Thinking of swapping a 5d3 for a 1D4.....

That is a pretty dramatic increase in shots taken and buffer clearing on the 5D3 comparing UDMA6 vs UDMA7.....interesting

suburbia said:
http://blog.willshootphotography.com/2012/06/udma-7-cf-card-performance-on-canon-5d-mark-iii-and-1d-mark-iv-soooo-worth-it.html

Seems that switching to UDMA 7 has more dramatic impact on the 5d Mk III performance:

RAW shots

Camera........... Card ........Shots till full.....Buffer empty in
5D Mark III......UDMA 6.... 15....................15.2 sec
.......................UDMA 7.....26....................3.5 sec

1D Mark IV......UDMA 6.....27.....................24.5 sec
.......................UDMA 7*...31.....................6.1 sec

* Requires Firmware Upgrade

Upvote 0
Also a good point. I've always babied my equipment and have avoided taking my 5D3 out in light mist/drizzle. Having a 1 series may provide a better sense of security with the weather sealing that perhaps I would obtain some additional photos / avoid missed opportunity....

pdirestajr said:
can0nfan2379 said:
Image quality is a priority. Maybe I'll just wait a while longer for the 1DX to drop below 4K

Canon1 said:
Bottom line, both are great cameras. If FPS is your main concern then i'd go for the Mark 4. If IQ is your main concern then the 5DIII wins hands down....

Be prepared to wait years and a couple more camera body generations to find it used at <4k... That's a lot of missed moments.

Upvote 0

WPJ

Dec 17, 2012
cdn_photog said:
I am using a SanDisk ExtremePro 32GB UDMA7 rated at 160MB/s in my 5D3.
http://www.adorama.com/IDSCFEP4K32.html

I have 2 SanDisk SD cards (for my P&S), and 2 SanDisk CF cards, plus a 3rd SanDisk CF card that I sold with the 7D, and have not had any problems with them.

I have 2 x 32gb Lexar x600 and 2 x 32gb Lexar x800, no issues with ether set of cards

Great burst rates.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with the likelihood that the 1 Series use higher tier componentry. There must be some reason people claim that 1 Series RAW files can be pushed and pulled more than lower tier bodies.

I use the spot focus feature tons so that's a knock against the 1D4.

You're probably right that the 1D4 may retain more value long term given that it is the last in the line of APS-H bodies and is very popular among wildlife photogs. No doubt it is a great camera. Just not convinced yet that it would be a step up from the 5D3 -- perhaps more of a lateral move....I mean I realize the build quality and FPS are an advantage but as has been discussed it does lose out on the 5D3 for some features (5D3 has 2 more cross type points, spot focus, low light servo performance).

danski0224 said:
There are many posts claiming similarity between the 5DIII and 1DX cameras, and I think they are further apart than what meets the eye or spec sheet. I suspect that a comparison between exploded parts diagram views with part numbers of both cameras would confirm this.

The 1DIV does NOT have the same spot focus feature found on the 7D, 5DIII or 1DX. The 1DIV spot focus feature only works with the supertele lenses with a focus button.

It is possible that the 1DIV will retain more value over time than the 5DIII, so switching now may not be a bad move.

Upvote 0
can0nfan2379 said:
That is a pretty dramatic increase in shots taken and buffer clearing on the 5D3 comparing UDMA6 vs UDMA7.....interesting

suburbia said:
http://blog.willshootphotography.com/2012/06/udma-7-cf-card-performance-on-canon-5d-mark-iii-and-1d-mark-iv-soooo-worth-it.html

Seems that switching to UDMA 7 has more dramatic impact on the 5d Mk III performance:

RAW shots

Camera........... Card ........Shots till full.....Buffer empty in
5D Mark III......UDMA 6.... 15....................15.2 sec
.......................UDMA 7.....26....................3.5 sec

1D Mark IV......UDMA 6.....27.....................24.5 sec
.......................UDMA 7*...31.....................6.1 sec

* Requires Firmware Upgrade

Wow. This is interesting. All of my cards are UDMA 6 and 5. What a dramatic difference between 6 and 7! Time to go to BH and get some new cards...

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
I have also decided that I would rather have a 1D4 over the 5D3.

It's a beast of a camera and for wildlife shooting I would rather have 10fps and "lesser" IQ and get that shot than a little bit better "image quality" and miss it.

I have spoken with a few well known wildlife photographers and they say that if you switch to the 1D4 (over the 7D) you will never look back. David Hemmings didn't even blink when I asked him about upgrading to the 1D4, the 5D3 was never even mentioned. Believe me, he is someone who would know.

D

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
My initial view would be Don't do it, if I read your Post correctly you mention the opportunity to clean swap a 5DMK III for a 1DMK IV, so my view would be, don't do it.

I own all 3 Camera Bodies and use them mostly for Wildlife (+ the 5DMK II) I never sell a Good Camera, it's like selling your children.

When I was using the 5DMK II + 1DMK IV, the 1 DMK IV was the King for me, 10fps, weather sealed, much better AF System than the 5DMK II, and the big big decider, 1.3 Crop.

The only thing the 5DMK II had that was better, was a larger MP file.

But then along came the 5DMK III, suddenly I was finding I was using the 5DMK III more than the 1DMK IV, the 5DMK III had a 61 point AF system, larger file size, Ok weather sealing, the 1D MK IV became the back up to the 5DMK III.

Then along came the 1Dx, I bought 2 Bodies, never take the 1DMK IV anywhere anymore, and use the 5DMK III as a back up.

But, this is wildlife Photography, with the occasional Landscape thrown in, street scenes if I'm stuck in a City between flights to another place that has Wildlife, and if a slow Bird flies past, some BIF Images.

