This is probably the best camera review I’ve ever watched – Gerald Undone with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

For video purposes only, basically for the same money, I prefer the Canon EOS C200B over the R5. 4K 12 bit RAW for under $4000 is the best image you can possibly get as of today. But it all depends on your needs. I do not have any photograph needs because I have the Canon EOS R whenever needed. I think Gerald did a great job with this video. I have been a subscriber of his channel for over a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
If they marketed it as a stills camera no one would care. I certainly don't; my 5D3 still takes amazing images. So they banked on unusable 8k and 4k120 which backfired.

What a shame, these cameras are great for photographers, but terrible for anyone who wants to do even the slightest bit of video work.

You're overstating that. You're assuming that anyone wanting to do video work will want to do it in 8K or 4K120P or 4KHQ.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
If they marketed it as a stills camera no one would care. I certainly don't; my 5D3 still takes amazing images. So they banked on unusable 8k and 4k120 which backfired.

What a shame, these cameras are great for photographers, but terrible for anyone who wants to do even the slightest bit of video work.
That's a very broad statement and not entirely correct, there limitations at the higher end of the resolution but there are several video modes equivalent and higher than many current cameras that are absolutely fine, 1080, 4k25p un cropped etc and these will meet the needs of many people.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
BE QUICK! In the UK and want a good as new R5 at a great price

I just looked at Wex and there is an OB (Open Box) R5 in the used section with over £400 off all the pre-order UK prices just added this morning, I was shocked when I saw it.

I’m holding out for an R6 there isn’t as many as I thought on the pre-order list for both camera bodies.

Have Canon pitched the RRP of these camera’s too high or is it the global pandemic, some negative press, or a bit of everything?

Upvote 0
BE QUICK! In the UK and want a good as new R5 at a great price

I just looked at Wex and there is an OB (Open Box) R5 in the used section with over £400 off all the pre-order UK prices just added this morning, I was shocked when I saw it.

I’m holding out for an R6 there isn’t as many as I thought on the pre-order list for both camera bodies.

Have Canon pitched the RRP of these camera’s too high or is it the global pandemic, some negative press, or a bit of everything?
That's a very handy discount! I don't think the overheating controversy is helping. Maybe some people have bought and then decided it doesn't meet their needs?

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
I do, my 5D2 is past its service life.

Besides, its autofocus sucks, its connectivity sucks, and its low light performance could be better.
Well, if it's stills you want, from my initial use over the last week, the R5 will certainly float your boat, the AF is amazing and a leap forward from the R. The connectivity is pretty good through wifi and bluetooth as well. I haven't tried it yet in low light but from several reviews, the low light performance is pretty good too. :)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Well, if it's stills you want, from my initial use over the last week, the R5 will certainly float your boat, the AF is amazing and a leap forward from the R. The connectivity is pretty good through wifi and bluetooth as well. I haven't tried it yet in low light but from several reviews, the low light performance is pretty good too. :)
I tried it today in the shop. It's a bit less comfortable to hold and use than the 5D series DSLR (for someone with big hands), but it's the first mirrorless camera where the EVF didn't look unnatural even during panning.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I tried it today in the shop. It's a bit less comfortable to hold and use than the 5D series DSLR (for someone with big hands), but it's the first mirrorless camera where the EVF didn't look unnatural even during panning.

I don't have terribly large hands but the "hump" that the thumb is supposed to go to the left of does feel as if it's slanted wrong or something.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

