Too Many Lenses

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
some really disappointing posts here. so much pride and no humility... wealth and education level pissing competition taken to an extreme level. what you can afford, guys, many hardworking people will never be able to afford... Please respect their feelings.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
Philippians 2:3

When pride comes, then comes disgrace,
but with humility comes wisdom.

Proverbs 11:2

Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Romans 12:16

Pride brings a person low,
but the lowly in spirit gain honor.

Proverbs 29:23

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.
James 3:13

Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.
1 Peter 3:8

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
SecureGSM said:
some really disappointing posts here. so much pride and no humility... wealth and education level pissing competition taken to an extreme level. what you can afford, guys, many hardworking people will never be able to afford... Please respect their feelings.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves.
Philippians 2:3

When pride comes, then comes disgrace,
but with humility comes wisdom.

Proverbs 11:2

Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Romans 12:16

Pride brings a person low,
but the lowly in spirit gain honor.

Proverbs 29:23

Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom.
James 3:13

Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble.
1 Peter 3:8

Matthew 7:1-3 King James Version (KJV)

7 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Alan, if you noticed, I am thoroughly disappointed but not being judgemental. I called for mutual respect and dignity.
I pointed out what is quite obvious to many. I am not interested to know how much others making.
Some people are less fortunate in this world. Lest we forget ...

AlanF said:

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
SecureGSM said:
Alan, if you noticed, I am thoroughly disappointed but not being judgemental. I called for mutual respect and dignity.
I pointed out what is quite obvious to many. I am not interested to know how much others making.
Some people are less fortunate in this world. Lest we forget ...

AlanF said:

I am in full agreement with you. Mutual respect should be at the core and we must never forget that whereas some can afford the most expensive gear there are even more others who cannot, and they still can and do take marvellous photos.

Upvote 0
Ian_of_glos said:
As my lens collection grows, I am forced to ask myself how many lenses is too many?
My wife thinks I am already way past that point, so what are your thoughts? At what point would you consider that you have too many lenses?

If you can decide which lense(s) you use before the light (or subject or chance) is gone: Maybe do not have too many lenses!

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
SecureGSM,
1. A lot (99%) of this chit-chat is tongue in cheek. You get a bunch of CS / sciences / maths / medical types in the mix - and geeks will geek.
2. Aside from highly specialized work requiring Big Whites and really large files ( high level sports video; pro level bird photography), most work can be done very well with equipment suitable for middle class to upper-middle-class pocket books. A good photographer can do a lot with a Rebel and a kit lens. For that matter, a good photographer can do a lot with a phone. Photography never was a hobby for the poor. For that, see poetry.
3. Photography and charity are not mutually exclusive. Many people do both.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
P.S.
1. Too many lenses may keep the photographer from thinking creatively. Limitations can have a stimulating effect.
2. A basic camera with fully manual control available, and a normal length lens, is a pretty good start for a beginner. That's how I started lo these many years ago in the days when manual was all there was (1960s). I still use a few vintage manual lenses that had belonged to myself (M42 mount) or someone else (Nikon F AI/AIS) in the family. (Hint - besides the adapter, it helps greatly to switch to the "super-fine" screen). And if one wants auto focus, one can go to the 24 or 40 pancake lenses or the nifty fifty and any Canon made in the last 8 years, and do pretty well for oneself.

Upvote 0
mb66energy said:
Ian_of_glos said:
As my lens collection grows, I am forced to ask myself how many lenses is too many?
My wife thinks I am already way past that point, so what are your thoughts? At what point would you consider that you have too many lenses?

If you can decide which lense(s) you use before the light (or subject or chance) is gone: Maybe do not have too many lenses!
That is a good point and generally I decide what I want to do before I start taking any pictures and choose the lens that is most appropriate for that type of work. Some lenses are rarely used though, which makes me wonder if I really need them.

Upvote 0
NancyP said:
P.S.
1. Too many lenses may keep the photographer from thinking creatively. Limitations can have a stimulating effect.
2. A basic camera with fully manual control available, and a normal length lens, is a pretty good start for a beginner. That's how I started lo these many years ago in the days when manual was all there was (1960s). I still use a few vintage manual lenses that had belonged to myself (M42 mount) or someone else (Nikon F AI/AIS) in the family. (Hint - besides the adapter, it helps greatly to switch to the "super-fine" screen). And if one wants auto focus, one can go to the 24 or 40 pancake lenses or the nifty fifty and any Canon made in the last 8 years, and do pretty well for oneself.
These are both good points and I do worry that I spend so much time and effort agonising over what is the best equipment to use that I miss the moment and end up with nothing at all.
This lens fever - some people call it GAS - creeps up on you unnoticed. New products always look exciting and interesting and by the time I have watched a few reviews I feel compelled to run out to the shops and buy a copy before I have really thought about whether I need it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Ian_of_glos said:
These are both good points and I do worry that I spend so much time and effort agonising over what is the best equipment to use that I miss the moment and end up with nothing at all.
This lens fever - some people call it GAS - creeps up on you unnoticed. New products always look exciting and interesting and by the time I have watched a few reviews I feel compelled to run out to the shops and buy a copy before I have really thought about whether I need it.

I don't have issues with the first (deciding what gear to use and missing a shot). Although I have a wide array of lenses (at least one in every 'category' in the EF lineup), I generally go out with a specific goal in mind. If I'm traveling to a city in Europe, I don't bring a marco lens or a supertele, but I do bring wide and standard lenses and 1-2 TS-E. If I'm going out to shoot birds, I bring the 600/4, although do throw in the 40/2.8 'body cap' just to have a standard lens along.

The lens fever bit I do understand. Oooooo, a new TS-E Macro lens. Cool! But I've been able to avoid temptation. When the 16-35/4L IS came out, I almost jumped...but considered my main use (architecture) and decided that the TS-E 17 would better suit my needs.

I think the key is 'needs' – figure out what they are, and which of them cannot be met by your current gear, then get the right gear to address the need.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
takesome1 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Who's Brian? :eek: :p ::)

Maybe he used his wife and her PHD in CS to find out your real name.

Could be. If so, she's not very skilled at CS, and if he needed help to click a single, easily seen link, that's just plain sad.

—John

He thinks you run TDP (a not unknown misconception) and has dyslexia or is it dislexia.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
neuroanatomist said:
takesome1 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Who's Brian? :eek: :p ::)

Maybe he used his wife and her PHD in CS to find out your real name.

Could be. If so, she's not very skilled at CS, and if he needed help to click a single, easily seen link, that's just plain sad.

—John

He thinks you run TDP (a not unknown misconception) and has dyslexia or is it dislexia.

If the misconception is true, Bryan did a great job creating a fake identity.
Or if the opposite personality is real, whose daughters does Neuro use for models when he is doing demo shots as Bryan.

Upvote 0