Tilta announced R5/6 cage with removable fan

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
If the camera has a direct heat path to that rear plane under the LCD then they may have something. If the camera is just convective cooling (internally) to the rear plate, then maybe not so much. I did not see any record time improvement test results.

People in the field have already reported getting recording times far exceeding Canon's official "limit" warnings by doing nothing other than recording to an external recorder.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Based on the exploded view of their cooling module, it includes a "cooling chip" which I would bet any money is a thermoelectric cooling device. If this is the case, I think this would be very effective at cooling the camera, as it will actively be pulling heat away from the back of the camera with the thermoelectric device, and then using the fan to pull the heat away from the hot side of the thermoelectric device. This is pretty much exactly what I suggested in another thread. This is much more than just blowing a little air at the back of the camera. This will probably provide some serious cooling. Very nice. I'm almost surprised that Canon themselves didn't make an accessory like this. But maybe they just didn't want to focus too much attention on the overheating aspects.

cooling module.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Also they mention a "smart temperature control switch" that prevents the camera from producing "over cooling moisture."

This pretty much confirms they are running a thermoelectric device. As this states, these can get so cold they can cause condensation. This thing will keep the camera frosty cold for sure. This is great. Overheating will be a non-issue with this.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
yeah but you cant record in HQ 60, 4k120, or 8k

You know, the only things setting this camera apart from its competition

In other words, folks are complaining because Canon's new camera can do things "only for a little while" that no one else's cameras can do for a single instant? Is that about right?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If the camera has a direct heat path to that rear plane under the LCD then they may have something. If the camera is just convective cooling (internally) to the rear plate, then maybe not so much. I did not see any record time improvement test results.
this.. and also, on the ice pack solution.. we know what happens when you take out a camera on a hot day out of the camera bag that was packed at a room temperature... so.. camera temp : 23-25 Celsius, 35-50 outside.. count to 1,2,3,4,5.. your lens is all fogged up due to moisture condensation.. damn. wipe it off start shooting. it fogs up again.. rinse and repeat. so.. if you keep the camera body with ice pack below the ambient temperature your lens will be fogging up again and again...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
In other words, folks are complaining because Canon's new camera can do things "only for a little while" that no one else's cameras can do for a single instant? Is that about right?

Yeah you know when you buy a car and it's advertised to be able to carry a certain load but then you find out it can do it only for 20 minutes at a time?

But if it's sunny out you can only run it for 10 minutes before you have to pull over for an hour to let it cool down.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
this.. and also, on the ice pack solution.. we know what happens when you take out a camera on a hot day out of the camera bag that was packed at a room temperature... so.. camera temp : 23-25 Celsius, 35-50 outside.. count to 1,2,3,4,5.. your lens is all fogged up due to moisture condensation.. damn. wipe it off start shooting. it fogs up again.. rinse and repeat. so.. if you keep the camera body with ice pack below the ambient temperature your lens will be fogging up again and again...
No, I don't agree with this. If this is using a peltier cooler, which there's every indication it is, they can run at a difference of around 150 def F between their hot side and cold side. So if this fan and heatsink keeps the hot side around ambient temp, that means the cold side against the camera could be well below freezing. Like you said it won't run that cold for fear of condensation, but it should have plenty of cooling capacity to soak a lot of heat off of the back of the camera. Regardless of exactly how the camera transmits heat off the sensor, having something that cold pressed against the back of the camera will probably go a very long way towards mitigating overheating.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No, I don't agree with this. If this is using a peltier cooler, which there's every indication it is, they can run at a difference of around 150 def F between their hot side and cold side. So if this fan and heatsink keeps the hot side around ambient temp, that means the cold side against the camera could be well below freezing. Like you said it won't run that cold for fear of condensation, but it should have plenty of cooling capacity to soak a lot of heat off of the back of the camera. Regardless of exactly how the camera transmits heat off the sensor, having something that cold pressed against the back of the camera will probably go a very long way towards mitigating overheating.
back of the camera (shell) is made from plastic. not the best heat conductor one would think... on another hand, i trust it would be pretty uncomfortable hand holding this contraption when you are running and gunning and there is a need for a quick video taken.. I still believe that a cooling EF to RF adaptor is a better solution.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
back of the camera (shell) is made from plastic. not the best heat conductor one would think... on another hand, i trust it would be pretty uncomfortable hand holding this contraption when you are running and gunning and there is a need for a quick video taken.. I still believe that a cooling EF to RF adaptor is a better solution.
No, it's not plastic. It's magnesium like most of the rest of the body. Here is a photo from the teardown Lens Rentals did on the EOS R showing that the back of that camera was magnesium, and a photo of the exposed R5 body.

Also, I don't understand how some sort of cooling EF to RF adapter would work or even make sense. So it's just blowing air onto the sensor, along with a ton of dust? Even if you put a filter on the fan, then it's going to become clogged over time. And then you're restricted to only using old EF lenses if you want good cooling on the body?

1S7A7920sml.jpgwp-15943055277017083976556344937766.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
No, it's not plastic. It's magnesium like most of the rest of the body. Here is a photo from the teardown Lens Rentals did on the EOS R showing that the back of that camera was magnesium, and a photo of the exposed R5 body.

Also, I don't understand how some sort of cooling EF to RF adapter would work or even make sense. So it's just blowing air onto the sensor, along with a ton of dust? Even if you put a filter on the fan, then it's going to become clogged over time. And then you're restricted to only using old EF lenses if you want good cooling on the body?

View attachment 191568View attachment 191569

have a read ;)

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
have a read ;)

Huh, well, you learn something new every day. I dunno, still seems like a pretty weird and questionable solution to me. And again not to mention that it would lock you into using nothing but EF glass if you wanted the added cooling.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Huh, well, you learn something new every day. I dunno, still seems like a pretty weird and questionable solution to me. And again not to mention that it would lock you into using nothing but EF glass if you wanted the added cooling.
Well, come think about it:
The EF lens requirement does not sound like an extremely limiting solution if you really had to film 8K or 4KHQ with R5/R6 for longer than it’s present limit is and your budget limitations will not allow for use of a proper cinema cam instead. Personally, I do not see Canon EF glass limiting in any away. Quite opposite, I believe it is simply stellar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

That all depends upon how arid or humid the climate is in which you are shooting.

If you're in Dubai, the ice pack solution works wonderfully. If you're in a tropical rainforest, not so much.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Yeah you know when you buy a car and it's advertised to be able to carry a certain load but then you find out it can do it only for 20 minutes at a time?

But if it's sunny out you can only run it for 10 minutes before you have to pull over for an hour to let it cool down.

If the purpose of the car is for a stunt in a film, 30-40 seconds is more than enough to get the shot. Several times.

Upvote 0