Those of you clamouring for GPS info

Status
Not open for further replies.

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
I don't have GPS switched on because it takes too much batterypower. Just for latest traffic news or to lookup a location I turn it on. I never use it icw photos I take with my phone. Further, my settings on social sites are on private sharing only with friends. But I guess a huge number of people is unaware of the side affect of technology. So news items like this are good to inform those people.

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
I would hope that most people with the least bit of technological savvy would be aware of this. I don't use gps tracks on pictures taken around my home, not because of this since I don't participate or post on social websites anyway, but I do tag travel pictures because my 70 year old memory sometimes can't remember exactly where a picture was taken. So anyone trying to locate me only locates where I've been....and that is a lot of places. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
rumorzmonger said:
I'm surprised people are just figuring this out now... this has been going on for years now.

Including right here. A year ago or a little more, I recall a particularly offensive poster had put up a pic, and someone posted a Google satellite image of their house with the address shown.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
rumorzmonger said:
I'm surprised people are just figuring this out now... this has been going on for years now.

Its been in the news several times the past few years. Having GPS info attached to your images is useful, you usually have a choice about uploading metadata.
A few months ago, the Pentagon issued a warning to the military about posting images online with GPS coordinates, it tells the other side where to find you.

Here is a warning from 2011. Nothing new.
http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/local_news/special_reports/warning:-smart-phone-images-use-gps-trackers-to-mark-your-location

Upvote 0
I suspect that most 6D users turn GPS on and off as needed because leaving it enabled drains the battery flat within 3 days even with the camera turned off.

I leave it off for personal photos- I already know where I live and the privacy issues were obvious right from the introduction of my first iPhone. But the beauty of the feature was evident on a cruise boat I rode 3 days ago that followed a route that was too convoluted for me to track mentally. Sitting on my couch browsing photos today I can map unique sites for future visits later.

You can cut yourself with a knife, kill yourself in your car or electrocute yourself with a kitchen appliance. Just another tool with an upside and a downside.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi folks, some of the best are not gps enabled, just the farcebook postings, this is where I live, this is me getting on the plane for a fortnights holiday in x!
Wasn't there a furore a couple of years ago someone did a please burgle me to highlight the excess info people give out no need for gps when you post your full address and holiday dates!

Privacy settings people?! :eek:

Cheers Graham.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.