Thin focus compact camera

nvsravank

CR Pro
Feb 2, 2012
My Sony Rx100 is dying and I might be in the market (if my wife agrees).
I was looking at canon generally because I am happier with my full frame EOS gear and I want something that is easy to use for my wife but something that I won't cringe when I am forced to use it. So need manual mode and raw.

She loves the look of my 85 1.2 lens when I use it at 1.2.

I know I can't get that thin focus on the smaller sensors, but what come near?

The budget will be a problem and I am not interested in another monster. She needs to be able to put it in the pocket like the Sony we have(that size was the only reason we went with Sony)

I was looking at canon and saw a 1.5 inch sensor in the G1X mark ii and the G7X mark ii with its 1.8 lens
I know the G1X mark ii is not really 1.5 inch in any direction and I know it is only 12.8 MP. I think that is enough for the 8x12 photos even with a small bit of cropping.

What other such cameras are available? Want low light and large aperture lens!
Even though I am looking at canon, I am not stuck with canon. The Sony was great.

I went through the numbers some time ago and realised that depth of field is inversely proportional to physical aperture.

i.e. 85f1.2 ~= 70mm aperture.

so if you want a smaller sensor you need a shorter lens for the save FOV but to get the same DOF you still need 70mm aperture.

an SL1 + 50STM would be one semi compact option.. (~30mm aperture)

taking something like a G3X we find the sensor is a "1.0" size which amounts to about a 2.7 crop.

At 85mm equivalent (31mm long) and assuming the lens is still f2.8 there (it's best aperture) that gives us an 11mm aperture.

i.e. stop your 85L down to about F8.

You'll probably do best starting with the biggest sensors you can find.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
andydiggler said:
I don't mean to hijack this subject, but I am new to this and I can't figure out how to make a new post! Can anyone help? Thanks

Hi Andy. Welcome to CR. Navigate to FORUM HOME (to the right of CANON RUMORS tab below logo) and pick a heading that relates to your question. In the upper right you will see a button labeled NEW TOPIC. Hit that and you're good to go.

Upvote 0
Why not considering a fuji/xt10 + a 50mm 0.95 lens (that exists). It should behave similarly to the 85mm on a FF.
However, I must say I did not try this combo until now. m4/3 allows too such large apertures lenses. Such lenses are coming from 3rd party manufacturers, and may produce uneven results, depending on the manufacturer.

Upvote 0