Feb 13, 2020
I don't have terribly large hands but the "hump" that the thumb is supposed to go to the left of does feel as if it's slanted wrong or something.
I must be unusual as I've had several different cameras from 7DMKII with grip to R to R5 and although all different, they were all comfortable to hold and access various buttons after a short period of acclimatisation. I found coming from the R that as all the buttons and the lens control ring can be customised, I never used the Touch Bar and find I don't use the rear wheel that was transferred from the 5D very much, apart from when changing settings or viewing images.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I work professionally in video and film with A-listers on blockbusters and more, and I disagree with you which proves that you are childish and immature.
So there.
Good luck filming A-listers on blockbusters with anything like the Sony A7S III. Actually name one film you have worked on where a hybrid camera was the hero camera? Right now they are being shot on the Arri Mini LF, Alexa LF, Sony Venice, Red Dragon, Red Ranger, Panavision DXL2 etc.
Hybrid cameras maybe used for shots in car chases or stunts or hard to get to places but almost never as principle cameras.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Sir, I am not arguing your former corporate media/PR rep position, but being an enterprise services account executive for a very large Multinational and a qualified business practitioner, I would like to prove my point and disprove your point that NO company ever announce a new product by leading with limitations. For simplicity. Here is a a Sony camera announcement. There are 22 limitations in total listed in the press release.

have a read and hopefully reconsider:

and here is Nikon D6 press release with a number of limitations listed in there:

Well, you got me there. I appreciate your feedback. But all those footnotes are really ugly, like a pharma ad. If that many are needed, it would be worthwhile to consider rewording a bit, IMHO. But my spear was a little over sharpened in my comment. Canon could have avoided a lot of the thrashing by pro-actively handling it at announcement. EG, “We decided to include these amazing video modes even though their use is time-constrained by thermal factors. It was our primary goal to create a high-resolution sensor in a compact, weather-sealed camera body desired by so many of our customers.” Something like that. Best to acknowledge the issue and get your own spin on it first. Hope for a soft landing. This one landed pretty hard.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Well, you got me there. I appreciate your feedback. But all those footnotes are really ugly, like a pharma ad. If that many are needed, it would be worthwhile to consider rewording a bit, IMHO. But my spear was a little over sharpened in my comment. Canon could have avoided a lot of the thrashing by pro-actively handling it at announcement. EG, “We decided to include these amazing video modes even though their use is time-constrained by thermal factors. It was our primary goal to create a high-resolution sensor in a compact, weather-sealed camera body desired by so many of our customers.” Something like that. Best to acknowledge the issue and get your own spin on it first. Hope for a soft landing. This one landed pretty hard.
I haven't read one negative thing about the R5 body by those who ignore the video features. Hard landing? Not for most. If you were banking on this body being your money maker for film, you MUST have a different A camera. Why would you bank on a hybrid doing it all?

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I haven't read one negative thing about the R5 body by those who ignore the video features. Hard landing? Not for most. If you were banking on this body being your money maker for film, you MUST have a different A camera. Why would you bank on a hybrid doing it all?
Hey, I’m no video guy at all. But video is the emerging/growing market and Canon understands that. They didn’t just toss those modes on there for people like me. They want a piece of what Sony and others are getting, and the R5/6 show that. I love it, but mIt’s obvious at least some of the video crowd is disappointed. There are other tools for them, too. But I think inside of Canon there is some re-thinking of they way they drove the announcement. They could have played their cards a little better. But in the end, the R5 was going to be what it is. I would guess they expected a better reception from videographers.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Hey, I’m no video guy at all. But video is the emerging/growing market and Canon understands that. They didn’t just toss those modes on there for people like me. They want a piece of what Sony and others are getting, and the R5/6 show that. I love it, but mIt’s obvious at least some of the video crowd is disappointed. There are other tools for them, too. But I think inside of Canon there is some re-thinking of they way they drove the announcement. They could have played their cards a little better. But in the end, the R5 was going to be what it is. I would guess they expected a better reception from videographers.
Still, it's a case of YMMV in the largest sense. If I was to buy one, I bet I'd have no issues. The video moaning suggests this is a fail on all fronts, which it is not. It's just not the One Ring To Rule Them All. You know why? There will never be such a thing, yet consumers want and wish for one every.single.launch.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That I agree with you. Absolutely.And thank you for writing back on this issue. As I previously posted: in my opinion, Canon did went a bit Gung Ho with this press release and in particular high end production readiness references. The language they used is questionable in some parts of the text, as you pointed out. So.., thank you!

Upvote 0