Three of the four new RF lenses are still scheduled for release in 2019

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Earlier this year, Canon announced 6 new RF mount lenses to a lot of fanfare, unfortunately, we’ve only seen the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM of the six come to market. The RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS USM is scheduled to be released in September of 2019.
We have been told that 3 of the remaining 4 lenses will definitely come in 2019. The RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM are both scheduled to arrive in October. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the official announcement in late August or early September.
The RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM won’t be coming until December of this year according to the latest information we’ve been sent.
This leaves only the RF 85mm f/1.2L DS USM as the unknown in the group. We haven’t heard anything about when we may see the Defocus Smoothing RF 85mm lens hit the market.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I have to say I am both jealous and sad about the Canon situation. I almost bought an EOS R from my 5D Mark III. Instead after reading reviews I sold off my Canon equipment and bought a A7RIII, 24mm GM F1.4, 55mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8, 24-105 F4 and 90mm macro.

I didn't expect it but I was utterly shocked at the resolution difference between the A7RIII and the 5DIII. Obviously the resolution is completely different but I think the AA filter not being present makes the biggest difference.

Comparing these new lenses to what Sony is offering it is incredible what the RF mount can offer...it was just too little too late for me. I wanted a F1.4 24mm or 35mm. I wanted decently sized (and priced) primes as well.

How long would it take me to get equivalent lenses to what I have available right now with the Sony system? Probably years. You can say just use EF lenses but that introduces complexity in lens swaps and removes a lot of size advantage.

I hope Canon does well with this mount...who knows maybe someday they will offer a really compelling package...all I know is right now I'm loving the Sony more than my 5DIII.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Hit with the slower than anticipated sales of the R and RP I think canon will delay releases of RF lenses until a larger user base exists and more professional R mount cameras are released.

Why do you think R and RP sales were lower than anticipated? Your perception of how well the R/RP have sold is likely completely different than what Canon projected.

I highly doubt any delay in getting the lenses out has to do with R or RP sales; much more likely it has to do with production and/or distribution challenges.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Hit with the slower than anticipated sales of the R and RP I think canon will delay releases of RF lenses until a larger user base exists and more professional R mount cameras are released.
Whether sales were "slower than anticipated" or not, and it's just fake news if you can't produce a reputable source, why in the world would they slow down the roll out of lenses already designed and in production? RF needs better bodies, absolutely, but it also needs a growing library of native lenses!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

fabao

RF 10-24 f/4???
Apr 26, 2019
A lightweight wildlife lens as an alternative to my 1DX Mark II/600mm would get me to by into the RF system.
Just get a Panasonic G9 with the 100-400mm (200-800 equivalent) lens. Plus you get awesome stable 4K video, even at 800mm, for much less. I am not joking. Just came back from a Safari and couldn't be happier with the results. I got a Canon RP camera but I use it in other situations.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0