or make it half as wide instead. this will afford plenty of room for a second hot shoe. Just look at a photo of m6 II top down and you will see where I am coming from. I hope it explains

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Nuh, not suggesting interfere with controls. Get rid of pop up flash or make it half as wide instead. this will afford plenty of room for a second hot shoe. Just look at a photo of m6 II top down and you will see where I am coming from. I hope it explains

You'd end up with a hot shoe on the left (where the flash was), and the hot shoe in the middle (rather than on the right). That'd be OK (or alternatively, keep the popup and put the hot shoe on top of it). I really wouldn't want to move all the controls to the center.

But from Canon's point of view, really, the cheapest thing to do is just come out with an EVF with a hot shoe on top of it.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
You'd end up with a hot shoe on the left (where the flash was), and the hot shoe in the middle (rather than on the right). That'd be OK (or alternatively, keep the popup and put the hot shoe on top of it). I really wouldn't want to move all the controls to the center.

But from Canon's point of view, really, the cheapest thing to do is just come out with an EVF with a hot shoe on top of it.
No sorry. I suggested to remove pop up flash and replace with hot shoe. No repositioning controls.
Hot shoe on top of evf is not a great idea. At all. Sorry.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
No sorry. I suggested to remove pop up flash and replace with hot shoe. No repositioning controls.
Hot shoe on top of evf is not a great idea. At all. Sorry.

Then I misunderstood you--I thought you wanted one hot shoe on each upper corner of the camera, rather than one on the left and one in the center. OK, now I understand you.

How about this? Replace the popup flash with a popup viewfinder, and use the center (and only) hot shoe for a flash. (Of course, maybe you want a popup flash a lot; I personally have little use for one and generally just disable the flash in my settings since the built in kind seem to ruin more pictures than they help. But your situation and tastes aren't mine.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
So I asked what they meant with "on the way" and it turns out that it means "before the end of the month", which lines up with what you were told.

On the other hand...the press release says the 26th for both the M6 II and everything else (except the 90D). The 28th is a Saturday, so I tend to believe he was wrong about the exact date.

Upvote 0