Upvote 0
Wow. If you could find an even swap, your 5D Mark III for a 1D Mark IV, I would do it in a heartbeat, assuming the 1D Mark IV is in excellent shape. I paid around $2350 from my 5D Mark III. Good 1D Mark IVs are going for $3K+. I've owned both, both are great cameras. If you need low light, full frame, you can pick up a used or refurb 6D later for $1400 or less. My two cents.

Upvote 0
can0nfan2379 said:
I totally agree with the likelihood that the 1 Series use higher tier componentry. There must be some reason people claim that 1 Series RAW files can be pushed and pulled more than lower tier bodies.

I use the spot focus feature tons so that's a knock against the 1D4.

You're probably right that the 1D4 may retain more value long term given that it is the last in the line of APS-H bodies and is very popular among wildlife photogs. No doubt it is a great camera. Just not convinced yet that it would be a step up from the 5D3 -- perhaps more of a lateral move....I mean I realize the build quality and FPS are an advantage but as has been discussed it does lose out on the 5D3 for some features (5D3 has 2 more cross type points, spot focus, low light servo performance).

Yes, for some reason, 1D files can be manipulated more in post, at least in my limited experience. I also think Canon files can be messed with a bit more in DPP than Lightroom, for example. But, Lightroom wins in the interface department.

I think the files look different, too.

It is possible, given good exposures to start with, that the 5DIII file can be cropped to match a 1DIV file with no loss in IQ. It may be possible to do the same with a 1DX file- crop it to a 1.3x FOV with no loss in IQ. The "reach" arguments are going away as technology marches forward.

I have noticed that Canon seems to be splitting up feature sets across the product line. Note the stellar center point in the 6D vs other current FF offerings. But, Canon made the body smaller than the 5DIII, which isn't appealing to me.

If low light AF performance and spot focus without a Big White are important, then a 1DIV isn't an upgrade over a 5DIII.

There are 3rd party focus screens available for the 5DIII, but ease of use doesn't come to mind. If focus screen use is of importance, then the 1DIV becomes an upgrade over a 5DIII.

The 1DIV also lacks all of the cool stuff that can be done with current Canon RT flashes through the camera menu. Although it may be possible to address this with a firmware update, it hasn't happened yet.

Given current offerings, the 1DX is the only one that has limited occurances of the word "or" when describing feature comparisons between current models.

The one major thing that the 1DIV has over the 5DIII is value in the used market. If the 1DIV is in good to excellent shape, you can flip it with little effort, and get more funding towards a 1DX or try out a 6D.

Upvote 0

WPJ

Dec 17, 2012
bdunbar79 said:
I misinterpreted the question. The 1D4 is NOT a step up above the 5D3. The 5D3 I think overall, in more general situations, will give superior IQ. If you put a 5D3 on a 400 f/2.8L II IS lens and then the 1D4 on the same lens, the 5D3 would have better IQ, especially if you are 1.3x closer to your subject.

the 5d is not 1.3x closer to the subject it s that much further away

Upvote 0

jasonsim

Hobbyist
Dec 23, 2011
Raleigh, NC
can0nfan2379 said:
Anyone have any thoughts on this crazy idea?

Depends on what is most important to you. If you find yourself needing the extra reach and the 10FPS, then it might make sense. However, for landscapes and portraits, I for one would want a full frame camera. Also, it would be good for you to go to a local shop that might have a 1D IV to try out. I for one think that once you get used to the menu system and the AF layout of the 5D III, going to a 1D IV might seem awkward and a step back.

6FP is not all that bad. I have captured some amazing wildlife and sporting shots with a 5D III. I have a 1Dx now, and soon to have 6D. But the 5D III is a wonderful camera! If the buffering is the only issue, you might invest in a new CF card, a Lexar Professional 1000x 32GB or higher (the 16GB are artificially slowed down). Also take out the SD card that you might have in the 5D III. I believe leaving an SD in causes the bus to slow down even for the high speed CF card. Give that a go and see if you need something more.

Kind regards,
Jason S.

Upvote 0
WPJ said:
bdunbar79 said:
I misinterpreted the question. The 1D4 is NOT a step up above the 5D3. The 5D3 I think overall, in more general situations, will give superior IQ. If you put a 5D3 on a 400 f/2.8L II IS lens and then the 1D4 on the same lens, the 5D3 would have better IQ, especially if you are 1.3x closer to your subject.

Uhhhhhhhh. That's what I said.

Upvote 0

WPJ

Dec 17, 2012
bdunbar79 said:
WPJ said:
bdunbar79 said:

you said the 5d would be better because it is 1.3x closer, anyways doesn't,matter we both understand what you meant now
Uhhhhhhhh. That's what I said.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
hawaiisunsetphoto said:
Wow. If you could find an even swap, your 5D Mark III for a 1D Mark IV, I would do it in a heartbeat, assuming the 1D Mark IV is in excellent shape.
Couldn't agree more, provided the strengths of the 1D4 vs the strengths of the 5D3 are what you require. I own both and they're a good complimentary pair. On most jobs I'll have the 70-200 on the 1D4 and 16-35II or 24-70II on the 5D3. But if it came to a toss-up, one or the other, it would be the 1D4 every single time. The 5D3 is called on when the project requires maximum IQ (short of renting MF) or complete FF wide-angle delivery.

1-Series bodies are expensive to buy new, but heavy users working in demanding situations know 100% that you get what you pay for. BTW, one sometimes overlooked advantage of the 1D4 is the 1/300 flash sync speed vs 1/200 on the 5D3.

-pw

Upvote 0